Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol nozzle keeps clicking at petrol pump

wadi16

Stupid question guys...i was filling at the pump today but the nozzle clicker kept going off (as though to signal the tank was full...but it wasn't).

This happened a good 10-15 times before it let me fill as normal and petrol continuously flowed. Any idea why? I even went to a different petrol station during this and the same thing happened so I know its linked to the car.

Never had this issue before.

• Like 1

Stupid question guys...i was filling at the pump today but the nozzle clicker kept going off (as though to signal the tank was full...but it wasn't).
This happened a good 10-15 times before it let me fill as normal and petrol continuously flowed. Any idea why? I even went to a different petrol station during this and the same thing happened so I know its linked to the car.
Never had this issue before.
That would be the pump system to protect you from over filling if you want to put in say £15 but clicks at £14.90 slide out slightly and it will fill up the other 10p this is not the case if it clicks at £14.50 I would my advice doing this as it will over fill your tank and in some cases will come out the breather pipe

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

See here: https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-the-gas-pump-keeps-shutting-off-on-you-all-1842036809

Be careful to avoid over-filling as this can damage the charcoal canister which is quite expensive.

• Like 1

So, you going from a situ where you lots of space in your tank for fuel. Are you putting the fuel pipe in the tank and fully squeeze the trigger?  If so, be a bit more gentle initially and progressively squeeze the trigger. Just different technique needed I think.

• Like 1

I always have to put it in a certain angle, and then it'll work properly, and clicks off when its full. I never brim the tank,

• Like 3

As I said “just try different techniques”.  Wiz210 confirms that.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

My tank only had 1 bar left on it so it could be the case that I pulled the 'trigger' too fast on an empty-ish tank! Usually I never let the tank go below half empty/full so I've never had this issue.

I really appreciate all the advice here as it certain fixes the issue :) Thanks again everyone!

Mine does the same, tried a different angle and starting slowly still doesn't help but at least when the tank is full you get a number of short clicks together so you can't over fill.

• 10 months later...

He is right, am having the same problem with my Toyota aygo 

I tried different pumps different stations and even asked other aygo drivers. 
terrible takes me forever to fill up

I suspect there is some kind of filter at the neck.  Overtime, the filter get clogged hence petrol not flowing into the tank fast enough.  Thereby triggering the stop function at the gun.  However, until I take the neck out to examine, it remains as suspicion.

My method is DO NOT INSERT ALL THE WAY IT.  Pull it slightly so you are effectively giving it some room.  Also be gentle on the trigger. 

What works for me on both my previous Mark 1 and my current Mark 2 is to insert the nozzle with the handle horizontally towards the rear of the car. With the handle vertical my experience is that it clicks almost immediately, but this way it only clicks when the tank is almost full - just enough space left to round up to the next pound!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

What works for me on both my previous Mark 1 and my current Mark 2 is to insert the nozzle with the handle horizontally towards the rear of the car. With the handle vertical my experience is that it clicks almost immediately, but this way it only clicks when the tank is almost full - just enough space left to round up to the next pound!

Then you go and pay by card??????

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Then you go and pay by card??????

Of course, I just like to keep the numbers tidy - some would say slightly OCD?

• Haha 2

I do that too, but with the litres! In my defence it makes the mpg calculation easier :laugh: 

It’s all about back pressure. Tilt the nozzle so there is an air gap or it’s not so tight in the refuelling hole. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links