Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MPG static...ish.

MikeEH

Bought my 2010 T27 Avensis (petrol) last December and although haven't travelled much due to Covid, I did make a 35 mile motorway trip the other day. As a comparison, my previous car was a 2006 T25 (petrol) and driving locally I would get 32-37 mpg and on motorways, 40-49 mpg. However, with my T27, I'm getting (on the display) 31.8 mpg locally and on my motorway trip it did increase to 31.9 mpg. Those seem to be the magic numbers at the moment. Also I'm finding that at low revs the car performs worse than my wife's 1200cc Micra, especially on hills, but at high revs, it zooms along. This performance is nowhere near as good as my old T25 which performed equally as well at low and high revs. Does the engine need re-mapping or is the low rev performance correct for the T27, and maybe the display (or it's circuitry) is not working properly?

When was the MPG display last reset? If it hasn't been zero'd for a long time it may be showing an average accumulated over a few thousand miles. Also have you tried calculating the MPG manually? I find the MPG display in our (diesel) Avensis quite pessimistic compared to the actual calculated fuel consumption.

I didn't know there was a reset for the mpg display. I didn't need it do it on my T25. Could you tell me how to re-set it please.

I haven't calculated the mpg manually as I'm now doing so little mileage so infrequently because of covid but will try now.

Thanks.

T25 I believe was better built car and engine than what was in t27 body on t27 would be bit heavy think that might have something do with mpg

You do need to reset the average mpg display.

The T27 1.8 uses a different engine to the T25 1.8 - it has less low speed torque. Its also a heavier car, of course.

To reset the display you use the button on the right hand side of the instrument cluster, I think it's marked 'DISP'. With the screen displaying MPG, press and hold the button and the display should then show 0.0 MPG which means it's been reset.

As above though really, the T27 is a larger heavier car than the T25, so even with the later engine you may find that the fuel consumption is not as good as the earlier model.

Thanks for reply. I'll reset tonight.

You're right about the weight of the car...the doors feel heavier than my wife's Micra....with an empty boot, of course. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Reset the MPG display...wish I hadn't now.....I'm only averaging 30.1 MPG whereas I was getting (allegedly) 31.8 MPG before.....that'll learn me!!! 😀😀

On 9/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, MikeEH said:

Bought my 2010 T27 Avensis (petrol) last December and although haven't travelled much due to Covid, I did make a 35 mile motorway trip the other day. As a comparison, my previous car was a 2006 T25 (petrol) and driving locally I would get 32-37 mpg and on motorways, 40-49 mpg. However, with my T27, I'm getting (on the display) 31.8 mpg locally and on my motorway trip it did increase to 31.9 mpg. Those seem to be the magic numbers at the moment. Also I'm finding that at low revs the car performs worse than my wife's 1200cc Micra, especially on hills, but at high revs, it zooms along. This performance is nowhere near as good as my old T25 which performed equally as well at low and high revs. Does the engine need re-mapping or is the low rev performance correct for the T27, and maybe the display (or it's circuitry) is not working properly?

Maybe you need to hold in the lower gear longer so the engine revs higher and gives more zip, try it.

As said above, maybe your driving style is the cause.

My Auris gets least consumption when the RPM's are at around 3k.

I'm driving the car exactly how I used to with my old T25. (32 - 37mpg locally and 40 - 49mpg on motorways). Since Covid I'm only travelling thru built up areas to Sainsburys and Lidl, but went on a 32 mile total (there and back) motorway trip recently to a B & Q. I've reset the mpg display twice. My mpg locally is dead on 30.1, but after the 32 mile motorway trip (averaging 65 - 70 mph) it increased massively to 30.2mpg. I don't understand how the mpg on this car doesn't really improve when motorway driving. The Toyota specs reckon I should be getting 42 - 43mpg. Anyone know of tips/mods that I can try to improve economy, otherwise it might have to go......It's got new plugs and air filter (December 2019), and oil change at the same time. Tyre pressures are always kept spot on, and I'm not carrying 6 bags of sand in the boot.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links