Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mobile coverage?

Hugo Nebula

In the mobile app, the location and recent trips don't update quickly. It says, "we can only update if you park somewhere with mobile coverage". It also says it's still moving.

Does the car have an inbuilt SIM? If so, which network? 3G or 4G? Or is it reliant on being connected to my phone? And will it only update when it's on and my phone's in the car? Or does it connect via WiFi?

So many questions!

Sent from my Brain using my Fingers

My experience of the mobile app is very similar to yours; after a hundred mile drive today with a couple of very short journeys after that initially produced some info on one of the journeys. When going indoors after parking my car a short distance away, I was unable to open the app at all, as it told me there was an "error".  However, I was successful in opening MyToyota on my laptop,and my journey data was all present.  I then restarted my phone, and when I attempted to start the Android app, I was asked if I wished to use Wifi.  On accepting this, everything worked again, including the location of my car, and the journey data.

The short answer to your question is that AFAIK there is no inbuilt Sim in the car.  It relies on you being connected through your phone to the multimedia system.

The emergency call button does not require you to have a phone in the car, so there must be some connectivity between the car and the Toyota mother ship.

The data came through a few hours after, but not all of it!

I'd been for a 'spirited' drive in it for the first time. I am impressed with its handling on some twisty B-roads, and pleased that it does have enough poke to overtake.

I was interested to see what "hybrid coaching" would have made of it (on detention for a week!), hence my question about how quick it downloaded the information. However, it's only downloaded part of the journey. According to My Toyota, I'm in a ditch in the middle of a Welsh forest!e997d332250a0c04cade66a85388e544.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RabButler said:

The emergency call button does not require you to have a phone in the car, so there must be some connectivity between the car and the Toyota mother ship.

This might explain eCall better for you

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/101706/what-is-ecall-automated-emergency-call-technology-explained

• Like 1

For those that would like e-call but don’t want to buy a new car, The latest dash cams from Nextbase have e-call built in. I just ordered one, model 322GW, 1080p @ 60fps, bluetooth and wi-if. Round about the £100 mark but there are deals about. Point note is the micro SD card is not included but I just ordered a 64gb Sandisk with adaptor off fleabay for £11.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 9:20 AM, Hugo Nebula said:

The data came through a few hours after, but not all of it!

I'd been for a 'spirited' drive in it for the first time. I am impressed with its handling on some twisty B-roads, and pleased that it does have enough poke to overtake.

I was interested to see what "hybrid coaching" would have made of it (on detention for a week!), hence my question about how quick it downloaded the information. However, it's only downloaded part of the journey. According to My Toyota, I'm in a ditch in the middle of a Welsh forest!e997d332250a0c04cade66a85388e544.jpg

It might update with the missing information. I have had this issue myself , in deepest Banbury! The system insisted my journey ended in the middle of a duel carriageway. 

I also note that on occasion, a complete or part journey is added a day or so later.

I imagine the complete data record is dependant on receiving GPS positioning, and mobile signal, although I think the car stores some data if it can't transmit it live,  and transmits when a mobile signal is available. But if GPS signal drops out, I guess the journey details cannot be verified, and the system (rightly) does not make assumptions on how you proceeded.

That's how I see it based on my experience so far.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2020 at 9:05 PM, RabButler said:

So that would be "yes" then!

Not really, it's not an inbuilt SIM per se, but a machine to machine setup that has no tracking ability 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Not really, it's not an inbuilt SIM per se, but a machine to machine setup that has no tracking ability 

So how does the tracking appear on MyT?

Edited by RabButler
spelling and grammar.

5 hours ago, Parts-King said:

eCall and MyT are seperate systems, not connected in any way, MyT connects to your phone, more about it here

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-aftercare/my-toyota/how-does-myt-work

An interesting game of semantics!  I can view my journeys on MyT on my phone and my PC, but I do not need my phone to be in the car for my journey details to reach the Toyota server. So how does the car communicate with Toyota?

An interesting game of semantics!  I can view my journeys on MyT on my phone and my PC, but I do not need my phone to be in the car for my journey details to reach the Toyota server. So how does the car communicate with Toyota?
This was, in my clumsy way, the question I was asking.

It seems slow today. I went for a journey at lunch and it's still not recognising it. Normally they appear after around an hour or two.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 11:38 AM, Timmon said:

It might update with the missing information. I have had this issue myself , in deepest Banbury! The system insisted my journey ended in the middle of a duel carriageway.

To be fair, Hennef Way can often feel like you'll never reach the end. I don't miss my daily commute home at all.

• Like 1

I still haven't got the trips from yesterday in the app or from earlier today. Also filled up with petrol yesterday and its still saying 35%.

Same for anyone else?

• Like 1

I still haven't got the trips from yesterday in the app or from earlier today. Also filled up with petrol yesterday and its still saying 35%.
Same for anyone else?
Same here. My journeys after yesterday midday haven't been recorded, nor has my mileage or refill.

• Like 1

It seems to be working again today, although it's only picked up a brief drive from yesterday evening. The journeys I made from Tuesday to yesterday lunch time aren't there.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, RabButler said:

WiFi.  When it can pick up a wifi signal.  I had delays loading a 'send to car' route.  It only loadedafter the car was out of the garage.  Similarly the map update was painfully slow.  Parking my car nearer my router had a faster update.  

I guess that some data may be transferred via your phone and data.

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 3:34 PM, Wudzi said:

Also filled up with petrol yesterday and its still saying 35%.

Same for anyone else?

Where in the app does it show your petrol tank level?

14 hours ago, AKLZ said:

Where in the app does it show your petrol tank level?

If you have an earlier 2019 Corolla, as I do, the petrol level is not shown. I think it is because we have the MY17 head unit. If we did have petrol tank level, it would show in the "Car" section. We just have info like mileage, not petrol level.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Timmon said:

If you have an earlier 2019 Corolla, as I do, the petrol level is not shown. I think it is because we have the MY17 head unit. If we did have petrol tank level, it would show in the "Car" section. We just have info like mileage, not petrol level.

OK, you must be right. Mine was first registered Oct 2019, so presumably was built earlier in the year?

• Like 1

Yes I think so. November 2019 rings a bell as a date when the newer upgrades started to appear.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links