Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 RAV4 Infotainment system not always starting

TabbyBoy

I'd like to reach out to any Toyota technicians who have seen this fault before (photo below). The problem is that Starting... appears on the screen and then it just hangs there, but then starts normally again if I stop, and turn off/on the car again. It was happening approximately every month since I took delivery on 10SEP19, but it now it's every week since it's first service and software update. I used to work in IT and the majority of bugs of this nature were more hardware/voltage related. Apart from this, everything else runs normally. I've also taken a 60sec video to prove to the dealer that the screen doesn't change.

Any ideas please? I just want to give the dealership as much information as possible about this problem, when they try to attempt a fix for the third time!

IMG_20200921_134032.thumb.jpg.418cc726fac4b4acbb205286464dc512.jpg

I still love the car and would like this minor niggle sorted. Yes, I know they want to try everything possible to avoid replacing the whole system, but I'm a paying customer at the end of the day. If it's something like a regular over-the-air update, I'd like it to tell me. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'm surprised there's been no reply from the "experts". I'm asking again as this was OK for 3 months after a software update, but has starting doing it again ,now weekly, and the 12v Battery needs a jump start about 2-3 days after. At least I can now use it as a warning to make sure that my jump-pack is charged! Before you ask..... Yes, I do drive it for at least an hour several times a week and even leave it on "Ready" for an hour every 2 weeks as suggested by my local dealer. It now seems to me like it's a Battery drain issue more than an infotainment problem.

I've looked on several Toyota forums and Battery drain appears to be a VERY common problem, but no recall or fix from Toyota yet. I've heard that battery replacements and software updates have cured some instances, but mine still isn't resolved. I do hide the keyfob in a Faraday Pouch, disconnect the Dashcam and disable the parking brake, they make no difference. I'm on first name terms with AA and Green Flag technicians, which is quite embarrassing. My neighbour was going to order one of these as his next company car, but has now cancelled the order and test driving others, starting with the new Hyundai Tucson Hybrid instead.

I bought this on PCP with the final balloon payment due on 01SEP this year, but I've lost faith in this car and, as it stands, I will be handing it back as enough is enough! I now wish that I'd rejected it within the first few months, but it's too late now.

If any of you have an idea of what could be wrong, please let me know and supply evidence that I can show my dealer and Toyota Customer Support. I really don't want my first Toyota to be my last, but it's looking that way.

If any of you are looking at a used low-mileage 2019 Excel AWD in Obsidian Blue this Autumn, let me know and I'll give you my registration number so that you can avoid it!

Mine wasn't very happy for a time when I had a dodgy usb stick left in the socket (just music files) I suppose the system registers the device during start up then indexes it like any computer, seemed to hang for a long time. The dodgy stick didn't like being connected to anything very much. Replacing the stick solved it. Just thought I would mention it.

Edit - reading again and your Battery issues really are unacceptable!! whether they are related to the screen issue or not. I would be setting a bonfire under the backsides of my lease company!

Info system not shutting down properly after it hangs hence Battery drain...?

You can force a reboot which may help and Im guessing you have tried this already?

How to reboot infotainment system without stopping car (2020 edition)

In a recent post here, there's discussion of Apple Carplay failing, with the screen going black and the audio silent. Once that happens, it seems the only way to fix it is to reboot the infotainment system, and for many of us, the only way we knew to do that was to stop and power off the whole car for a bit. This isn't helpful on a highway, though. I commented that I wished there were a way to reboot the infotainment system without stopping the car. Well, after some Googling, and experimentation, I'm happy to report success!

Press and hold the power button on the infotainment system (NOT the main car pwr button) for about 5 seconds. (The screen will then display "Starting..." and the infotainment system will reboot.)

I tested this in my driveway, and it worked. Later this afternoon, I was using Carplay while on the road, and got the dreaded silent black screen. I held down the power button on the infotainment (again, not the main car power button), and it rebooted, and resumed Apple Carplay.

This worked for me on my 2020 Limited Hybrid. Use at your own risk.

Mine did this and I pressed the power button and it restarted, hasn't done it since the update, but then I've only driven 170 miles since.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:32 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'm surprised there's been no reply from the "experts". I'm asking again as this was OK for 3 months after a software update, but has starting doing it again ,now weekly, and the 12v battery needs a jump start about 2-3 days after. At least I can now use it as a warning to make sure that my jump-pack is charged! Before you ask..... Yes, I do drive it for at least an hour several times a week and even leave it on "Ready" for an hour every 2 weeks as suggested by my local dealer. It now seems to me like it's a battery drain issue more than an infotainment problem.

I've looked on several Toyota forums and battery drain appears to be a VERY common problem, but no recall or fix from Toyota yet. I've heard that battery replacements and software updates have cured some instances, but mine still isn't resolved. I do hide the keyfob in a Faraday Pouch, disconnect the dashcam and disable the parking brake, they make no difference. I'm on first name terms with AA and Green Flag technicians, which is quite embarrassing. My neighbour was going to order one of these as his next company car, but has now cancelled the order and test driving others, starting with the new Hyundai Tucson Hybrid instead.

I bought this on PCP with the final balloon payment due on 01SEP this year, but I've lost faith in this car and, as it stands, I will be handing it back as enough is enough! I now wish that I'd rejected it within the first few months, but it's too late now.

If any of you have an idea of what could be wrong, please let me know and supply evidence that I can show my dealer and Toyota Customer Support. I really don't want my first Toyota to be my last, but it's looking that way.

If any of you are looking at a used low-mileage 2019 Excel AWD in Obsidian Blue this Autumn, let me know and I'll give you my registration number so that you can avoid it!

Can you post a picture of the installed software versions?

Press setup button, the on RH menu scroll down to software update 

On 1/26/2021 at 2:32 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'm surprised there's been no reply from the "experts". I'm asking again as this was OK for 3 months after a software update, but has starting doing it again ,now weekly, and the 12v battery needs a jump start about 2-3 days after. At least I can now use it as a warning to make sure that my jump-pack is charged! Before you ask..... Yes, I do drive it for at least an hour several times a week and even leave it on "Ready" for an hour every 2 weeks as suggested by my local dealer. It now seems to me like it's a battery drain issue more than an infotainment problem.

I've looked on several Toyota forums and battery drain appears to be a VERY common problem, but no recall or fix from Toyota yet. I've heard that battery replacements and software updates have cured some instances, but mine still isn't resolved. I do hide the keyfob in a Faraday Pouch, disconnect the dashcam and disable the parking brake, they make no difference. I'm on first name terms with AA and Green Flag technicians, which is quite embarrassing. My neighbour was going to order one of these as his next company car, but has now cancelled the order and test driving others, starting with the new Hyundai Tucson Hybrid instead.

What do you mean by leave the car on Ready for an hour ?

21 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

What do you mean by leave the car on Ready for an hour ?

Toyota's recommendation for maintaining 12v batteries during lockdown and also applies for durations of little use:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links