Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Moved onto a gen2 prius phv

johalareewi

Just had to find out how to change the clock. On the gen1 plugin there were clock buttons on the dashboard.  Not so on the gen2.

With all this hi tech wizardry in the gen2 plugin you would think Toyota could get the clock to automatically change to/from daylight saving time.  My 1990s Astra did it.  😞

• 1 month later...

Are You still , after owning gen 2 for a while, satisfied with gen 2 seats compared to gen1 seats ?

( Now I got one more quite nice deal to swap my Prius Plug In 2015 gen1 for an 2018 gen 2 plug in at my local dealer. So I'm about to give gen 2 another chanse but I'm a bit concerned about the gen 2 's lower seated seats)

• 2 weeks later...

In the gen1 pip i had the seat as low as possible but with the gen2 i have raised it slightly.  I am ok with the seats but am still reasonably agile.  YMMV.

Due to lockdown and other changes i have only done 2000 miles in the gen2 so far.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, johalareewi said:

In the gen1 pip i had the seat as low as possible but with the gen2 i have raised it slightly.  I am ok with the seats but am still reasonably agile.  YMMV.

Due to lockdown and other changes i have only done 2000 miles in the gen2 so far.

Thank You for shareing Your experiences.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:14 PM, Ten Ninety said:

The seats are really not great. I have to have the driver's seat far more vertical than I'd like, or else I get terrible pain right at the base of my spine after extended periods of use. They should be much softer, more adjustable and electric!

What colour have you gone for? Are you joining Geoff and the green gang?

Hi Jay, I agree with you and other folks that the seats are not the most comfortable (especially compared with the previous generation Lexus RX!) Do you think perhaps the ‘thinness’ of the seats is a inevitable consequence of Toyota’s obsession with maximising fuel economy by keeping weight down by whatever means necessary?

I’m prepared to go along with this uncompromising approach for now because I understand where they’re coming from and appreciate 80 mpg, even when the EV range is depleted. But I must say, I’m increasingly drawn to the idea of the greater comfort of something like the new RAV4, despite the inferior mpg (but maybe not the high cost 🥴). Having said that, I found the seats in the previous gen RAV4 Excel too constricting even though I’m slim.

Heigh-Ho, it’s all about compromise - sadly there’s no such thing as the perfect car ☹️

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HectorG said:

Hi Jay, I agree with you and other folks that the seats are not the most comfortable (especially compared with the previous generation Lexus RX!) Do you think perhaps the ‘thinness’ of the seats is a inevitable consequence of Toyota’s obsession with maximising fuel economy by keeping weight down by whatever means necessary?

No, I think it's Toyota Europe's strategy to maximise profit by giving us as little as they think they can get away with. The US Prius models are always better specified than what we get over here, including full electric adjustment for the seats and a completely different ICE setup with a big screen and mobile app linking. They probably even get the full un-crippled adaptive headlights, too!

Still, it's probably the right strategy, given that it didn't stop any of us on here from buying one.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

No, I think it's Toyota Europe's strategy to maximise profit by giving us as little as they think they can get away with.

Even the gen2 PIP tonneau cover is shorter than the gen1 PIP's.  Had some boxes in the boot yesterday which stood an inch above the level of the cover.

The gen2 cover hasn't got any extra length in it to go over the boxes and still lock in place.  The gen1 had a few inches extra length and covering up stuff that was a bit taller wasn't a problem. 

And even though the gen2 PIP is longer than the gen1 PIP, the boot is shorter. 

But yes, I still bought one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

They probably even get the full un-crippled adaptive headlights

Yes, they really are dreadful and worse than my previous gen RAV4. So much so I use them in non-adaptive ‘normal’ mode.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, johalareewi said:

Even the gen2 PIP tonneau cover is shorter than the gen1 PIP's.  Had some boxes in the boot yesterday which stood an inch above the level of the cover.

The gen2 cover hasn't got any extra length in it to go over the boxes and still lock in place.  The gen1 had a few inches extra length and covering up stuff that was a bit taller wasn't a problem. 

And even though the gen2 PIP is longer than the gen1 PIP, the boot is shorter. 

But yes, I still bought one.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:51 AM, Ten Ninety said:

No, I think it's Toyota Europe's strategy to maximise profit by giving us as little as they think they can get away with. The US Prius models are always better specified than what we get over here, including full electric adjustment for the seats and a completely different ICE setup with a big screen and mobile app linking. They probably even get the full un-crippled adaptive headlights, too!

Still, it's probably the right strategy, given that it didn't stop any of us on here from buying one.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:24 PM, HectorG said:

I’m prepared to go along with this uncompromising approach for now because I understand where they’re coming from and appreciate 80 mpg, even when the EV range is depleted. But I must say, I’m increasingly drawn to the idea of the greater comfort of something like the new RAV4, despite the inferior mpg (but maybe not the high cost 🥴). Having said that, I found the seats in the previous gen RAV4 Excel too constricting even though I’m slim.

Heigh-Ho, it’s all about compromise - sadly there’s no such thing as the perfect car ☹️

I think Prius gen 2 Plug In is the most efficent Plug In car in the world, but , as You say, not the most comfortable or well equiped car.

I've got a quite nice deal to swap my 2015 gen 1 Plug In for an 2018 gen 2 Plug In at my local Toyota dealer but...

I'm not totaly sure/conviced, but I can't se any other good Toyota alternative ( wan't to drive more on pure electric than our gen 1 can offer. Rav 4 PHEV are to expensive for us.)

In fact I tested a used Hyundai IONIQ 28 kWh (all)electric premium plus that comes at the same price as the used Prius Plug In gen 2 2018 at my local Toyota.

Thanks to electric adjustable driver seat with memory and quite soft seats the IONIQ felt a bit more comfortable and easier to enter/exit, than Prius gen 2 despite that the IONIQ are about the same hight as Prius. Better boot in IONIQ too.

Even tested KIA e-Niro and e-Soul models that would suite us well. ( but not so many used for sale yet )

But...  neither the IONIQ nor the KIAs are TOYOTAs.

On 9/20/2020 at 11:47 PM, johalareewi said:

Yes. The gen1 plugin seats were fine. The gen2 excel leather seats seem to have higher and harder side bits than the gen1 seats. Maybe some cushions are needed.

Hopefully I'm going to test both an 2020 Prius Plug In (five seater)with "leather" seats and an 2018 Prius Plug In with fabric seats to see if there's any big difference, this week/wednesday. 

Would like (to be able to) to "move on to gen2" (mostley cause of longer pure EV range) too

On 9/20/2020 at 11:47 PM, johalareewi said:

Yes. The gen1 plugin seats were fine. The gen2 excel leather seats seem to have higher and harder side bits than the gen1 seats. Maybe some cushions are needed.

Now I've tested 2017 with fabric covered seats and 2019 with leather covered seats and there should'nt be any other difference than the covering material,  acording to the salesman but I thought that the leather seats feelt a bit softer, but that would probably just be a feeling then.

Do You think the leather feels "cold" in the winter ?

Do You have the darker or lighter leather seats?

On 1/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, HSDish said:

Do You have the darker or lighter leather seats?

I have the darker leather seats. They can be a bit cool but they are heated (front seats only in my car) and warm up quickly.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, HSDish said:

As Alan says, it does warm up quickly with the seat heater. However, I do find it annoying that the pre-heat function doesn't operate the seat heater even if it is left switched on, so whilst the cabin is warmed the seat is still chilly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Me too.

Just traded in our Prius 2015 plug In gen 1 for an Prius 2018 plug in gen 2.

Mainly cause of the longer EV range in gen 2 but there seems to be several other "upgrades" too.

InkedPRIUS PHEV 1170x_LI.jpg

• Like 1