Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

USB ports

Hussain17

Is the USB port near the glovebox then only one that support Apple CarPlay/Android Auto. I have not found a solution where you can have a USB stick installed for music whilst having Apple CarPlay running as well

I believe that the other USB port is charge only. A rather odd decision from Toyota because a hidden data port would be very useful. Also I don't think it's necessary to have a charge only USB port. Properly designed ports can operate in either mode. My previous car had three USB ports, one up front, two hidden in the arm rest and they all offered data and high speed charging.

Mind you that car also needed a dedicated adaptor for Apple devices which was odd.

• Like 2

Mine is due next week, I seem to recall someone mentioning a hub was an option. Most probably,  that is what I will try.

Also, it is the most bizarre, and non NCAP friendly place to locate a port! (you can get low profile angled USB extensions wires though)

I believe that the other USB port is charge only. A rather odd decision from Toyota because a hidden data port would be very useful. Also I don't think it's necessary to have a charge only USB port. Properly designed ports can operate in either mode. My previous car had three USB ports, one up front, two hidden in the arm rest and they all offered data and high speed charging.
Mind you that car also needed a dedicated adaptor for Apple devices which was odd.
GR Sport doesn't even get that. One USB in the dash, no Aux port, and no USB charger. Oh, and no 12v socket in the boot.

Sent from my Brain using my Fingers

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Mine is due next week, I seem to recall someone mentioning a hub was an option. Most probably,  that is what I will try.
Also, it is the most bizarre, and non NCAP friendly place to locate a port! (you can get low profile angled USB extensions wires though)
I bought a hub lead, but there's little point. It won't run both at the same time. You can have either Android Auto or the USB.

• Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Hugo Nebula said:

I bought a hub lead, but there's little point. It won't run both at the same time. You can have either Android Auto or the USB.

I'm finding a few posts elsewhere that the issue is power. If the USB hub is powered it might work. Of course then you have the problem of where do you get the power from?

• Like 1

I could probably power fairly easily,  but a lot of messing,  I may test.

Otherwise,  since I use TomTom on Android(AAuto incompat),  and my work iPhone won't allow media,its carry on with my phone mount, so I can use my memory stick for media 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I'm finding a few posts elsewhere that the issue is power. If the USB hub is powered it might work. Of course then you have the problem of where do you get the power from?

It’s not a power issue, I’ve tried several hubs.  CP just will not work through a hub. Many discussions on the Web and on Apple Community. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian.S said:

It’s not a power issue, I’ve tried several hubs.  CP just will not work through a hub. Many discussions on the Web and on Apple Community. 

Yeah, just reading up on them. It's because it uses USB OTG and the phone becomes the master device with the infotainment unit being the peripheral (which is the reverse of normal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

"USB OTG does not preclude using a USB hub, but it describes host-peripheral role swapping only for the case of a one-to-one connection where two OTG devices are directly connected. Role swapping does not work through a standard hub, as one device will act as a host and the other as a peripheral until they are disconnected."

If you search for 'USB OTG hub' you get lots of product hits but they only seem to be claiming that they can be a host, not that they can act as an intermediary.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I bought a small hub, keep my short jump drive plugged into it, and the cord for phone attached.  When the cord isn't plugged in to phone, the jump drive is accessed as normal.  If I plug in the phone, Android auto "overrides" the jump drive.  You can't use both, but it eliminates plugging and unplugging things in the car's USB port

Just come across this issue myself - can't use Android Auto and listen to usb stored music at the same time.

The usb port in centre storage box is charge only. 

How annoying....has there been a solution since OP posted?

Just come across this issue myself - can't use Android Auto and listen to usb stored music at the same time.

The usb port in centre storage box is charge only. 

How annoying....has there been a solution since OP posted?

There is a fair amount of speculation on this post. 
The USB port on the Prius is also a data port. The Corolla audio is the same. 

10 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

There is a fair amount of speculation on this post. 
The USB port on the Prius is also a data port. The Corolla audio is the same. 

Huh...😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolando1 said:

Huh...😕

Plug your phone into USB port. And select usb input on audio unit. Tada. 

6 hours ago, PaulDM said:

Plug your phone into USB port. And select usb input on audio unit. Tada. 

Yes that works but what about at the same time I want to listen to music saved on a USB memory stick (i.e. music not saved on my phone). I don't have unlimited data to stream all the time and would rather not save my music collection on my phone's memory.

This is one of a growing number of things I really don’t like about this car. For the workhorse model in the Toyota range, the lack of planning, user friendliness and just plain common sense which has been used here is astounding. Toyota are literally years behind other brands on these issues.

• Like 1

I got to say Toyota are behind when it comes to utilising tech by first not including Apple android car play then adding one usb for rear passengers in the central glovebox when most other car makes at £25-35k would have a set of usb for passengers ! 
today’s family needs are tech demanding so car makers need to respond   

Copy music to SD card, insert SD card in phone. You're just using the phone as the USB reader. Problem solved.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2021 at 2:18 PM, MagicBoy said:

Copy music to SD card, insert SD card in phone. You're just using the phone as the USB reader. Problem solved.

Agree, works as you described it. Using rocket player on android auto

On 3/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Rolando1 said:

Yes that works but what about at the same time I want to listen to music saved on a USB memory stick (i.e. music not saved on my phone). I don't have unlimited data to stream all the time and would rather not save my music collection on my phone's memory.

SOLVED:

looks like the head unit is sensitive to both the format and size of the usb stick. 
Tried it with the a 64gb stick formatted as exfat and the head unit messaged “unable to attach audio player”

reformatted the same stick with only an 8gb partition formatted Fat32 

then selected the usb stick as the source (name usb2 was the name of the stick)

successfully played mp3 m4a mp4 and wav

5E4B4809-D081-410B-8909-47394841EB9C.thumb.jpeg.d9efeab73aa85660d96c3d0ca55c32e9.jpeg

B4F11678-AF3B-4122-9846-820C0EC8EC8D.thumb.jpeg.c6a8696b541d82d01f2b98561940b687.jpeg

21 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

SOLVED:

looks like the head unit is sensitive to both the format and size of the usb stick. 
Tried it with the a 64gb stick formatted as exfat and the head unit messaged “unable to attach audio player”

reformatted the same stick with only an 8gb partition formatted Fat32 

then selected the usb stick as the source (name usb2 was the name of the stick)

successfully played mp3 m4a mp4 and wav

5E4B4809-D081-410B-8909-47394841EB9C.thumb.jpeg.d9efeab73aa85660d96c3d0ca55c32e9.jpeg

B4F11678-AF3B-4122-9846-820C0EC8EC8D.thumb.jpeg.c6a8696b541d82d01f2b98561940b687.jpeg

Thanks for the info. But then like OP mentioned how do you get Android auto to work at the same time as listening to music from the USB stick?

12 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

Thanks for the info. But then like OP mentioned how do you get Android auto to work at the same time as listening to music from the USB stick?

I don’t use android auto but the native head unit to play. Android auto wouldn’t have a connection path to the external usb I’m guessing. You might see lucky that it would show as a new input source if the stick is recognisable and in the right format. 
How do you play cd’s with android auto?

1 hour ago, PaulDM said:

I don’t use android auto but the native head unit to play. Android auto wouldn’t have a connection path to the external usb I’m guessing. You might see lucky that it would show as a new input source if the stick is recognisable and in the right format. 
How do you play cd’s with android auto?

You don't. Use Android auto for navigation. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links