Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1NZ-FE engine

kudakwashe

guys how can i tell if the pistons are gone or valve stem seals are gone if the above engine is consuming engine oil. all mechanics i ask always say bring lets do the engine. think i am about to be robbed because engine power is still great. only problem i see is engine oil consumption. is there a simple test or check i can do on my own to verify . please help guys.

where can i download a workshop manual for 1NZ-FE  1.499 Engine - its for a 2000 toyota allex

Edited by kudakwashe
adding

How much oil does it consume?

I would check the inside of the cylinders with endoscope camera, for scoring.

Are you sure it not gunked up piston rings, not wiping the oil correctly on downwards stroke and causing the consumption?

about 2ltrs for 560kms. how can i check the piston rings without opening the engine

With an endoscope/bore camera. They are pretty cheap on eBay and such.

You remove the spark plugs and insert it through there. They also have a tiny light.

Or maybe you can just straight out try some product intended for this, you remove the spark plugs, spray it through there, soak overnight, tomorrow crank a bit, to get the fluid out, put spark plugs back and go for a ride.

You can check youtube, there's plenty of videos.

Or maybe you can just straight out try some product intended for this, you remove the spark plugs, spray it through there, soak overnight, tomorrow crank a bit, to get the fluid out, put spark plugs back and go for a ride.

Hie mate you not being clear here what i should expect  or how to doit

Toyota had a history of oil burning engines because of gunked up pistons.

This could also be issue with your car, and it's cheapest thing to try.

What i wrote there is the procedure how to do it. If you check on youtube, you will find plenty of videos on that topic.

How many miles have you got on this engine??? I have already got 3 Yaris with this engine and I can guarantee you they are really solid!!! Pipes and water pipe in stainless steel!! You don´t see any more good quality like this old engines.

Hi have got 1NF engine with 186000 miles on the dashboard and start to burn oil after 5000 miles was starting to burn 1 litter oil no big deal e break this car for parts because I bought Yaris Verso D4D wen I disassemble the engine was perfect just the piston ring was worn out.

I have one 1NF 1.3 VVT-I for sale with 120000 miles. 

Good luck you just need to replace piston rings and voila...

23 hours ago, kudakwashe said:

guys how can i tell if the valve stem seals are gone if the above engine is consuming engine oil.

Find a long stretch of downhill road that you can run down say in 4th without using the gas pedal, then when you come to the bottom and go flat ,  accellerate  and get someone to watch if a cloud of white smoke comes out of the exhaust, thats usually the excess oil from the valve seals being burnt off, only last a few seconds.

Think Toyota quote 1 ltr to 1000 miles is still acceptable, before they used to look at any engine problem on newer cars.

If it was the piston rings thats a full engine strip down, a rebore or new liners may be needed as well, major job and expense, just depends on how long you want to keep the car running?

• 8 months later...
On 9/27/2020 at 7:31 AM, furtula said:

Toyota had a history of oil burning engines because of gunked up pistons.

This could also be issue with your car, and it's cheapest thing to try.

What i wrote there is the procedure how to do it. If you check on youtube, you will find plenty of videos on that topic.

Hie    Hope you well mate. Had a compression test on the car today. turns out two pistons had no compression. We then poured engine oil on the ones without compression . Pressure then overshoot the range and damaged the instrument . it developed massive pressure. one mechanic then told us this type of engine has two sizes of pistons so chances are these two are the smaller type no wonder it had no compression after what was done and hence the engine oil sealed it and developed massive pressure, is it true this engine type has two sizes of pistons. tried to check on toyota website but got nothing . know anyt

On 9/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, NLOZ said:

How many miles have you got on this engine??? I have already got 3 Yaris with this engine and I can guarantee you they are really solid!!! Pipes and water pipe in stainless steel!! You don´t see any more good quality like this old engines.

Hi have got 1NF engine with 186000 miles on the dashboard and start to burn oil after 5000 miles was starting to burn 1 litter oil no big deal e break this car for parts because I bought Yaris Verso D4D wen I disassemble the engine was perfect just the piston ring was worn out.

I have one 1NF 1.3 VVT-I for sale with 120000 miles. 

Good luck you just need to replace piston rings and voila...

Hope you well mate. Had a compression test on the car today. turns out two pistons had no compression. We then poured engine oil on the ones without compression . Pressure then overshoot the range and damaged the instrument . it developed massive pressure. one mechanic then told us this type of engine has two sizes of pistons so chances are these two are the smaller type no wonder it had no compression after what was done and hence the engine oil sealed it and developed massive pressure, is it true this engine type has two sizes of pistons. tried to check on toyota website but got nothing . know anything

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links