Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Multimedia system

Rosgoe

Hi all got my new car 1.8 corolla excel on the 21st dealer put the vehicle onto my Toyota. However try as I might I cannot register the multimedia system got the device iD and tried activating it on line to get the various apps to work however every time I enter the device ID it says incorrect please try again and I know I am entering the correct details ie lower case and upper case letters and numbers.

also I cannot enter the version number from the V5 it also says incorrect please try later or contact dealer. And I think this is the reason I cannot connect to Toyota on line from the car keep getting message could not connect tried wi fi and bluetooth tethering the email and password is correct. I am tearing my hair out what’s left of It 😁 Any ideas

Brand-new car ? Give it a week or so and to let the website update

make sure you are typing the vin correctly and not using an o rather than a Zero

• Like 1

It took nearly a month for mine to be sorted. Even now i get the cannot connect to server message a few times a week. Also the connection to my phone drops out sometimes then reconnects almost immediately.

The car still drives, so you just get used to the infotainment system idiosyncrasies 

Yes I think you are right Jiff have managed to enter the version number from the v5 but it is not highlighted in red as per the My T instructions you have to enter the first part of the version number. Now have to wait to connect car To My T after driving faster than 7mph according to instructions.

I think I will probably use android auto more as waze  navigation is brilliant I am not to bothered about the Toyota apps as you say they are full of annoying faults as is the multi media system

I had great trouble with the MyT app too, but having spent ages tearing out what's left of my hair, I finally managed, thanks to a guy on the Rav4 Club forum, who pointed out that not only do you need to have bluetooth paired with your phone, but you also turn on bluetooth tethering too in your phone's settings.

Once I'd done that, Bingo!  Everything now works, including my driving history, and all the recommendations as to how to improve!  I see also that a map update is available, which is slightly surprising on a brand new car, but hey ho, that's a job for next week.

1 hour ago, DaveST said:

I see also that a map update is available, which is slightly surprising on a brand new car, but hey ho, that's a job for next week.

They come along every six months. The process for obtaining the update from the Toyota shop is convoluted and annoying. Installation can take up to an hour during which the hybrid system has to be on.

Instructions here:

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the reply!  It does look a bit convoluted, according to other posts, but the link is very helpful.  It'll have to wait a few days,  What a helpful group of people on this group, though!  It's brilliant.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:23 PM, DaveST said:

Thanks very much for the reply!  It does look a bit convoluted, according to other posts, but the link is very helpful.  It'll have to wait a few days,  What a helpful group of people on this group, though!  It's brilliant.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:27 PM, AndrueC said:

They come along every six months. The process for obtaining the update from the Toyota shop is convoluted and annoying. Installation can take up to an hour during which the hybrid system has to be on.

Instructions here:

The fact you were notified of a Map update means you have a MM19 equipped car which can detect and download map updates OTA ( over the air ) meaning if you agree to start the download it will start, stop & resume as you use the car until it is all downloaded then offer to install again the installation can start, stop & resume as you use the car there is no need to sit and wait as it downloads and installs it can all happen in the background as and when you use the car.

• Like 2

Aha! That is very good to know. Thanks for the advice!  I wish the MyT Android app was as reliable as you folk on the Corolla Forum (and the Corolla,naturally). The app has very poor ratings on Play Store, and I can't say I'm surprised.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 5:14 PM, DaveST said:

Aha! That is very good to know. Thanks for the advice!  I wish the MyT Android app was as reliable as you folk on the Corolla Forum (and the Corolla,naturally). The app has very poor ratings on Play Store, and I can't say I'm surprised.

I can only imagine that Play store people must have had other cars with apps so much better than My T. Personally, I am wowed that I can locate my car when visiting a strange town, and see my journey etc. If it does not work on occasion, there are so many dependent systems to provide the data, I am not surprised it hick up's on occasion.  My T provides data I never thought I needed before, which probably means, I don't need it. So it is a nice to have, and fascinating to see, a talking point with friends, but not life threatening if it doesn't work every time.

• Like 2

You're right. Interesting when it actually works; my car location was listed as being 100 miles away, as it didn't update for a couple of days.  And the hybrid driving hints - well, that's another story!  Just as well I don't take them too seriously! "You were accelerating too hard"... Yes, overtaking a slow moving truck on a long uphill straight stretch of road!  How did I ever manage without this advice?  As you say,a talking point with friends...Well put.  But the reported time spent in EV mode is quite surprising, and the fuel economy so far is excellent.

Mostly I get green 'well done's but it objects to the way I accelerate away from roundabouts.

I've popped a 3G modem in mine, and now the car connects via wifi that way.

Oddly,  even though the modem is 3G and my phone is 4G, it has solved the update delays and connection issues.

I can only presume the data push through bluetooth is conservative,  or run as a batch, who knows.

Anyway,  I've gone from next day updates to half hour updates it seems.

Obviously may just be  fluke,  as its only observed,  and not rigorously tested 😉

On 10/3/2020 at 7:03 PM, DaveST said:

You're right. Interesting when it actually works; my car location was listed as being 100 miles away, as it didn't update for a couple of days.  And the hybrid driving hints - well, that's another story!  Just as well I don't take them too seriously! "You were accelerating too hard"... Yes, overtaking a slow moving truck on a long uphill straight stretch of road!  How did I ever manage without this advice?  As you say,a talking point with friends...Well put.  But the reported time spent in EV mode is quite surprising, and the fuel economy so far is excellent.

Apologies for breaking in, but we took delivery of my wife's Corolla in June and I thought the 'MyT' app didn't have much to offer, so now seeing your reporting on hybrid driving hints etc tells me I haven't linked it correctly to the car.  I seem to remember following that instruction about driving faster than 7mph, but wasn't convinced at the time that it had connected properly!  The app does show our correct vehicle details, paint colour, VIN etc, but nothing by way of reports on driving habits, tips etc.  I'm also totally confused about what I should see when clicking on the 'eStore' app....'cos at the moment nothing happens.

Any advice much appreciated....not that we particularly want those features, as we have 'Android Auto'.....more a case of overcoming my frustration (and dented pride) at not being able to get certain features operational, due most likely in no small way to 'finger trouble' and ignorance on my part 😉.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Viffergb said:

Any advice much appreciated....not that we particularly want those features, as we have 'Android Auto'.....more a case of overcoming my frustration (and dented pride) at not being able to get certain features operational, due most likely in no small way to 'finger trouble' and ignorance on my part 😉.

Thanks

You might have to talk to your dealer. Mine had to perform an extra step before it would work properly. I think they have to register your car with Toyota as well as you or some such tomfoolery.

2 hours ago, Viffergb said:

Apologies for breaking in, but we took delivery of my wife's Corolla in June and I thought the 'MyT' app didn't have much to offer, so now seeing your reporting on hybrid driving hints etc tells me I haven't linked it correctly to the car.  I seem to remember following that instruction about driving faster than 7mph, but wasn't convinced at the time that it had connected properly!  The app does show our correct vehicle details, paint colour, VIN etc, but nothing by way of reports on driving habits, tips etc.  I'm also totally confused about what I should see when clicking on the 'eStore' app....'cos at the moment nothing happens.

Thanks

In the MYT app :

Select the top right Cog

Select settings from lower menu

Select General from top tabs and ensure you have agreed all the T&C's

Select car from top tabs

Does it say Activate or disconnect connected services, if it says Activate select it and follow the instructions

Does it show a device id, if it says register a device select it and follow the instructions

Just to add, there aren't any apps beside the store, and a map update if available. 

The suite isn't licensed for the latest Corolla yet.

So don't get you're hopes up. 😉

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

In the MYT app :

Select the top right Cog

Select car from top tabs

Does it say Activate or disconnect connected services, if it says Activate select it and follow the instructions

Does it show a device id, if it says register a device select it and follow the instructions

Many thanks, and as I suspected....I need to try activating again, as I obviously didn't succeed first time around.

15 hours ago, AndrueC said:

You might have to talk to your dealer. Mine had to perform an extra step before it would work properly. I think they have to register your car with Toyota as well as you or some such tomfoolery.

Looks like I need to try the activation step in 'MyT' again, as it obviously didn't complete on my first attempt. Thanks for the tip about a possible visit to the dealer may also be required.

13 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Just to add, there aren't any apps beside the store, and a map update if available. 

The suite isn't licensed for the latest Corolla yet.

So don't get you're hopes up. 😉

Gotchya 👍😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viffergb said:

Looks like I need to try the activation step in 'MyT' again, as it obviously didn't complete on my first attempt. Thanks for the tip about a possible visit to the dealer may also be required.

No visit, they were able to sort it out by telephone.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if it's possible to register the multimedia system without navigation?

8 hours ago, howkey-cz said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to register the multimedia system without navigation?

No it is not possible to register a unit without navigation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, Devon Aygo said:

In the MYT app :

Select the top right Cog

Select car from top tabs

On 10/7/2020 at 9:03 AM, Viffergb said:

Many thanks, and as I suspected....I need to try activating again, as I obviously didn't succeed first time around.

Managed to succeed in activating it today, but not impressed with the distinct lack of confirmation responses to the various steps in the whole process.  Quite ambiguous TBH!  It needs improving 🤨

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I have found one interesting thing. If you want to connect your car with MyT app, you can visit any local dealer and they can do it for you (for free). You just need to have the car added in the MyT app and prove that you are the owner. After that, they will be able to activate the Toyota Connected for you. And the best thing is, it can be activated for all models with the SOS button 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links