Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best tyres for corolla hybrid hatchback 1.8

TazUddin

Just looking into it again for my Excel and I've noticed that the tyres are Extra Load tyres. Is there a reason for this? I know it's a slightly heavier vehicle but is it really that heavy?

Hybrids are slightly heavier yes, the XL tyres usually goes for the lower profile 17”&18” , I am not sure if the 16” wheels gets extra load tyres, they might be. I need to check some pictures. I bought non extra load 16”standard V speed index  and the car feels little softer in corners however comfort is better than the 17”. Now in colder nights the winter tyres on 17” size are way more comfortable than the summer 16” Goodyear EGP 2, that just proof that there is no best tyres for hybrid but best tyres for the season. 👍

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I  recently bought a used Corolla hybrid with Avon ZV7 tyres fitted to the front. They are dated 2620 and have only covered about 2000 miles, but they have developed radial cracks around the tread. (See pic). Should I continue using them or replace them with the factory fit Falken Ziex?  The Falkens on the rear are fine.

IMG_2255b.jpg

56 minutes ago, Yatoto said:

I  recently bought a used Corolla hybrid with Avon ZV7 tyres fitted to the front. They are dated 2620 and have only covered about 2000 miles, but they have developed radial cracks around the tread. (See pic). Should I continue using them or replace them with the factory fit Falken Ziex?  The Falkens on the rear are fine.

IMG_2255b.jpg

That’s normal and most other brands does it too. Nothing to worry about. These are actually not bad tyres. Can keep or change its up to you. I saw latest Michelin e primacy yesterday’s and they look interesting, and another one I can recommend are Goodyear efficient grip performance 2. 👍

Edited by TonyHSD

If you don't mind the premium, Continental and Michelin are usually up the top of most tests.

I've been tending more toward Hankook and Goodyear/Dunlop lately - Still good tyres but much cheaper!

Shoutouts to https://www.tyrereviews.com for good info!

Michelin Cross Climate + would be my tyre of choice going by previous experience on a couple of different vehicles.

A lot of UK Police forces also use these tyres.

• Like 1

Expensive! But a near-perfect all-season tyre for the UK - Very good summer performance and just enough winter performance to keep you out of trouble for the few days of snow we have! Most other all-season tyres are more balanced so they suck in the summer but are better in the winter, but since we don't get that much winter compared to, say, scandinavia, I think the summer bias of the Cross Climates is better here.

Obviously I'm not including you northerners who get regular winter blizzards up there :laugh: I think you're better off with proper summer/winter tyre rotations...!

On 10/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

My personal choice will be the quietest possible as Toyota cars are not very well sound proofed and suspensions are kind of on the hard side, not as good as German cars and tyres are of greater importance. Goodyear are very quiet indeed and most likely I will go for them. Michelin Cross climate is another possibility as a replacement tyres especially with weather going crazy these days , we can see snow as early as October or as late as May plus summer tyres gets hard and comfort is completely lost once temperatures are below 10C° 

Regards 

This is my sentiments exactly - I look for the quietest to try and minimise the tyre roar on the motorway.

I'll keep the Goodyears in mind. What are Crossclimates like for road noise? I know you can't go by the dB ratings because that's the outside noise rather than what transfers into the cabin.

When I was in the local dealer, I noticed that they're fitting Falkens as OE, which raised an eyebrow with me. I'm guessing current owners have found these are not the best of performers compared to premium brands?

• Like 1

Yea, I do like my OEM Falkens, but they definitely fit the 'budget masquerading in as mid range' slot on tests.

Most mid/premium score well on tests, just avoid the conti eco range, absolutely lethal in wet conditions (I had brand new one's binned, they were so dangerous), and don't perform that much better in the dry.

1 hour ago, frizzbee30 said:

Yea, I do like my OEM Falkens, but they definitely fit the 'budget masquerading in as mid range' slot on tests.

Most mid/premium score well on tests, just avoid the conti eco range, absolutely lethal in wet conditions (I had brand new one's binned, they were so dangerous), and don't perform that much better in the dry.

It seems like most if not all Eco tyres perform poorly in wet and on dry when pushed just a tiny bit harder. , that’s why I switched to touring tyres that offers almost the same performance as hp or uhp tyres but been more comfortable and fuel efficient. Example Goodyear efficient grip performance, Michelin Primacy 4, 

I put 2 Michelin primacy 4 on the front on corolla hatchback. They a very quiet tyre and grip very well especially in the wet. The only downside is there is no rim protection on the Michelin primacy 4

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys i bought a used 2 years (6.000miles)Corolla hybrid and it had fitted Bridgestone ecopia ep150 205/55 r16... I have done 500miles and the economy is very good but the comfort is much lacking at least compared to the test drive car i have tried before buy.

I am seriously thinking to change tyres because the main reason i went for the 16rims was the superior comfort.

What tyre you recommend for comfort? I am between Michelin primacy 4 and Goodyear's efficientgrip performance 2..

I would go for primacy but i have read some reviews  about muddy feeling that stops me..

47 minutes ago, stred said:

Guys i bought a used 2 years (6.000miles)Corolla hybrid and it had fitted Bridgestone ecopia ep150 205/55 r16... I have done 500miles and the economy is very good but the comfort is much lacking at least compared to the test drive car i have tried before buy.

I am seriously thinking to change tyres because the main reason i went for the 16rims was the superior comfort.

What tyre you recommend for comfort? I am between Michelin primacy 4 and Goodyear's efficientgrip performance 2..

I would go for primacy but i have read some reviews  about muddy feeling that stops me..

Have you checked tyre pressure on cold to see if they are within recommended numbers? Over inflated tyres can lose comfort and become a lot noisier than what actually they are if set correctly. I haven’t tried Michelins but Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 been issuing them for over 40k mile and they are great, however in cold temperatures like 10C° or below they like all other summer tyres become harder and comfort has been slightly reduced, apart from that these are probably one if not the best in class touring tyres. 👍

6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Have you checked tyre pressure on cold to see if they are within recommended numbers? Over inflated tyres can lose comfort and become a lot noisier than what actually they are if set correctly. I haven’t tried Michelins but Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 been issuing them for over 40k mile and they are great, however in cold temperatures like 10C° or below they like all other summer tyres become harder and comfort has been slightly reduced, apart from that these are probably one if not the best in class touring tyres. 👍

I am in Greece and we generally dont have much cold.. most days between 10-20 in winter..i bought the car from a toyota dealer that did service before release and the pressures were at 34psi that seems normal.

P.S. any thoughts about the new Michelin e.Primacy?

4 minutes ago, stred said:

I am in Greece and we generally dont have much cold.. most days between 10-20 in winter..i bought the car from a toyota dealer that did service before release and the pressures were at 34psi that seems normal.

34 psi can be over inflated for your car, check owners manual. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/corolla/2019/
33/32 psi front and rear 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

34 psi can be over inflated for your car, check owners manual. https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/corolla/2019/
33/32 psi front and rear 

I have lowered pressure to 32psi all around and will check later the results.

Overall i think that maybe i must check the production date of the ecopia..they have little mileage but maybe are 3+ years old, because compared to my premium contact 6 that i have in my kia ceed are much worse.

3yrs old for the tyre is still within the generally accepted 5yrs +/- maximum age for tyres. Garages tend to over inflate tyres, I had some new tyres put on my just delivered Toyota and they were standing at 2.7 bar (39 psi), I think I'll have to check from cold but that's definitely too high. OTOH, I am not feeling any discomfort from the tyres.

22 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

3yrs old for the tyre is still within the generally accepted 5yrs +/- maximum age for tyres. Garages tend to over inflate tyres, I had some new tyres put on my just delivered Toyota and they were standing at 2.7 bar (39 psi), I think I'll have to check from cold but that's definitely too high. OTOH, I am not feeling any discomfort from the tyres.

I am at work now but on the owner manual recommends higher pressures for over 99mph speeds.. maybe yout garage though that you are really fast?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, stred said:

I am at work now but on the owner manual recommends higher pressures for over 99mph speeds.. maybe yout garage though that you are really fast?

It seems to be a habit of tyre fitters. The fellow that switched Summer/winter tyres set the pressures at .2 bar (3psi) over recommended, as did the Peugeot garage when I had my 208.

I normally tell them what PSI I want as they just seem to inflate based on universal charts of questionable age which gives 'safe' pressures.

Amusingly I'm still not sure if mine should be 36psi/2.5bar or 41/2.8 (Why are there 2 pressures listed for 15" rims!? Even Toyota UK  don't know!) so have settled on 38/2.6!

When tyres are new they are usually softer and can remain elastic and cushion road better at higher psi but with the time 1.5-2years or more the tyre ages and become harder then the pressures are very important and even slightly adjusted can make a huge difference. 

That's a good point to make actually. Sadly with my mileage, driving style  and road surfaces I'm lucky to get more than 2 years out of a set of tyres! (Another reason why I went to 15" rims - Replacement tyres are nearly half the cost of the same on 17"s!! :eek: )

I need to check how the Mk4 is doing on tyres actually... The extra weight and high standing torque will likely increase wear, but the reduced braking due to regen should reduce wear so maybe it'll balance out and be easier on tyres than my previous cars?

Check the latest Michelin CrossClimate 2 - I think those are the best all season tyres on the market and probably the best ones for UK's weather. Michelin promise 60k miles, also the rolling resistance is better compared to the old ones. Had the CrossClimate + for almost 50k miles - they were great. The 2s should definitely be better

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links