Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suzuki Swace - Suzuki equivalent to Corolla Touring Sports

FROSTYBALLS

Saw that. Interesting, but I can't help wondering what the point is, as it seems barely any different to the Corolla itself (albeit without the 2L engine option).

One of the weirdest collaborations that i've ever seen. Most manufacturers share engines/parts/chassis but the exterior is unique to each one but not here, this is a toyota with a suzuki Badge on it even the photos look to be photoshoped with the suzuki logo lol.

46 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Maybe cheaper price for the same spec., 

Well I wondered that, but the article finishes up saying "Prices are likely to stick closely to that of the Corolla Touring Sports, which begins at £27,000" and you'd think Toyota would be very wary of losing too many customers to Suzuki, even if they are collaborating closely.

Also, blimey, is that really the starting price for a TS these days? I'm sure my Auris was about £22k list only 5 years ago, and that's for an Icon+ (though happily I paid a lot less as it was a pre-reg).

• Like 1

Presumably Suzuki will retain their 3 year/60,000 mile warranty.

As regards the contract between the two companies, Toyota will supply hybrid tech to Suzuki for global use and the versions of the Rav 4 and Corolla already announced, for sale in Europe. Two Suzuki compact cars will be rebadged Toyota for sale in India, and the two will develop a new MPV for sale there by both companies. Toyota will also have rebadged Suzuki models for sale in Africa. Toyota will also produce a Suzuki engine in Poland for use in a forthcoming compact car.

In some ways the collaboration is no different to the one with PSA, where Toyota sell PSA produced vans and MPVs with minimal external changes - ie the Proace/Expert/Traveller/Despatch/Spacetourer and the Proace City/Partner/Rifter/Berlingo.

• 4 months later...

I must have been sleeping. I only discovered the Suzuki Swace watching a CarWow video today, about least depreciating vehicles.

I would say it's a compliment that Toyota shares a complete car with another  manufacturer. Actual two with the Rav4.

I can imagine Suzuki owners coming on this forum for advice! 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, King Crimson said:

One of the weirdest collaborations that i've ever seen. Most manufacturers share engines/parts/chassis but the exterior is unique to each one but not here, this is a toyota with a suzuki badge on it even the photos look to be photoshoped with the suzuki logo lol.

Yes, thinking the same. I think Toyota runs a risk of brand dilution with this. Sales, too, if buyers compare their wishlists and find they can get what they want ££ cheaper with the Suzuki. Still, not knowing anything about Toyota's strategy and goals, it's hard to determine. The Suzuki version isn't the same spec as the Corolla in the UK. For starters the Suzuki version has blind spot monitoring, the Corolla Excel has full leather seats.

• Like 1

Not about sales.

One of the reasons for the Suzuki Swace (Corolla Touring Sport) and the Across (Rav4 plug-in with different frontal trearment) is to lower Suzuki's fleet average of CO2 emissions, which now has to be below 95 grams per km.

This was also why Suzuki stopped importing the passenger version of the latest Jiimny.

Doesn't matter how many Swace or Across Suzuki sell, their fleet average has been lowered.

Toyota have also pooled their CO2 emissions with Mazda to enable Mazda reduce their fleet average and avoid heavy fines. This isn't Toyota's only collaboration with Mazda, as they used Toyota's hybrid system for the Mazda 3 hybrid.

Toyota owns approx 5% of both Suzuki and Mazda.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not about sales.

One of the reasons for the Suzuki Swace (Corolla Touring Sport) and the Across (Rav4 plug-in with different frontal trearment) is to lower Suzuki's fleet average of CO2 emissions, which now has to be below 95 grams per km.

This was also why Suzuki stopped importing the passenger version of the latest Jiimny.

Doesn't matter how many Swace or Across Suzuki sell, their fleet average has been lowered.

Toyota have also pooled their CO2 emissions with Mazda to enable Mazda reduce their fleet average and avoid heavy fines. This isn't Toyota's only collaboration with Mazda, as they used Toyota's hybrid system for the Mazda 3 hybrid.

Toyota owns approx 5% of both Suzuki and Mazda.

Agree, it may not be about sales. But it seems to me that offering a clone of one of your best selling models at a lesser price in a major market will dent your brand (and probably sales). I don't know what Toyota's strategic objectives are here, though, so hard to be confident with opinions.

Toyota's key markets are the US, Japan, Asia and then Europe.

Hasn't affected Toyota in other markets. In Asian markets Daihatsus have been rebadged as Toyotas (eg Daihatsu Boon/Sirion)Toyota Passo) and vice versa (eg Toyota Prius+/Daihatsu Mebius). In the US the most recent Toyota Yaris was a rebadged Mazda2.

Don't think today's buyers are too bothered about who makes what.

But if they made in the same factory by Toyota and sold under Suzuki Badge through their network, Toyota still makes its bit in each sale as this is their own product. That’s for Mazda hybrid is interesting then, it might be a very different car to look and feel and comes with the same Toyota drive train, hm perhaps more interesting than rebadged Corolla.👍👌🚗

On 2/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hasn't affected Toyota in other markets. In Asian markets Daihatsus have been rebadged as Toyotas (eg Daihatsu Boon/Sirion)Toyota Passo)

Stumbled upon a second gen yaris with a Daihatsu logo a few weeks ago, this explains it lol

8 minutes ago, King Crimson said:

Stumbled upon a second gen yaris with a Daihatsu

One of the reasons Daihatsu were having difficulties in Europe was the strength of the Yen against European currencies, which made their Japanese built models expensive. For a short period they sold the French built Yaris as a Daihatsu. However, this proved to just delay their withdrawal from Europe.