Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Air Mass Flow cleaning


chana100red
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All

My car has struggled to accelerate normally uphill as when I put the power down nothing happens or sometimes struggles to gain any speed.  Certainly unusual for a 1.8 auto to struggle uphill.  On the flat surface the car rockets like a missile.

Had service and the necessary changes during service but nothing out of the ordinary.

I was thinking about Air Mass Flow cleaning but was not sure if this applied to my car.

Any thoughts or experience on this type of issue.

 

Cheers guys

 

Dipak

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I cleaned my sensor a few years back, and overall the car has been well behaved. I use CRC Mass Airflow Cleaner spray. 

Even though your engine is a previous design, it uses a MAF sensor too. You can try cleaning the sensor with the same product. I have read/seen somewhere, not to use carb cleaner as it might be too aggressive and possibly damage the MAF sensor! I bought the CSC cleaner spray via eBay.

AVENSIS |  AIR CLEANER

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Konrad - great illustration of the diagram.  Much needed help to identify the mass flow sensor.   I will give it a clean with special cleaner and see what happens.  If that fails then I am due to sell this car next year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chana100red said:

Thanks Konrad - great illustration of the diagram.  Much needed help to identify the mass flow sensor.   I will give it a clean with special cleaner and see what happens.  If that fails then I am due to sell this car next year.

 

No problem Dipak. I think there may be other issues, other than the MAF sensor. This will need diagnostics live data to see what's happening. Hope you get the car sorted. 👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hey Konrad

It turned out to be the coil - No.3 was misfiring.  I had a similar issue 18 months ago where coil no.2 was misfiring.  It would make ideal sense to change all 4 al at the same time.  i guess I am just repairing it as I go along...

So far the car is running so much better and checking oil levels too. 

I will most definitely look at cleaning out the mas flow sensor at some stage.

 

cheers

Dipak

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2020 at 9:20 PM, chana100red said:

Hey Konrad

It turned out to be the coil - No.3 was misfiring.  I had a similar issue 18 months ago where coil no.2 was misfiring.  It would make ideal sense to change all 4 al at the same time.  i guess I am just repairing it as I go along...

So far the car is running so much better and checking oil levels too. 

I will most definitely look at cleaning out the mas flow sensor at some stage.

 

cheers

Dipak

Glad you found the problem. I did say there may be another problem other than the MAF sensor. Recently I fixed a friend's Ford Ka that had a faulty coil pack. She was advised by a mechanic to replace the coil and plugs, which I did for her. It didn't fix the misfire, and I did a diagnostic check which confirmed the cylinder that was misfiring. After replacing the coil, engine is now fine. This coil pack works all four cylinders and cheaper than the individual coil packs on the Avensis. 

Anyway well done 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Hi Konrad

Hope all is well and keeping safe...

My Avensis is behaving mysteriously strange with oil levels depleting after long runs.  There is no definitive period when the oil levels become low and I noticed this when the oil light appeared.  I keep a 15w, 40 oil in the boot as I keep it topped up to the max line.  I looked around the engine bay and no oil leaks or drips on the floor.  No signs of leaks on the road when the vehicle is parked for a 3-4 days.  Very odd.  Have you come across anything strange like this before?

 

I got some clunking noises coming from the wheels suspension arms or some sort so will get this looked at before it gets any worse.  The car is consuming rather more fuel than it used so is a complete mystery to me.  

It is completed 93,876 miles and has regular service yearly. 

Any thoughts on the above most welcomed.

 

cheers

Dipak

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, chana100red said:

Hi Konrad

Hope all is well and keeping safe...

My Avensis is behaving mysteriously strange with oil levels depleting after long runs.  There is no definitive period when the oil levels become low and I noticed this when the oil light appeared.  I keep a 15w, 40 oil in the boot as I keep it topped up to the max line.  I looked around the engine bay and no oil leaks or drips on the floor.  No signs of leaks on the road when the vehicle is parked for a 3-4 days.  Very odd.  Have you come across anything strange like this before?

 

I got some clunking noises coming from the wheels suspension arms or some sort so will get this looked at before it gets any worse.  The car is consuming rather more fuel than it used so is a complete mystery to me.  

It is completed 93,876 miles and has regular service yearly. 

Any thoughts on the above most welcomed.

 

cheers

Dipak

Hi again Dipak.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have the early 1ZZ 1.8 engine, known for high oil consumption. from 1999 - 2005 the early version of the 1ZZ engine, had a minor design issue that could cause high oil consumption. This has been covered in this forum by members who have experienced the problem. It was rectified by mid 2005 for the Avensis. Not every engine had high consumption, some have been fine, some had problems at low mileages, and others like yours have done a lot more before the problem occurs. There are other things to look at, like the breather system.
If confirmed as burning oil, the options are replacing the engine - too expensive unless you get a cheap/free donor engine and doing it cheaply. The second hand engine needs to come from a 2006 - 2008 late model, and of low/mid mileage! Rebuilding is not worth it, unless you have the skills and like a project.  
How long have you owned the car? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership