Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USB ports

Hussain17

2 hours ago, PaulDM said:

I don’t use android auto but the native head unit to play. Android auto wouldn’t have a connection path to the external usb I’m guessing. You might see lucky that it would show as a new input source if the stick is recognisable and in the right format. 
How do you play cd’s with android auto?

A better question is why would you want to play CDs?

Rip your music and copy the files onto your phone. Most mobile phones should have enough storage to hold dozens of hours of music, hundreds of hours if you install a bigger memory card. My phone has my entire music collection (nearly 6,000 albums) on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

A better question is why would you want to play CDs?

Rip your music and copy the files onto your phone. Most mobile phones should have enough storage to hold dozens of hours of music, hundreds of hours if you install a bigger memory card. My phone has my entire music collection (nearly 6,000 albums) on it.

Lol it’s not about me. It’s about android auto. 
not saying I do as I use the head unit and Apple music gives me all I need

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolando1 said:

You don't. Use Android auto for navigation. 

Nope I use the built in maps an nav for my model 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, AndrueC said:

That makes good sense although the best way of all is streaming over your Internet connection - no worries about storage space or file formats and if you create playlists of your content, you have the ideal customised music delivery system. I use Spotify for streaming what's there and and Amazon Music mostly for my own stuff in playlists. (I used to use Google Play music until that dropped and YouTube music succeeded it.) This is my ideal. I realise not everyone can do it with the major issue being reliable and consistent network connectivity. If you can, though, it's the best. I manage it via Android Auto.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luke717 said:

That makes good sense although the best way of all is streaming over your Internet connection - no worries about storage space or file formats and if you create playlists of your content, you have the ideal customised music delivery system. I use Spotify for streaming what's there and and Amazon Music mostly for my own stuff in playlists. (I used to use Google Play Music until that dropped and YouTube Music succeeded it.) This is my ideal. I realise not everyone can do it with the major issue being reliable and consistent network connectivity. If you can, though, it's the best. I manage it via Android Auto.

You could be right. Unfortunately (if that's the right word) I have my own music server and thousands of albums so I've never made the move over to a streaming service.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 3:41 PM, PaulDM said:

SOLVED:

looks like the head unit is sensitive to both the format and size of the usb stick. 
Tried it with the a 64gb stick formatted as exfat and the head unit messaged “unable to attach audio player”

reformatted the same stick with only an 8gb partition formatted Fat32 

then selected the usb stick as the source (name usb2 was the name of the stick)

successfully played mp3 m4a mp4 and wav

5E4B4809-D081-410B-8909-47394841EB9C.thumb.jpeg.d9efeab73aa85660d96c3d0ca55c32e9.jpeg

B4F11678-AF3B-4122-9846-820C0EC8EC8D.thumb.jpeg.c6a8696b541d82d01f2b98561940b687.jpeg

Aint working with me. Did try to reformat it to 8gb fat32, but USB is not detecting it. 

Simply using android auto, rocket player for music and maps for nav.

Are you using a decent cable to connect to the data USB? Some cables will charge devices but be rubbish at anything else 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, Gkeko said:

Aint working with me. Did try to reformat it to 8gb fat32, but USB is not detecting it. 

Simply using android auto, rocket player for music and maps for nav.

Format your usb drive in MBR and FAT32 with default. I tried 4 USB sticker. all of them over 32GB. they all work. also use them for update the head unit map 2021 V2

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 6:28 AM, Rolando1 said:

Yes that works but what about at the same time I want to listen to music saved on a USB memory stick (i.e. music not saved on my phone). I don't have unlimited data to stream all the time and would rather not save my music collection on my phone's memory.

Hi, If you have an android phone your other option is you can add a mini SSD card to your phone and store your music on there? That way you wont use up all your phones internal storage. If you have an iPhone your outta luck I'm afraid!. 😕

Not all Android phones have a SD slot. My Samsung Galaxy S22 doesn't. I have my MP3 music and MP4 videos on a little USB stick that is about 1 inch long.

9 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

Not all Android phones have a SD slot. My Samsung Galaxy S22 doesn't. I have my MP3 music and MP4 videos on a little USB stick that is about 1 inch long.

Oh man that sucks! Hope Samsung doesn't end up rip off artists like iPhone. That's the main reason I went the way of the android phones was the ability to add extra storage and have my music on there without having to run everything through imusic!! 😕

My Pixel 6 doesn't have a card slot.

The S21 I got rid of ( awful buggy phone ) didn't have a card slot either. 

A large number of phones have their SD card slot as part of the SIM tray for some godawful reason, so it's worth checking as it may have a (micro) SD card slot afterall!

• Like 1

The S22 definitely does not have a SD slot. However, I have hundreds of MP3 files and a lot of MP4 videos on my little USB stick, (it is nowhere near full), and as I do not use the USB slot for owt else, I am happy enough with the set up. I also have a fair few music tracks in the phones memory, which I can play on the Infotainment thingy via bluetooth.

Aww that sucks. It does feel like android support for external storage has been getting worse - I remember when you install apps onto the sdcard as a standard feature but I've found a lot of modern phones don't let you do that so you're stuck with whatever storage the phone came with.

I remember when 32GB was considered a lot of storage, but nowadays most of that could be taken up by the OS!!

At least it's still not as bad as Apple stuff I guess...

I don't know why they're so hostile to putting things like ports and expansion slots given how massive modern phones are now - It's hilarious we've gone from massive early brick mobile phones, to small Nokia phones, and now we're back at giant brick phones again :laugh: 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

…,given how massive modern phones are now - It's hilarious we've gone from massive early brick mobile phones, to small Nokia phones, and now we're back at giant brick phones again :laugh: 

SUPs ? Sport Utility Phone??

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, I wonder what happened in 2 years and maybe you figured out this problem.

As of now... my GR Sport Hatch only has the one USB near glovebox.  The Touring Sport (I think) does have another USB in the centre box and a 12v in the boot space.  This is clearly a lack of thought on Toyota's part as most cars these days do have a minimum of 2 USB.  Although I understand the benefit of a Touring to have an extra 12v in boot space over that of a hatchback... although would be a good option to have as standard.

The Apple Car Play / Android is a great thing to have as long as it works... and I have that purely for phone use and not for music.  The USB by the glove box has it's fault by no protection from knees knocking the USB stick whilst connected.  I overcame that by getting an angled USB adapter lead and then my flashdrive just lays in the space infront of the gear shift.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:48 PM, DRonyYon said:

Hmm, I wonder what happened in 2 years and maybe you figured out this problem.

Personally, I'm just planning to buy a Toyota and I want to weigh the pros and cons. It's just that this will be my first car and I'm a little worried and it's hard for me to deal with all aspects. As far as I understand, you are talking about a usb input for charging the phone, one of my friends said that it seems you can connect a USB flash drive there through the adapter and turn on the music, have you tried to do that? Maybe he just decided to make fun of me, so don't try such experiments with a flash drive if you're not sure. At least transfer all the important data from this flash drive to another medium so that you don't have to do data recovery.Well, do you think Toyota is a good choice for the first car?

On the subject of Android Auto and Apple car play. Can you have Android Auto running for maps/media via usb and can you connect the I phone for calls only via bluetooth?

I use my personal Android phone for Google maps and music but my work phone that needs to be connected to the car for calls is an I phone. I am hoping bluetooth can handle the calls so I can use Android for everything else.

3 hours ago, Chuffmonkey said:

On the subject of Android Auto and Apple car play. Can you have Android Auto running for maps/media via usb and can you connect the I phone for calls only via Bluetooth?

I use my personal Android phone for Google maps and music but my work phone that needs to be connected to the car for calls is an I phone. I am hoping Bluetooth can handle the calls so I can use Android for everything else.

Can't comment for Android Auto, but to my knowledge Apple CarPlay disables bluetooth for other devices.  As your profile says you have a 2022 Corolla, if you have an Icon Tech or above model you should have the new multimedia so can still get live traffic using the inbuilt Nav on the inbuilt Sim card.  If your music is able to be stored on a USB then that can be plugged into the USB socket and bluetooth can then attach to your work phone 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, DRonyYon said:

As far as I understand, you are talking about a usb input for charging the phone, one of my friends said that it seems you can connect a USB flash drive there through the adapter and turn on the music, have you tried to do that?

Well, do you think Toyota is a good choice for the first car?

He's right.  Plug a USB stick into the socket near the glove box and select USB on the media system. 

To charge a phone as well, use a 12v USB plug in the arm rest socket. 

First car?  Brilliant choice though perhaps not for boy racers.  If you want range and economy it's the bees knees. 

Hi, my first post. Have just exchanged my Exel for a GRS as happy with the Corolla. Obviously the majority of things are the same but my one big disappointment, though a minor issue in the scope of things is, there is only 1 USB port. Pretty limited thinking.

With the Exel I used a low profile stick in the USB beside the glove compartment and charged the phone with the USB beside the driver.

Now I have to go and find a power socket with a USB to charge the phone from. The more I write the more annoyed I get as to why someone decided to omit the second USB.

Gripe over, I think as I've only had the car a few hours.

Is there a 12v socket in the centre arm rest?