Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla owner - things to be grateful for

AndrueC

..that our dashboard isn't as ugly as the C-HR. I could tolerate old-school analogue speedometers I think but replacing the tachometer with an analogue eco gauge? Good grief is that thing ugly.

toyota-c-hr-instrument-cluster.jpg

I had a test drive today and the above is about as good as it gets. Displaying the speed in both digital and analogue. Also the car hardly ever displayed the current speed limit (it did once or twice). What are Toyota thinking?

By the dash setup, the C-HR is a pre 2019 facelift model, with the earlier touch 2 setup which does not integrate with RSA and has an older version of TSS all of which is a Generation before those fitted to Corolla/Post Facelift C-HR so denfinitely a step back to those you are used to.

8 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

By the dash setup, the C-HR is a pre 2019 facelift model, with the earlier touch 2 setup which does not integrate with RSA and has an older version of TSS all of which is a Generation before those fitted to Corolla/Post Facelift C-HR so denfinitely a step back to those you are used to.

That image was one I found with Google search but it matches the 70 plate C-HR demonstrator that I drove. The sat nav was integrated, as it was showing turns on the small LCD screen in front of me. The speed limit only seemed to appear when it changed and not always at that perhaps it was relying solely on the camera for some reason? I made it clear to the salesman that the dash was the main reason I wasn't interested. He didn't suggest there was a newer dash on the way but perhaps he knew it was many months away and was just that desperate to shift stock.

Good grief.  I would like a Digital Speed display on the Corolla but if there isn't one I have yet to find it.

11 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Good grief.  I would like a Digital Speed display on the Corolla but if there isn't one I have yet to find it.

It's just a mode on the LCD display. I switched mine to digital the day I picked my car up.

I'm not sure what model this is from because of the bezel but the LCD bit is almost the same:

2020-toyota-corolla-xse-review.jpg

Snap. It's in 'Meter' settings on LCD display. First thing I did as well as well as switching off lane tracing..

• Like 1

The CH-R instrument cluster looks classic and better than Corolla imo, I think it’s down to personal preferences, the eco think that replaces the RPM part is much better and more useful than Corolla RPM meter that doesn’t make any sense in hybrid cars., old school car like Camry and Auris and outlander it’s verY useful and helps a lot driver to understand what is going on under the bonnet, how acceleration is happening, what mode you are driving , and when regenerate and how much, I am constantly monitoring this when driving my car. If I buy the Corolla first thing that I will look in the settings is to make it looks like Chr / Auris dash. 👍

• Like 1

Heh, each to their own. But the Corolla has both a tachometer and an eco meter. As it ships all you need to do to make the Corolla display the eco gauge is to press the left up or down arrows. That will display the eco gauge right in the centre of an analogue speedometer where you can read both simultaneously 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On style I was very much old school, white detail on black background.  My last car, a Mercedes came with black detail on white.  I soon got used to it.  The Corolla is a generation or three newer and has what is effectively a glass display.  I soon got used to the multi colour display. 

My preference for a digital speed was based on using a windscreen mounted Garmin Satnav.  It was more head up and near my sight line.  The Toyota does not favour such positioning and I am getting more used to the head down analogue display.  It does irk me though that the accuracy is poor (within legal limits).  I have a digital GPS speed display unit and must try and get it up into my sight line.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, AndrueC said:

Heh, each to their own. But the Corolla has both a tachometer and an eco meter. As it ships all you need to do to make the Corolla display the eco gauge is to press the left up or down arrows. That will display the eco gauge right in the centre of an analogue speedometer where you can read both simultaneously 😉

I know that but it’s not the same as is on the Auris and ch-r, Corolla and Prius’s that digital info is too small and not as easy to read and understand while driving, I have experience in both types on many different Toyota hybrids and I can said that ch-r type works better for me, more natural, but as you said each to their own, . I personally don’t see the reason except aesthetics to know what rpm is ice at any one time as you going to push it anyway if you need more acceleration, but if you clearly know at what mode or how efficient you are driving at any one moment you can improve efficiency and smoothness of your driving for example. Rpm instruments must have in manual car but auto or hybrid not necessarily.👍

If they would think for more than one second they would make rev meter digital and gave user an option to choose between eco or rev display. The way that eco meter is now displayed in corolla it is useless, because it`s too small. Al the information is squeezed on 4 cm width with 10 cm black space on each side...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigPoppaSLO said:

If they would think for more than one second they would make rev meter digital and gave user an option to choose between eco or rev display. The way that eco meter is now displayed in corolla it is useless, because it`s too small. Al the information is squeezed on 4 cm width with 10 cm black space on each side...

I have seen pictures of these new Corolla with eco counter instead of tach rpms ,  perhaps is for the Asian market. I also did asked U.K. owners if there is an option to change that as it’s all digital but seems like only available is the clock with rpm’s . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigPoppaSLO said:

I don't have any problem reading it. Perhaps a trip to the opticians would be a good idea :) ? Okay so that's kind of a joke but also pretty serious since you're admitting to not being able to read your dashboard.

Personally though I think they should make the whole dashboard an LCD screen and then give some more customisation options. If they did that one of the options could be a large eco gauge and I'd happily swap the tacho for a larger eco gauge. that would allow it to display miles left in tank when showing the eco gauge which it currently can't.

But as it stands I just don't like old fashioned analogue dials and the eco gauge in the C-HR just seemed to flap about too much. It was distracting. It also reminded me of those gauges you got on some European marques in the 80s that showed manifold pressure. All in all it just looked about ten years behind the times whereas the Corolla looks pretty much bang up to date.

The Yaris the dealer lent me while the car was serviced, had an analogue power meter as well, instead of a tachometer. Because it is analogue it is right there all the time, whereas in the Corolla ,  I don't use the hybrid meter at all, I only display the mph. I found the Yaris power meter easier to understand, and it made me aware of how little the car proceeded in EV mode only, compared to the Corolla. You only had to twitch the accelerator and the ICE fired up again.

35 minutes ago, Timmon said:

The Yaris the dealer lent me while the car was serviced, had an analogue power meter as well, instead of a tachometer. Because it is analogue it is right there all the time, whereas in the Corolla ,  I don't use the hybrid meter at all, I only display the mph. I found the Yaris power meter easier to understand, and it made me aware of how little the car proceeded in EV mode only, compared to the Corolla. You only had to twitch the accelerator and the ICE fired up again.

The trick is to learn how to keep the gauge within the appropriate ranges. To stay in EV you've got to keep it in one of the first two areas. As soon as the indicator enters the third area the ICE will come on. And you should always keep it out of the fourth area (marked PWR on the digital gauge) because that means the Battery is being used to boost the power which is a very inefficient thing to do.

When I first got the Corolla I kept the economy gauge on screen but the eco gauge is far more useful for good economy. I've never had a problem reading it as it's right in the middle of the dash, underneath the speed.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links