Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best tyres for corolla hybrid hatchback 1.8

TazUddin

need 2 front tyres soonish. Was wondering the best tyres for the car and a good deal if possible. Any tips would be appreciated 🙂

Buying cheap tyres is never a good idea to my mind. Tyres are the only thing ensuring that your car goes where you want and stops when you want.

• Like 7

I’d get the GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it won Auto Express’ 2020 tyre test and is a very decent price on Blackcircles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusWatson said:

I’d get the GoodYear EfficientGrip Performance 2 as it won Auto Express’ 2020 tyre test and is a very decent price on Blackcircles.

I had a used 2006 Lexus IS220D with these already fitted. They were 3-5 years old and cracking in the tread at around 4-5mm. I eventually replaced them with Avon ZV7's. Scrapped the car 3 months later as head gasket went!

I have Goodyear Ultragrip 9's winter tyres for my Volvo, that are 4 years old and no cracking. Superb on my rear wheel drive Volvo 940 Auto in the "Beast from the east". Summer tyres are Michelin Energy savers, always found them good.

My 2015 Auris Hybrid has Continental Eco contact 6 tyres. Mild cracking on outer front tyres. Original to car and covered 30k. Going to change fronts soon as around 3.5mm left but front nearside has outer shoulder wear. I'll get alignment/ tracking checked when new tyres fitted. Be interesting to see what's recommended for the Corolla hybrid.

Tyre-2-of-2.jpg

I recently bought a Michelin Alpin 6 205/45 R17, and they are really good, quiet, should last 50 000+ km according to the AutoBuild test, should perform almost the same for the whole life period. Look here https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Alpin-6.htm They are a little bit pricey but it's worth it 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MarcusWatson said:

Just been looking for tyres for my mum (albeit a different size) and saw these recommended too, on a couple of different tests. Alternatively, the Continental PremiumContact 6 mostly seems to be highly rated, and the Bridgestone Turanza T005 (usually a bit cheaper, I think) also seems worth a look.

+1 for Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. Got them on my Auris size 205/55 16 , probably the best on the market.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

+1 for Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. Got them on my Auris size 205/55 16 , probably the best on the market.

Have you had any cracking issues? How old are they? Was happy with them apart from the cracking. Possibly they had a bad batch?

Also like my Conti eco contacts 6 on my Auris.

James. 

Hi James, 

the cracking issue that you are taking about are for the first generation perhaps as the performance 2 just came out this winter and I have no any trouble, there are even no many reviews on this tyres except my one that you all probably already seen on the tyres review site. I personally never had any cracking or wear problems even with first gen as those Goodyear efficient grip performance are my choice for summer tyres since 2016 and I had already changed a few sets of them. First gen I had were made in Poland and Slovakia but the gen 2 I bought in March 2020 were made in Germany and produced only 5 weeks before my purchase, very fresh I would say. I have done 15к miles since and going to swap them with winter set today will inspect and get some pictures. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

Winter tyres on, the Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 doesn’t have any cracks after 15k miles, this might be the characteristic of the previous version or I didn’t use these simply enough, so far so good, tyres still have 7mm tread on and here is how they look: will try to find some pics of the the gen 1 and see how they look to compare . 

82E56758-DB7D-418C-97C6-42E7B10CAB97.jpeg

DF4131A2-AF90-4350-A92E-C5D7123BB11B.jpeg

1EE8861B-CD3E-469F-8257-5A09D8A30AE5.jpeg

262C56BF-90C7-4CD9-B508-24EF0BA7826E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Found them and I can confirm that first gen Goodyear efficient grip performance has cracks after 20k miles. I never paid attention to that, remember I spot that but since I hade these tyres on a previous car front one 50k miles and rear ones 90+k miles with remaining 4mm tread and probably some cracks that doesn’t affect the performance or safety imo. Here it is my cracked tyres.: 

B52198CC-0A8F-4A28-BFE7-7F11157E6D19.jpeg

9BE5550B-A94F-4A77-847E-82B2D1CF14C5.jpeg

ED108190-9B29-4038-90DD-625BD815FEC4.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures.

Glad to see they must of sorted the issue as your 2nd set are in very good condition. I was told the cracking is not an issue so long as no cords showing.

I will need new front tyres on my 2015 Auris hybrid as wear on passenger edge and around 3.5mm left. They are the original tyres and passenger front has mild cracking to the outside edge plus a slight nick in edge of tyre. Plan to also get alignment/tracking done.

I will either fit Continental eco contact 6 as what is already fitted or swap to Goodyear efficient grip 2.  What tyres would you go for?

Continentals a bit more fuel efficient but a bit more noisy!

James.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Hi,

My personal choice will be the quietest possible as Toyota cars are not very well sound proofed and suspensions are kind of on the hard side, not as good as German cars and tyres are of greater importance. Goodyear are very quiet indeed and most likely I will go for them. Michelin Cross climate is another possibility as a replacement tyres especially with weather going crazy these days , we can see snow as early as October or as late as May plus summer tyres gets hard and comfort is completely lost once temperatures are below 10C° 

Regards 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

My personal choice will be the quietest possible as Toyota cars are not very well sound proofed and suspensions are kind of on the hard side, not as good as German cars and tyres are of greater importance. Goodyear are very quiet indeed and most likely I will go for them. Michelin Cross climate is another possibility as a replacement tyres especially with weather going crazy these days , we can see snow as early as October or as late as May plus summer tyres gets hard and comfort is completely lost once temperatures are below 10C° 

Regards 

All season is something I'm thinking about. Thinking about Goodyear vector 4 seasons.

I have an old 1996 Volvo 940 estate I could use if the weather is really bad. I have a dedicated set of winter tyres. Goodyear Ultragrip 9's that I swap over. They are fantastic on my rear wheel drive automatic. 

Decisions, decisions!

James.

If only changing 2 tyres front or rear it’s best to buy same as the other two because different tyres has different characteristics and mixing tyres will offset the behaviour of the car, some countries it’s even Illegal to drive with different tyres. 👍

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If only changing 2 tyres front or rear it’s best to buy same as the other two because different tyres has different characteristics and mixing tyres will offset the behaviour of the car, some countries it’s even Illegal to drive with different tyres. 👍

The rear Continentals do have a bit more life in them. Probably either buy 2 new Continentals or 4 new Goodyear efficient grip 2 or Goodyear vector 4 seasons all round. James:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Auris James said:

The rear Continentals do have a bit more life in them. Probably either buy 2 new Continentals or 4 new Goodyear efficient grip 2 or Goodyear vector 4 seasons all round. James:thumbsup:

That’s best to do. 👍

• Like 1

Decided to go with Goodyear efficientgrip 2 as few here recommended and brilliant reviews online. Getting them fitted at Kwik Fit on Wednesday. Many thanks for the replys guys.

• Like 2

Please let us know how they feel and sound Taz!

• Like 1

Not had my Car long, but needed to change tyres dated 2010 and 2012 plus two later odd tyres.

Bought a set of Altenzo 195/60R15 88v tyres.  Yes they are cheap and Australian made.  Rated E for economy and A for wet road grip.  71db.  Around £35 each as I recall off t'bay. 

Seem OK. not that I've done much mileage, so far with lockdown etc.  Tend to use Maxxi's on my LS400 but they are 16 inch wheels not 15 inch.   

On 10/12/2020 at 4:07 PM, Auris James said:

The usual advice is to put the new tyres on the back. The idea is that you should always have the most grip on the end that you don't steer because it's harder to correct skids on none-steering wheels. Also under braking the front tyres will have weight transfer helping them to grip so are less prone to skid.

Ordinarily I'd be replacing my fronts as we go into winter since they are below 4mm but with the ridiculously low mileage I'm doing and that fact I'm less likely to drive in inclement weather (because I'm pretty much only driving to play golf :) ) I might let them wear a bit closer to the legal minimum.

My 4mm rule is based on the advice that 3mm is a low as you should run them (the legal minimum being far too low) and I assume I lose 1mm during winter. However some tyre manufacturers are now refuting this and saying it's wasteful. So I'm undecided. Do I want to protect the planet or me? :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Basically when the thread goes below 3.5-4mm depth the tyres loose the water drainage abilities and becomes prone to aqua planning , however in dry conditions they will work as good as new or even better, quieter than before and possibly more sticky. The better the tyres you have (premium makes) the longer they will work, some tyres almost does not change characteristics through out their life except the the Aqua thing, which means this can be only an issue if you drive regularly on motorways with higher speeds of 60mph and above, after that speeds the vehicles are more likely to loose traction if you hit a deep waters., also the cars with rear wheel drive are more in danger than the one with front wheel drive, these are the safest one, better than 4x4 in rain. The reason why many cars loose traction in heavy rain is exactly these:

1. Deep waters

2. Rear wheel drive

3. High speeds 

4. Worn tyres

If you interested how all things happen I can explain even further. 
Drive slower when weather is bad , it’s the safest thing every should do. In Germany for example many Autobahns has no speed limit in dry conditions and 80km/h (50mph) limit when is raining, make sense right. 👍
Btw the Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 in rain are the best, with my winter tyres now despite the car feels better, cold night drive below 10C° going through deep paddles is a bit of non pleasure., with the efficient grip no problems at all. 😉

• Like 2

Personally I have used Michelin Pilot Sport  4's on all the cars i have had in the past Honda's , VW ,Saab and now Toyota it is a softish tyre so handles well in the wet and when breaking. Its not a cheap tyre but you can shop around and they are so much quieter than the awful Falken tyres originally fitted to the Corolla Hybrid GR Sports .

• Like 1

OK had the tyre's for nearly a week now. Can't tell if its quieter but MPG has started to improve. From 57.7 to 58mpg so far. 

7 hours ago, TazUddin said:

OK had the tyre's for nearly a week now. Can't tell if its quieter but MPG has started to improve. From 57.7 to 58mpg so far. 

😃, when changing tyres and if the previous tyres are not a complete rubbish than you may not notice any difference,  once you get use to the new rubber and their qualities especially wet performance and you drive another car or try another set of tyres you will notice the biggest difference between the tyres and will value the Goodyear’s more. 👍 0.3 mpg gained still something 

• Like 1