Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 P2002 error saga - £1600 bill.

Robko

So I have only had my T180 1 month, wish I never bought it. P2002 code for a while, reset would be fine then it would come back on, eventually went into limp mode so decided to have the filter cleaned by a garage. Since then the P2002 light stayed on and limp mode everytime. Finally decided it had to go to Toyota, here's the bad news. Dealer told me it had a blocked pipe, didn't go into an detail but said the pipe cost is £82 however to replace would cost £800 labour as the transmission needs to come off!!

Anyone know what pipe would need £800 labour to change? They also recommended replacing the DPF filter at the same time as there would be no additional labour cost just the part, total bill £1670, seriuosly think I have been ripped off.

BTW its a 2006 model with 100k on the clock.

Your description so vague, i cant think why the gearbox would have to come out for anything engine related unless the sump needs to be dropped, then again theres ways to get around that

i take it you haven't had the work done ??

What engine ? if it has the old differential pressure sensor i would be tempted to be look at it (part No. 89480-64010)

also remove and clean the related hoses

Hi,

Two things  -

The place you bought the car from, was it a proper company or private ?

If a company you should have some comeback from them , if private its buyer beware, but if you can prove they are actually traders, selling car regularly, then they could be help liable, though a long challenge !

Think you need to ask your Toyota dealer( ?) for a full breakdown of the parts needed , their location and the time to fit them,

Most regular cars have 'book' times for doing specific tasks.

As i said the dealer didn't go into detail as the technical person wasn't available. They said its a blocked pipe relating to the DPF filter thats causing the P2002 error, but they said they need to drop the transmission to replace it and its an 8 hour job, so i am asking if anyone would know why a transmission needs to be dropped to replace a blocked DPF pipe. Can't give anymore detail for now until i get to speak with the workshop manager. It's the 2.2 D4D engine 180 bhp.

Private sale BTW so no come back, was ok for 2 weeks.

So an update from the dealer, apparently my car has a DPNR which is combined cat and particulate filter. From the DPNR there are 2 pipes that go to the differential pressure sensor, one of the pipes is bloked and needs replacing, to replace the pipe, (the metal pipe not the rubber hose) you basically need to drop the whole DPNR out hence the labour cost, with the mileage on the car it was advised to change the DPNR at the same time as there is no additional labour cost.

Apparently Toyota know of this issue and have updated and redesigned the pipes so they are less likely to block, so anyone with the old type beware. They tried to clear it with an airline but no good.

If Toyota recognise this as an issue to the extent they had to redesign the pipe you'd think there'd be some discount allowed?

If the car had a full Toyota service history, Toyota GB may be willing to provide a goodwill contribution. However, the age of the car could also impact on any decision to offer goodwill. The same would be the case with any manufacturer.

If the cat has been cleaned on the car it's done via those pipes, £800 in labour for what is 1-2 hour job is extracting the urine, I smell dealer BS

imho I would be looking at the pressure sensor, You can do a simple test disconnect the pipes from the sensor and start the engine you should feel the exhaust pulses through the pipes - alternatively you can blow the lines out with compressed air of try and pull a vacuum if it doesn't the pipes are clear

If you google the part number above you can see what the sensor looks like

• 2 years later...

Hi Robko, 

It's been a while but just wondering if you've managed to resolve this P2002 issue of your car's.  

I recently had two tire replacement at Kwik-Fit. But two days later I suddenly noticed the VSC, TRC OFF and Check Engine light are on. I then found from my OBD2 reader:

P2002
     ECU: 10
     Particulate trap, bank 1 - efficiency below threshold 

It drives fine at the moment (mileage 65,000 only, no problem in my hands of over 10 years) . Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, 

Mark (How to change my display name please?)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links