Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

iPhone 6 interference / Prius 2016

Greg3

I recently sold my UK Toyota Prius 2016 to a friend.  He is having trouble using his iPhone 6 whilst in the car.

He has deduced that the problem is the Pius Key interfering with the phone signal.

Has anybody experienced this problem?

A solution could be to put the key in a Faraday Cage. But this should not be necessary.  Any suggestions?

Where is the iPhone positioned in relation to the key?  

Does your friend know anyone else with an iPhone 6 who is on a different network?

It could be that the network signal is to close to the frequency of the key.

Putting the key in a Faraday cage would block the car from seeing the key and cause all sorts of issues.

You could try the Faraday cage to eliminate the key as a problem. I don't think it's likely, unless the key is close to the phone's aerial. This is no good as a permanent solution. The warning beeps wll drive him mad, although the car will work ok. 

Where does he keep the phone while in the car? Is there anything metal or electrical nearby that could interfere with the mobile signal?

He could try keeping the phone on the dash, or in a window phone mount. The signal should be much stronger without bodywork etc in the way. 

It could also be a marginal mobile signal. There can be a big diffence between networks. 

IIRC my son replaced an iPhone 6 because of poor signal quality amongst other things. If other phones work in the car, then the fault is with the Apple

Otherwise, good luck. 

I’ve got a 2016 Prius & have never had a problem using my iPhone6s as an in car mobile to receive or answer calls. However, I’ve always felt that Toyota doesn’t support Apple products & there are quite a few features on the multi media that aren’t available to iPhone users. I don’t know if that’s now changed with recent models, but as much as I love driving my Prius this incompatibility with my iPhone has always been a big disappointment to me.

• 5 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 4:09 PM, BhxTrev said:

I’ve got a 2016 Prius & have never had a problem using my iPhone6s as an in car mobile to receive or answer calls. However, I’ve always felt that Toyota doesn’t support Apple products & there are quite a few features on the multi media that aren’t available to iPhone users. I don’t know if that’s now changed with recent models, but as much as I love driving my Prius this incompatibility with my iPhone has always been a big disappointment to me.

Not so much a Toyota issue. But an issue with the manufacturer of the Audio. 
support for Apple CarPlay appears to be slowly introduced but it’s country specific. 
Speaking from a personal note. I have never had any issues using the bluetooth connection and Siri as voice control.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links