Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Buying A Turbo Really Worth It?

qwertyuiop

Okay, I know some of you may have heard this question a thousand times, but what the hell.

Okay, Im about to buy an MR2, however i've seen a few between 4k and 6k. The ones Im looking at are all in pretty much excellent condition. They are all Rev 3 models and are all bright red. (1994+)

So, my questions:

1. Personally I don't mind the coupe version or the T-bar version, is they're any reason that T-bars are sort after or is it just a preference thing? Are the problems with T-bars really that common, and can you paint them to match body paint?

2. (and probably more importantly) Is there any real need to buy a Turbo version? If you were in my shoes, I'm 19 years old with 2 years bonus, and I can get decent quotes on the GT version rev 3 model. I'm yet to find a quote where I am actually allowed to be insured on a turbo model (turbos are ALL imports right?), any one i've tried says 21 is the minimum age. Whats the interior difference, performance difference, running cost difference. I'll be mainly using the car for work (*which is a fast drive through long back roads*) and obviously domestic use. I can't say i'll be bringing it onto a runway any time soon.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• qwertyuiop

• Fizz

• ZeroBlade

• Bibbs

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my questions:

1. Personally I don't mind the coupe version or the T-bar version, is they're any reason that T-bars are sort after or is it just a preference thing? Are the problems with T-bars really that common, and can you paint them to match body paint?

Personal prefrance....yes some leak...depends on the previous life, mine drips a bit, more so on the drivers side...not enough to really ***** me off so Iv'e left it, some are worse like Jimlads and he fixed his so It ain't a big issue....don't let it put you of one. In the summer they ROCK!! Iv'e never seen them painted...I'd expect it to be hard to get the glass looking the same as the body with painting it.

2. (and probably more importantly) Is there any real need to buy a Turbo version?  If you were in my shoes, I'm 19 years old with 2 years bonus, and I can get decent quotes on the GT version rev 3 model.  I'm yet to find a quote where I am actually allowed to be insured on a turbo model (turbos are ALL imports right?), any one i've tried says 21 is the minimum age.  Whats the interior difference, performance difference, running cost difference.  I'll be mainly using the car for work (*which is a fast drive through long back roads*) and obviously domestic use.  I can't say i'll be bringing it onto a runway any time soon.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yes type III is worth it and if you can get a turbo at resonable insurance then by all means do so.....if you go NA you'll just end up wanting a turbo after a while and then loss time and $$ swapping again. There are heaps of post's on the differences betwenn type II & III...just try a search :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Thanks for the info. I always thought the top of the roof panels on the T-bars were like a black, hmm, so the whole roof is glass, that sounds pretty cool actually.

Any advice on insurance companies for the Turbo (considering my age)?

Basically im after something that is fast (why im buying an MR2, they destroy any hatch) but also realistic - I'm not exactly going to be racing it, I'm thinkng will I even use the turbo, when does it kick in, I heard its around 4000 revs, what does that translate to in terms of speed in an MR2? For example there is plenty of places I can push my car - one of the roads I use on the way to work is about a 5 mile, pretty much straight forward, next to 0% incline, back road that is quiter than quiet. Another one near to home is about a 10 mile country lane with twists, sharp corners, with long straights, again this is always empty pretty much. I mentioned these 2 roads, as they are good roads (closest thing you'll get to a race track) to push your car on and I certainly take advantage of them always been empty.

Is a turbo really necessary for everyday use though?

As kiwi has confirmed.. the T-bars are a common fault.. but then its worth the little damp patches for those rare sunny days!.. :D Yes they are sought after and normally seem to keep a slighty higher value...

I cant see you gettin a half decent quote on a MR2 Turbo mate so i would not even consider one... stick to the N/A for now and when you hit 21.. you will have the option to move up.. :thumbsup:

Is a Turbo really worth it... YES! :yes::rolleyes: but then i am biased.. :P

Rev 3's are defo worth going for so that would be a good choice...

All turbo's are imports... as you rightly thought..

aged 19 and 2yrs ncb would go for the NA for a while and change later as insurance will sting...

they're all great cars but would opt for the t-bars as you would kill yourself for not getting them in the first place :)

personally would opt for a rev 2 NA as the suspension and brakes are better than the rev1 but more torque than a rev 3, therefore better acceleration :D

Thanks for the info. I always thought the top of the roof panels on the T-bars were like a black, hmm, so the whole roof is glass, that sounds pretty cool actually.

Any advice on insurance companies for the Turbo (considering my age)?

Basically im after something that is fast (why im buying an MR2, they destroy any hatch) but also realistic - I'm not exactly going to be racing it, I'm thinkng will I even use the turbo, when does it kick in, I heard its around 4000 revs, what does that translate to in terms of speed in an MR2? For example there is plenty of places I can push my car - one of the roads I use on the way to work is about a 5 mile, pretty much straight forward, next to 0% incline, back road that is quiter than quiet. Another one near to home is about a 10 mile country lane with twists, sharp corners, with long straights, again this is always empty pretty much. I mentioned these 2 roads, as they are good roads (closest thing you'll get to a race track) to push your car on and I certainly take advantage of them always been empty.

Is a turbo really necessary for everyday use though?

No real chance of being quoted on a tubby at your age mate... :(

And the roads you described will be ideal for a N/A MR2.. as the tubby is not all that happy on the twisties unless your an expert driver...

The Turbo would defo be used and there is a HUGE difference in acceleration mate.. trust me.. but dont think you could use that power round bends as good as the N/A...

I use the Turbo on a daily basis to work and back.. very thirsty but you asked...

'Is a turbo really necessary for everyday use though?'

To answer that i could ask...

Is a MR2 N/A really needed for daily use? :P

I was going to say, an NA can't exactly be a bad car, it's still going to leave anything like a ford focus in a trail of dust.....right?.....I got to be right.

Personally, if I were to go for the NA, I wouldn't want anything older than 10 years, so that makes it 1994 or older, is that rev 3 and up then?

What is the performance like in a GT sports? How expensive are they to upgrade, i.e. performance related?

Just for curiosity, does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure me on a Turbo. Just for price comparisons?

With MR2's the age really is not worth worrying about, was talking to someone in town who has just bought a '91 NA with under 36k on the clock...

The 3S-GE (NA), or 3S-GTE (Turbo) are bullet proof engines as are the cars, the most important thing is being patient and finding a good car.

When you know exactly what you want and your budget try drop Rash a pm as he's found a few members some superb examples and all of them have been extremly happy with their cars.

MR2's are awkward to price up as people pay different things for them, I'ld suggest drive as many as you can, find out exactly what you want and then choose, don't let age be a factor in the decision...

If your local to any of the members I'm sure someone would lend a hand and go look at a few with ya :D

Your right, I don't care about practicality, I'm after something that offers more than a regular hatch, and looks much better as an added bonus.

With them being a RWD and aerodynamic in shape, can you drift them?

How fast are the NA versions anyway? I'm talking if you push them, and then in comparison to a Turbo? I'm just thinking I'm not really going to get a chance to floor it in 5th gear for miles and miles and miles, unless I use a carriageway and somehow avoid speed cameras.

I was going to say, an NA can't exactly be a bad car, it's still going to leave anything like a ford focus in a trail of dust.....right?.....I got to be right.

Personally, if I were to go for the NA, I wouldn't want anything older than 10 years, so that makes it 1994 or older, is that rev 3 and up then?

What is the performance like in a GT sports? How expensive are they to upgrade, i.e. performance related?

Just for curiosity, does anyone know of an insurance company that would insure me on a Turbo. Just for price comparisons?

Leave a Focus for dead.. i should !Removed! hope so... :P

0-60 is reached in about 7 secs for the N/A with a top end of about 135/140.

And like Rhains said.. Age dont really matter that much with cars so old.. its all down to how a car has been looked after and maintained... Try and get a car with FSH mate.. and yeah.. Rash got me my mota.. and has got a few for others on this forum as well now.

Just click on his name in my sig and then drop him a line.. see what he can do for ya.. :thumbsup:

Prices do vary a lot, I've noticed. There is one on autotrader at the moment, 1999 rev 5 turbo model, looks like a Ferrari - I emailed the guy out of curiosity and it's the 5th one of its kind to imported, something like 28k on the clock. He's asking for about £13000 for it.

If you got access to MSN.. add me and i will more than happy to answer any of ya questions as much as i can mate... :thumbsup:

click on the MSN link below my post to get my addy

don't touch ferrari kits with a barge pole, unless of course you want todrive around looking like a pillock :D :D :D

they're the max muppet of the mr2 world :)

Just my opinion of course....

don't touch ferrari kits with a barge pole, unless of course you want todrive around looking like a pillock :D :D :D

they're the max muppet of the mr2 world :)

Just my opinion of course....

you should add that opinion for most of us on TOC Rhains.. :lol::thumbsup:

Glad im not the only one who thinks this. However this wasn't a kit, this is just a rev 5 model that looks very similar (mainly the paint colour and the angle the pic is taken at).

Glad im not the only one who thinks this. However this wasn't a kit, this is just a rev 5 model that looks very similar (mainly the paint colour and the angle the pic is taken at).

nahh man.. please dont say our beloved mota's look like Ferrari's from certain angles.. :P

Then again... the MR2 Turbo is known to some as a mini Ferrari... :ph34r:

Personally, in all honestly, I would never claim that my car was something it was not. Some MR2's look better than the old ferraris anyway. But the MR2's with the *fake* bodykits, that their owners sell for just ludicrous prices are just stupid. If I were to spend 17k on a car that isn't the real deal, I may as well spend 25k on a tent and pretend it's a house.

Back to the topic at hand, basically you guys are saying go for the turbo? Seriously my age and insurance? If someone offer me a good insurance company it would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the topic at hand, basically you guys are saying go for the turbo? Seriously my age and insurance? If someone offer me a good insurance company it would be greatly appreciated.

I think you will find that both me and rhains advised ya to go for a N/A for now... :thumbsup:

Like i said.. i cant see any insurance company quoting you on a tubby at your age.. and also.. this way you can enjoy the N/A and get used to the RWD and mid-engine layout...

and to answer a previous question.. no.. the MR2 aint a good 'drift' machine as all the weight is at the back...

I have a rev4 n/a for sale, absolutley mint condition. The T-bar has never leaked and everything works like it would in a new car....

Depends what you want.... if you want an mr2 just for the style, shape, looks whatever, then go for the NA, will save you ££££, still pretty nippy, mine 173BHP with a couple of mods.... Insurance, the one reason i will never ever ever buy a turbo mr2.... dunno why, but they are stupid to insure, i can insure a TT supra for £500 less.... :blink:

As your 19, you will get seriously caned on the insurance, im 23 with 2YNCB and would still be paying well over £1K for a turbo (or £600 for a 200sx/TT supra <_< )

Another thing to mind is imports when looking at NA's, they cost a shead load more to insure...

T-bar all the way, they leak a bit, nothing major, but soooooooo much more posing value in the summer :P

So, to summarise :rolleyes: , if i was in your shoes, and not a lottery winner, and it had to be an mr2, id buy the na for a few years (turbos are also much easier to kill yourself in! - na's are easy enough to crash!)

And make sure its a T-bar.... apparently rev 2 NA's are actually better than rev 3's, so you could get a real minter for your budget, or spend much dollar on modding it B)

Any car is easy to kill yourself in :P

True :lol:

Ok, re-word: easy to go backwards through a hedge in without meaning too :arrgg-matey:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links