Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery died today, Will replacing Bulbs to LED help with battery life

zelda89

I've had the Verso for around 3 weeks now, it's a 1.6 63 plate and today the Battery died. I've since replaced the Battery but I was thinking the DRL can't be good for the Battery especially if I mainly do short journeys, not enough to charge the battery.

So I'm looking at possibly replacing the bulbs with LED as I understand they don't use as muchpower as conventional bulbs. Has anyone installed LED bulbs and what are your experiences? Any issues/ errors?

I've seen these on Amazon which look reasonable...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0749LWPCB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xz9yFbAY0BTHE

37 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Nothing wrong with DRL if your battery is dying check you alternator or you should have bought a higher capacity battery

I think it's the same Battery from new so probably on its way out. I believe the replacement is a higher capacity unit. But surely these halogen lights would be sapping the Battery regardless of capacity. Do you use LED on your car?

If this Battery packs in then you're probably right about the alternator

Swapping bulbs to LED types will have zero impact on the Battery. When the engine is running, even if just idling, the alternator will be supplying all electrical demands. It is dead easy to check with a multimeter. The Battery voltage measured across the terminals and with the engine running should not go below around 12.6 volts even with headlights and heated screen on. Anything above that and the Battery is not being discharged at all.

• Thanks 1

His main problem is the short distance of driving as he stated. I used to have RAV4 and used for school runs and the Battery dies every 2- 3 years. What you need is a trickle charger c-tek make one. I have a charging plug hanged out of the front grill and it will allow convenient charging without opening the bonnet.

• Thanks 1

That's exactly what I've been doing for past week or so, and yesterday I did around 5 very short journeys. I use to trickle charge my previous cars many moons ago when living at my parents who have a drive, but unfortunately this car is parked on the public road so I can't really do it now.

So would you say LED is a pointless exercise?

1 hour ago, Perfection said:

His main problem is the short distance of driving as he stated. I used to have RAV4 and used for school runs and the battery dies every 2- 3 years. What you need is a trickle charger c-tek make one. I have a charging plug hanged out of the front grill and it will allow convenient charging without opening the bonnet.

31 minutes ago, zelda89 said:

So would you say LED is a pointless exercise?

It is a pointless exercise because once the engine is running the Battery no longer supplies energy (in other words it is not being discharged). The alternator takes over completely.

So it doesn't matter if you have tiny LED lights or powerful halogens, the Battery sees no change in its operating conditions at all... as long as the engine runs and the alternator is charging.

If a Battery on an older car is going flat (and the battery is genuinely OK) then I would look toward other causes such as 3rd party accessory fitments and last of all a 'hidden' fault of something discharging the battery. Our old Corolla had two or three years of only doing 500 to 1000 miles annually and sometimes stood for two weeks in winter between being used for very short journeys of a couple of miles at most. The battery never gave cause for concern. 

• Thanks 1

The biggest drain on the Battery is the starter motor to turn the engine over from cold. Next to that, the demands of halogen DRLs is a drop in the ocean. £20 worth of LEDs would be better spent on a higher quality Battery IMO.

As has been said above - the alternator will supply enough current to keep the systems powered once the engine is started, and spare capacity to recharge the Battery.

• Thanks 1

MagicBoy is correct. Don't mess around with the lights that won't fix your problem.

Just drive your car say Mon and Thurs each week for at least 30min you will have enough charge for the short distance and starting.

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks, I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll save myself a few quid.

Just changing the subject ever so slightly buying the replacement Battery was an absolute pain and it took 3 attempts to get the right one. The first was too small, the second too short. Finally end up getting a Lucas Premium 027 which fitted pefectly.

Have you considered a solar charger? I put a panel on my dashboard and it kept my Battery in good condition through the months of lockdown when I wasn't driving at all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Have you considered a solar charger? I put a panel on my dashboard and it kept my battery in good condition through the months of lockdown when I wasn't driving at all.

Interesting, I never knew there was such thing. Thanks I'll looked into it 👍

A standard solar panel trickle charger, say 8w won't be able to solve your problem. I.e. your short distance drive and starting. The solar trickle charger is only to top up the energy drained by your alarm and other car electronics.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links