Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota's Extended Warranty

BigRedSwitch

I've been offered an extended warranty on my car by Toyota.  Seems reasonable on the face of it but there is a condition attached - the replacement of parts due to wear & tear is not covered.  Why else would a part fail after 5 years if not for wear & tear?  Of course, they could be referring to things like worn seat fabric for example and no-one would reasonably argue that should be covered, imho.  But what about a wheel bearing?  What, other than wear & tear, is going to cause a bearing to fail?  Suspension and steering are included in the warranty but it could come down to subjective decision whether a wheel bearing is covered or not by the warranty.

Thoughts?  Has anyone taken out an extended warranty and found any problems with it?

The majority of warranties, whether new product or extended, exclude wear and tear. We've had extended warranties in the past, not Toyota, and not had an issue. 

Additionally the Toyota extended warranty includes breakdown cover (currently the AA), MOT tests, and MOT cover (£10 excess) for the duration of the warranty.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty#:~:text=Toyota extended warranties are available for a 12,an Approved Toyota Centre%2C using genuine Toyota parts.

On a Honda we had with an Honda extended warranty, the car failed the first MOT on front bushes - no problem with the MOT cover, just incurred  the £10 MOT cover excess for replacement of bushes on both sides. We also had a faulty driver's airbag replaced on a Mazda with a Mazda extended warranty - cost fo the part at the time was £750.

Thanks Mike.  I rang the company that administers the warranty for Toyota but they would not tell me whether my example of a noisy wheel bearing would be covered.  Your experiences are encouraging but hopefully other members will have tales to tell.

pasting the below which i posted in a different thread in 2017. Years = age of car at the time of claim

My opinion? Go for it.

From memory...

Alternator failure at 85,000 miles / 8 years - covered

Clutch making a rattling noise at 58,000 / 5 years - covered

Air con compressor making a rattle when engine idling at 80,000 / 7 years - covered

Drivers door seal leaking water - covered

Thermostat housing o-ring - 76,000 - 7 years - covered

Intermediate steering shaft due to knocking on steering - 72,000 - 7 years - covered

DPF sensor pipes blocked - 55,000miles / 5 years - covered

I never had an issue with rejected claims and as you can see a lot weren't even failures they were rattles/knocking. Do however note - that for a lot of the above issues Toyota had released technical service bulletins (I think this was the term...)  for them which 'authenticated' the issues which could be a reason why my dealer had no issues claiming.

I had it on Prius MK2 before and had rear lights replaced under warranty due to condensation. Also, the breakdown cover is one of the top packages and includes home assistance and European cover. Will get it for Auris when it is 5 years old.

Well, I'm glad I asked.  I shall buy the warranty with confidence.  Than you all. 

No more replies needed, thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I was told in march of this year that the rear brake callipers needed to be replaced on my 2010 avensis and it should be covered by the extended warranty i had.

The claim  for the repair was made to toyota and declined based on the callipers being rusty.

If you take a warranty out on an older car beware as they can refuse just about any claim based on rust.

I had the car repaired else where at my own cost and wasnt very happy.

5 minutes ago, Ginger96 said:

I was told in march of this year that the rear brake callipers needed to be replaced on my 2010 avensis and it should be covered by the extended warranty i had.

The claim  for the repair was made to toyota and declined based on the callipers being rusty.

If you take a warranty out on an older car beware as they can refuse just about any claim based on rust.

I had the car repaired else where at my own cost and wasnt very happy.

The Toyota extended warranty has been replaced by the Relax warranty - details in General Discussions.

Has it actually been replaced or can you still take out an extended warranty? As mentioned previously the terms of the Relax warranty are much more stringent and limiting than the extended one...

@Ginger96 - It seems a bit scummy they didn't replace the caliper under warranty - Had this been brought up as an issue in previous MOT/services? If it was and ignored then I can understand why it'd be rejected, but if this was the first time and it was not a historical problem that doesn't seem right...!

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Has it actually been replaced or can you still take out an extended warranty?

Yes it has been replaced. Owners who currently have an extended warranty and haven't claimed on the extension, can get a refund if they wish and go with Relax. To do this it would be best to wait til their next service before changing to ensure they have continuity of cover.

• Thanks 1

Oh okay. Not sure how I feel about that, but good to know!

Suppose having two extended warranty schemes will only lead to confusion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links