Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Non Toyota Cd Player For Yaris

Diesel-Dan

Hi there

I am waiting to receive my new Yaris Diesel GS model and have a question regarding the fitting of a cd player.

The dealer has said that if I don't choose the standard and somewhat uninspiring cd player offered as an extra, I won't be able to fit one at all.

Due to the onboard computer, a normal car stereo supplier / fitter would not be able to connect a cd unit alongside the tape cassette / radio that is fitted as standard.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Any comments / suggestions most welcome. :D

My girlfriend has a Yaris (T reg) with the digital dash and built in radio/tape deck. I bought her a new CD player for the car (Pioneer), and then though to see if it would fit. I asked the fitters at Halfords and they said it's not possible. (oh dear) I then asked a mechanic at the local toyota dealers, and he said it's not possible (Oh dear oh dear). Not wanting to get shot from my girlfirend - and noticing the seemingley perfect space just under the tape unit, I have managed to install the Cd player. You have to strip down the centre console with the LCD display and the heating controls, then remove the tape section - then with a bit of messing around it is possible to install. The hardest problem I have now connecting all the wire's so that the "built in" radio, tape, and the new CD player all work - looks like I'm going to have to take spurs of the existing wires and connect them to the new CD player. I also need to split the ariel into 2. - Anyone got a good wiring diagram of a T reg Yaris. You can email me at andy@fritha.fsnet.co.uk - I can give you full instructions on how to do it. - just not the wire's....YET, I will have that by tomorrow afternoon. -

I was just about to post some instructions on fitting the CD Player - but looks like you got it sorted.

You should be able to get a spliter lead for the antenna - I'm pretty sure you can.

Don't just spur off all the leads onto the ISO loom for the new Pioneer - if you do this with the speaker outputs you will more than likely fry both the factory fit audio equipment and the new pioneer - if not the Speakers as well. You can get a loom adapter from the Yaris wiring to a ISO connection for the Pioneer - you will only be able to use the CD player though, but who wants tapes anyways :D

Steve.

Thanks steve.

I know i'm going to have to uprate the Speakers - not a problem (he says), I have worked out a way to use the amp switch wire from the CD Player. - Basically this wire has voltage in it when the CD palyer is on, and no voltage when switched off - Putting a relay on the end of this wire will mean that.....

When the CD Player is swithed on no power can get the the built in radio/tape - all the wires for the Temp. and clock are still there. When I turn the CD Player off - the relay opens and power can get back to the radio/tape. (I know i have to reverse wire the relay, just swap the cables round) This will eliminate any over kill on the Speakers - should stop any voltage feed back though the system - and i'm impressed with it. The relay I got from www.bardwells.co.uk - very good very very cheap electrics.

Well thats the idear anyway. If I don't post a message later, I got the wrong cable and went BANG.

You could always get a pin out of the toyota connectors by looking at the ISO conversion lead.

Steve.

Thanks for the great feedback. It seems like a massive job and I think I'll have to say goodbye to a CD for the time being anyway as I'm not up to that! Think I'll just enjoy my new car first when I pick it up on Sunday! I'd imagine that carrying out all this work could also invalidate the warranty on the vehicle?

Dan,

Don't be put off by what we have been discussing, if you want to put an aftermarket cd head unit in your Yaris is is a half hour streight forward job as long as you have one medium sized philips screw driver, the adapter lead for the yaris, and your new boxed product.

The complexity that mr mind blowing is producing is because he is trying to get his factory unit to work in paralell with his new CD player - there are no benefits to this other than playing tapes - which is no benefit really at all.

As far as the warrenty is concerned its not a problem either, the warrenty is only void on the parts of the car directly related - ie if your Speakers pop because youve put a stereo in thats over powered and youve turned it up to loud - they wont replace the Speakers - but if you get a problem with the engine they will still sort it out no problem - they also have to be able to proove that its your cd player that has caused your suspension to colapse or whatever before they can refuse to carry out the work under warrenty :D

Your best bet is install the CD player and use the conversion cable - that way you are not modifying any cables or wiring looms, and it is all tried and tested to work!

Steve.

Thanks once again for the clarification.

One question though;

I've also just found that Caraudiodiscount.com stocks a range of CD multichangers that, when connected with a smart lead, will allow your original factory headunit to operate a CD multichanger. The kit comes with everything you need to connect the changer, or so they say!

For example, a Sony 6 Disc CD Changer, CDXT69 with supplied Interface ATYS001 is on offer. The website says that "This Unit Will Work With any 2000 Onwards Toyota Head Unit That Will Accept A Fujitsu 10 Disc Changer"

Just need to find out if the standard tape cassette/ radio unit in my GS will accept a 10 disc changer. Back to the dealer again I suppose…..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There

So glad I have found the TOC. Just about despared today. I have a 2000 Yaris 1.0 GS, and have recently decided to fit a CD player/radio head unit in the space conveniently located under the standard tape deck (which has never been used). Speaking to a local shop 10 days ago, I was left with impression this could be a doddle. With no Haynes manual available, when speaking with my dealer (on another matter) I asked if there were any instructions available for fitting one. This is where I start to see, I'm not alone. I was told Toyota don't release the information due to 'product liabilty' & furthermore I could only fit a Toyota one. I'd got an accessory list at home from when we first chose our motor (i.e. 3 years old) and wasn't expecting a cheap price, but was somewhat shocked at £302 (supplied & fitted) for the single disc unit! Gulp!! A little more expensive than you're average Sony headunit for example. However having read all your comments I am feeling much more confident. It appears all I need is my chosen unit and the ISO adaptor (?). Any further comments/suggestions/help (delete as appropriate) would be appreciated.

Good to know, we're all heading in the same direction.

Catch ya later, Stu.

Hi Stu -

Your absolutly right mate - for simply installing a standard headunit into the Yaris to use the factory Speakers etc, all you need is the new unit, and the ISO loom adapter.

The headunit fits nicely into that gap and you are actually bolting the unit in from the sides rather then sloting it into a quick release cage - so much more secure. You also have the benefit of it looking like it only has the factory fitted tape player, as with your face plate removed, it just looks like any other Yaris with the tape slot and controls, and a black hole underneith. :D

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I don't want a full on sound system, just the luxury of a CD player, therefore I will be sticking with the standard Speakers. Having read other comments on the forum, I might consider fitting some rear Speakers at some point.

I take it with the radio/cassette disconnected the digital display will still show time, temperarure and the fuel MPG?

Are you able to point me in the direction of somewhere I could get some instructions on taking the dash apart to remove the blank and fit the stereo, indeed you may be able tell me, if you can it would be much appreciated.

For now, I'll wait on your reply, as going to my local dealer and shelling out £300 sticks a lump in my throat for several reasons. 1) Cost, 2) It's not really what I want.

As I live in Worcestershire, i'm thinking of popping over to Bourton-on-the-Water this Sunday.

Cheers,

Stu :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links