Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android Auto + Music, not possible?

Harrr

I got my new Corolla a few days ago. 

Pairing up my phone (Android) was no issue, paired to "Car Multimedia" via bluetooth, played music from the phone without issues.

Yesterday I decided to use Android Auto for navigation. This does not seem to work via bluetooth, instead it launches immediately when I connect my phone to the USB port in the car. Again, this worked perfectly well and after an initial setup, when I connect the phone I can get the Google maps driving screen showing on the car screen no problems. 

The issue is...while I was using the navigation, I tried to play music like before...to find that when the USB is connected, the bluetooth source is disabled for music. I literally cannot be playing music phone my phone via bluetooth at the same time as android auto is on.I could only chose AM/FM Radio at that point.

Is this by design or am I doing something wrong? 

Am I literally going to have to buy a phone holder, use the phone screen for navigation, wasting the larger screen right beside it, to play music via bluetooth and ignore android auto?

Shouldn't you just be playing music from your phone via Android Auto? That's how it works on Carplay, the bluetooth connection is disabled but it's not really relevant because you can then use the music or any other Audio app inside the Carplay environment.

1 hour ago, Wudzi said:

Shouldn't you just be playing music from your phone via Android Auto? That's how it works on Carplay, the Bluetooth connection is disabled but it's not really relevant because you can then use the Music or any other Audio app inside the Carplay environment.

Sounds like that's what I am doing wrong. So I should just go ahead and launch spotify (or whatever music app on my phone, then start google maps) and that will work? I'll try later.

Yes if you have spotify it should show up as one for the apps

You could download VLC app if you want to play music through AA from your phone. I think most of the other apps are paid for subscriptions.

You can switch between apps in AA and the music will still play.

The USB will only accept one input at a time (even with a hub), so you can have a USB drive with music on, or a phone with Android Auto running (to play the music stored on the phone or a streaming service).

Whether you connect via bluetooth or AA via a cable, it's the same music from your phone. You can still control it via the steering wheel buttons, etc.

If you connect via bluetooth, you can use your phone for music (and have another USB plugged in), but you wouldn't have Google maps or Waze via Android Auto on the car's screen. You could still have AA running on the phone's screen.

It's a shame that this car doesn't have wireless Android Auto. That would be such a leap forward.

Sent from my Brain using my Fingers

• Like 1

when Android Auto is connected,can you still have cars Dab radio playing?
Yes.

Sent from my Brain using my Fingers

Just to confirm, Android Auto (via USB cable) works perfectly well and I was being thick. 

I can have Spotify playing music, Google maps for the map/navigation, and control what music is played through the various controls. 

What it doesn't do (or I don't know how to do yet) is take music related commands like "Play Metallica", it says it's not connected to an audio source, even though the music is playing. 

I don't feel I'm missing out because I usually just select one of my long playlists on shuffle before I start my drive and that stays on throughout

29 minutes ago, Harrr said:

Just to confirm, Android Auto (via USB cable) works perfectly well and I was being thick. 

I can have Spotify playing music, Google maps for the map/navigation, and control what music is played through the various controls. 

What it doesn't do (or I don't know how to do yet) is take music related commands like "Play Metallica", it says it's not connected to an audio source, even though the music is playing. 

I don't feel I'm missing out because I usually just select one of my long playlists on shuffle before I start my drive and that stays on throughout

When using Android auto you need to use "OK Google" and "Hey Siri" for Apple carplay. I know Hey Siri does not need a button press to activate not sure for AA however a long press on the steering wheel "talk" button activates OK Google/Hey Siri ( short press activates Toyota's voice control which cannot control AA/CP )

Try saying OK Google play Metallica, again not sure on AA but on CP I can say Hey Siri Play..... on Spotify etc to make it use Spotify otherwise if I say Hey siri play Madonna it will always try and play from Apple music.