Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bought a gen7 Celica

whitester

Hi folks,  new to the forum but been on the other lexus forum for many years and after looking for a celica came accross this one, no test no history nothing lol, just as good as it gets for the price i paid.

I am doing this for a winter project and next year going to get some pleasure out of it, It drives perfeect and no knocks or owt... It put a smile on my face.. 

I am wondering if anyone can help, was told this was a limited edition model, dont know why as it looks pretty standard..  

I know it needs full brake caliper rebuild new discs and pads.  got a couple of rust issues on the inner part of the door post which have now been welded up. 

It needs a good clean inside and then the outside will need a good fettling ...  

I will be wanting some bits , not sure as of yet but hopefully you guys will assist me.

what do you think guys of her 

IMG_20200920_173628_resized_20200927_094136788.jpg

IMG_20200925_152711_resized_20200927_094137056.jpg

IMG-20200922-WA0029.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, nice project, they're becoming collectable, think yours may have had one of the more expensive 'pack's added on purchase the only later special editions had coloured seats, one and only first thing to do is get it well jet washed underneath and try and nip in the bud any rust in the spots they go pre winter ideally.

Looking at the mot history it seems like a pretty reasonable one, good purchase well done!!

• Thanks 1

thanks matey,  it was a steal and the mot history does look good, I will keep you updated of the progress.. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome Tony...great car....had a Gen 7 for 2 years and loved every mile...put a smile on my face every time I drove it.

Had I somewhere to safely keep it wrapped up/garaged I would have kept it for a fun/weekend car.

• Thanks 1

Based on the factory wheel, that looks like a GTS with a 2ZZ engine in it.

I have a 2002 GTS auto, same silver color, have 320K miles on it, original engine and auto transmission, still running strong and smooth, trouble free.

I used it as a daily driver and long cruises. Still cruise near 100 MPH on long trips.

Car is mostly original, with a new DENSO radiator, a few DENSO ignition coils, spark plugs, 1 O2 sensor, 1 Mass Airflow Sensor,. All electronic parts were bought direct from DENSO, cheaper and assured genuine.  1 set engine mounts, a new Battery every 4, 5 years, many brake pads. My favorite tire is the SUMITOMO HTR series, size 205 50 16, W speed rated, a high performance, very fun tire with no maintenance problem.  I did most repairs and maintenance myself even though I am not a mechanic and have only a few hand tools. Had to have a shop remove and reseal the front timing chain cover to fix a leak, a 9-hour job  The guys removed all engine mounts, put the car on a lift and jiggled then engine up and down to clear the bolts that hold the pulleys  with very tight space around the engine.

Stock suspension was calibrated just right for high speed on freeways, firm enough to maintain control but supple enough to smooth out bumps. It feels like the car flies down the road. In comparison, Porsche 911 has light front end, bounces all over with every little bump. could quickly get out of control at high speed.  BMW Z4 has a roll oscillation problem even at low speeds.  Put the car into a steady turn at medium speed, the chassis would bobble. Could roll over easily. My friend who owns a BMW 335 loves to drive this GTS at 100 MPH, but he does not feel safe enough to do the same in his BMW 335.

I am still driving this car at high speed on long trip and have a blast every time.  The engine howls like a jet engine as the car flies down the road.  It's hard to keep the speed down and not wanting to race every car on the road.   

Your car isn't a limited edition, Tony..but it does have the £1500 "Premium" Pack (Leather/Sunroof/Climate Control).

It may have also had the £1500 "Style" Pack when new. I say that because you have the TTE rear spoiler which was part of that pack. However "Style" also included 17" six spoke alloys which may have been removed at some point. Of course, someone may have just fitted the spoiler at some point in the past.

Things to check carefully on the Gen 7:

Rear subframe

Brake Pipes

Fuel Filler Pipe (at the 90 degree bend behind plastic trim in N/S/R Wheel Arch)

Radiator (not easily checked, as they corrode in the bottom corners, but they're cheap enough new, and a good excuse to replace the Toyota Red coolant)

PAS Pipe

HTH 🙂

On 9/28/2020 at 4:04 PM, Scarlett Arrow said:

Your car isn't a limited edition, Tony..but it does have the £1500 "Premium" Pack (Leather/Sunroof/Climate Control).

It may have also had the £1500 "Style" Pack when new. I say that because you have the TTE rear spoiler which was part of that pack. However "Style" also included 17" six spoke Alloys which may have been removed at some point. Of course, someone may have just fitted the spoiler at some point in the past.

Things to check carefully on the Gen 7:

Rear subframe

Brake Pipes

Fuel Filler Pipe (at the 90 degree bend behind plastic trim in N/S/R Wheel Arch)

Radiator (not easily checked, as they corrode in the bottom corners, but they're cheap enough new, and a good excuse to replace the Toyota Red coolant)

PAS Pipe

HTH 🙂

Thanks for the info, all I was told it was a limited edition but the rear spoiler was fitted from new I was told so it could have had the premium pack, not sure about the alloys but would want to either change as they need a refurb or just get them refurbed. I shall look at the areas you say are problem areas as I have got plenty of time to sort it over the winter.. 

Just need to regas the aircon too and sort the heater out as drivers side not as hot as passenger side, just going to give it a good flush as the anti freeze is clean so not much crap in there i hope .... 

Tony

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links