Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Floodwater

StephenDSL

The road out of our village is flooded, will my Auris hybrid electric motor be ok driving through 50cm water?

So around 20 inches.

Wouldn't risk it. This would come to around the top of the wheel arches, so you're possibly risking the engine, water coming into the interior via the door seals, electrics, etc. 

You may also not be covered by your insurance, as you chose to enter floodwater rather than safeguard your vehicle.

• Like 3

50 cm will be just where your air intake is. It would suck the water in causing damage to the engine.

As said, don't risk it!

Probably would in my Volvo 940, but air intake higher. I wouldn't want to right off a newish car.

Came very close in a 1989 Volvo 240 petrol automatic estate in Ireland 10 years ago. Flooded for 70 feet. Drove up half way up pavement but massive dip into farmers gate/field. Water started splashing over bonnet. Trying to stall. got through and car spluttering. Switched off. Let rest for a few minutes. Water splashed everywhere as got a constant running fan. Removed air filter, which was wet! Though I had killed it! 

Started engine, it started and water and steam coming out of the exhaust! Drove on spluttering and misfiring and after 15 minutes dried out and ran perfect! Got home and removed debris half way up the grill!  I learnt not to do it again! Sold on 4 years later at 234,000 miles.  

James.

Yes I know about keeping water out of the air intake - The river here floods over the road a couple of times a year and in 2002 I destroyed the engine in the Renault Espace people carrier I had at the time, the stupid air intake is only about 150mm (6") above the road. What I was really asking is how much should I worry about the electric motor of the Auris hybrid? It is mounted fairly low down I think and I don't suppose water in it would be a good thing - anyone got experience of driving a hybrid through deep water?

See two previous topics:

But 20 inches is another matter ....

Your choice.

No problems at all going through deep waters with you Toyota hybrids, Russians had crossed proper rivers with them deep well over that,  the problem is not your drivetrain or Battery but the wheel bearings and these are expensive, think about £500 a corner. If for any reason you have to cross deep waters do so in EV mode very slowly, make sure the water doesn’t come above your number plate to keep your air intake dry, tiny bit of water inside air duct may not be an issue as there is special drainage holes but if you flood it you are done. Cars are not designed to be immersed in water. 👍

Thanks Tony, also Frostyballs, seems in summary that the motor and electrics are ok except perhaps some sensors but the air intake could be a problem for the engine if water above numberplate. Thanks all.

The river here has gone down to only just flowing over road so all OK for now!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Found recently that channel on YouTube, very interesting videos on how and how not to cross deep waters. Highly recommend all his videos👍
There is even an episode that Hyundai electric car went through without problems. Enjoy 

For heavens sake don`t drive through water 500mm deep in any regular car, and especially a hybrid.  You`ll almost certainly hydro lock the engine, probably wreck the inverter too.....DON`T DO IT.

• Like 2

i'm surprised the questions been asked, if its deep enough to float a boat its too deep for your car

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links