Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hesitant on acceleration

Barneyboy1

Hi we are new members on here I own a 2012 Yaris edition which I’ve had since new and has been a great car and one we will definitely keep,Tash has replaced her Skoda Citigo for a Oct 2019 Aygo X trend she bought this from W R Davies in Stafford in April with just 36 miles on the clock and I have to say they were faultless in our dealings with them👍 even down to delivering the car on a low loader during lockdown, we have just got back from a holiday in Snowdonia and whilst driving it which I did the whole time I noticed a definite holding back when trying to accelerate in 3rd and 4th gear I have never experienced this in the Yaris and something just doesn’t seem right, the car has now done about 800 miles and Tash is going to get it booked in for it’s first service and also ask them to look at this, thankfully it’s not intermittent and it appears to do it whether the engine is cold or warmed up, my question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what we’re your findings please, Many thanks Paul n Tash

Hi we are new members on here I own a 2012 Yaris edition which I’ve had since new and has been a great car and one we will definitely keep,Tash has replaced her Skoda Citigo for a Oct 2019 Aygo X trend she bought this from W R Davies in Stafford in April with just 36 miles on the clock and I have to say they were faultless in our dealings with them[emoji106] even down to delivering the car on a low loader during lockdown, we have just got back from a holiday in Snowdonia and whilst driving it which I did the whole time I noticed a definite holding back when trying to accelerate in 3rd and 4th gear I have never experienced this in the Yaris and something just doesn’t seem right, the car has now done about 800 miles and Tash is going to get it booked in for it’s first service and also ask them to look at this, thankfully it’s not intermittent and it appears to do it whether the engine is cold or warmed up, my question is has anyone else experienced this and if so what we’re your findings please, Many thanks Paul n Tash
What size engine is the yaris, the skoda

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Hi it’s a 3 cylinder 1.0 litre petrol engine which is also the same engine as my Yaris 👍 Paul n Tash

Yaris are usually 4 cylinder 1.3 engines, there's always a definiate lag that I've just got used to.

So, Paul (barneyboy1), up with the Yaris bonnet and check how many cylinders your Yaris has, 3 or 4. 😁

7 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, Paul (barneyboy1), up with the Yaris bonnet and check how many cylinders your Yaris has, 3 or 4. 😁A 2012 

A 2012 Yaris 1.0 has the same engine as the Aygo - 3 cylinder 1KR-FE engine.  A 2012 Yaris 1.33 is different - 4 cylinder 1NR-FE engine.

Hi thanks for that input frostyballs 👍 I should of mentioned I do all of my own maintenance on my cars and always have done once the warranty period is over, my daily drive is a 1963 series 2a Land Rover which I drive around 10k miles a year,I like to think I am a competent mechanic and with that in mind I can confirm my Yaris is a 3 cylinder 1.0 litre and not a 4 cylinder 1.3 😉 however the issue I have raised is not with the Yaris as this has been faultless since new 👍 cheers Paul n Tash

The 1KR-FE in the 2012 Yaris is tuned to a different emissions spec than the 1KR-FE in the 2019 Aygo which may go some way to explain the different driving characteristics.

IIRC the 2012 has 1 injector per cylinder and a simple intake manifold system, the 2020 Aygo I test drove a few weeks ago had 2 injectors per cylinder and a much more complex resonant tuned intake system - does Tash's 2019 Aygo have this?

• Like 1

Hi PetrolDave that’s very interesting as I had assumed they were identical given the engine model code, also the vehicle specs in both of the hand books are identical, however you are correct in that Tash’s Aygo does indeed have 2 injectors per cylinder 👍 the way it holds back just does not feel right at all we’ve had 2 yaris’s and this is our second Aygo and I’ve never experienced this before albeit fitted with the older 1 injector per cylinder version, and I’ve never had an issue with the engine feeling underpowered either, so is this characteristic of the latest version of this engine 🤔 if so I’m quite surprised, it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this 👍cheers Paul n Tash

The 1KR-FE engine has had two developments since 2012, partly to do with meeting emissions standards.

Your Yaris would be Euro 5.

The 1KR-FE engine had a substantial reworking in 2014 which coincided with the launch of the second generation Aygo - this version met Euro 6:  https://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-aygo-engine-technology-revealed

For the Aygo's 2018 facelift, the engine received further mods - this version met Euro 6.2:

"Changes include a new dual fuel injector system, a higher compression ratio, new low friction components, a cooled exhaust gas recirculation system and an improved balancer shaft for less vibration at idling speed. Output is slightly higher (+2bhp), now offering 71bhp at 6,000rpm, with 93Nm of torque at 4,400rpm, and a commensurate reduction in CO2 emissions."

The Aygo has always had a ludicrously tall geared 3rd, 4th and fifth, plus, the engine only wakes up after 3500 revs. This means you gotta boot it to high revs in second, when changing to third, just to keep it in the sweet spot on the revs. Luckily they have a nice engine note 😀

The Aygo has always had a ludicrously tall geared 3rd, 4th and fifth, plus, the engine only wakes up after 3500 revs. This means you gotta boot it to high revs in second, when changing to third, just to keep it in the sweet spot on the revs. Luckily they have a nice engine note [emoji3]
Even better with a better intake and exhaust makes that 3 cylinder sound good

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Barneyboy1 said:

it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this 👍

I did notice the 2020 Aygo I test drove was more hesitant than my previous (current until Toyota build my Aygo) C1 which is/was a 2008 model.

I put this down to the Aygo only having 60 miles on the clock and still being new & stiff, but maybe it is characteristic of the new Euro 6.2 emissions engine mods?

Hi PetrolDave 👍that is interesting that you have experienced a similar hesitation, I think you could be right as our last Aygo was bought new in 2006, maybe it is a combination of the euro 6 emission mods also the relatively low mileage perhaps it will loosen up a bit, Tash said she hasn’t experienced the holding back but in fairness she has only been driving locally on country lanes/roads due to it being delivered at the beginning of lock down and it didn’t get used then until August, it will be due it’s 1st service next month so I’ll mention it when booking it in, However it does appear that we are the only ones who have experienced this which does make me wonder if it is part and parcel of the emissions 🤔 it would be great to hear if anyone else has experienced it 👍cheers Paul n Tash

I have a 20 plate aygo and in 3rd through 5th below 3000rpm it does feel a bit sluggish especially going uphill. I’ve done 5000 miles in it now and you soon learn to adjust your driving style to suit.

To get the best out of our Excite you need to Rev it through the Gears to overcome what I would describe as a Tight New Engine.

Initially,I needed  too many Revs to move from standstill but this has got much better but the Tightness solution needs practice.

Imperfect but not difficult to resolve.

On a fast flowing 20 mile run I was most impressed with the Aygo's ability in Lanes 2 & 3 where I clearly used Revs in 4th. & 5th. gears to flow between 60 & 75 mph.

Tel

Hi thank you for your responses they have certainly given me peace of mind 👍 hopefully over time and use it will loosen up a bit👍 Many thanks Paul n Tash

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links