Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Change

tarantula_123

Have just got my Exedy clutch kit as my original is slipping. Looking to change at some point next week.

Was wondering if anyone thinks there is anything else that should be changed for peace of mind whilst the gearbox is off? 

I have read a bit about the rear main/crank seal, is this something worth considering? I know its quite expensive at Toyota, around £45.

Hi,

As long as its a full clutch kit with thrust bearing.

For a  17 year old  TS with a hard life ?  is there any clutch judder  ?  might be worthwhile getting a new flywheel or find a local machine shop who can skim it for you if its scored ?

If you have any oil leak from the bellhousing to engine joint then the engine oil seal or the gearbox input shaft seal could need replacing.

Its all down to your time put what parts you feel you will need to replace while the box is out ...

A £10 clutch aligning tool makes sure you get it in right and that the gearbox mates up  ok.

Make sure you know which parts need to be suitabley greased  and which  must not !  Check with the manufactures sites at they often have such info or see the Haynes manual etc.

My clutch renewal details might help -

clutch details(1).pdf

On 9/30/2020 at 9:08 PM, oldcodger said:

Hi,

As long as its a full clutch kit with thrust bearing.

For a  17 year old  TS with a hard life ?  is there any clutch judder  ?  might be worthwhile getting a new flywheel or find a local machine shop who can skim it for you if its scored ?

If you have any oil leak from the bellhousing to engine joint then the engine oil seal or the gearbox input shaft seal could need replacing.

Its all down to your time put what parts you feel you will need to replace while the box is out ...

A £10 clutch aligning tool makes sure you get it in right and that the gearbox mates up  ok.

Make sure you know which parts need to be suitabley greased  and which  must not !  Check with the manufactures sites at they often have such info or see the Haynes manual etc.

My clutch renewal details might help -

clutch details(1).pdf 561.5 kB · 3 downloads

Hi oldcodger, 

Yes I have the full Exedy clutch kit ready and 3 litre of 75w90 Fuchs Titan oil. 

I doubt I'll be doing it myself. Wouldn't mind if I knew someone who could do it mates rates, knowing the actual model of car. 

There is not really any clutch judder as such. Just slipping. 

Do you reckon I should get a rear main seal? As far as I'm aware there are no oil leaks just thought it would be a good precautionary thing to replace whilst the gearbox is off. Shame Toyota charge nearly £50 for the seal!

Regarding the flywheel I'm not sure. Again, what do you reckon? I've heard some say they never need replacing on the t sports. 

Hi,

Impossible to say what internal condition your car is in, best to have a chat  about flywheels and seals options with whichever garage you choose.

Its about a 3-4 hour job for a good mechanic but took me a full weekend, though the last time I took a gearbox out was on a Triumph Herald12/50