Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difference in performance between 1.33 and 1.6

Performance Issue

Good Evening,

I have just bought a very low mileage 2011 year 1.33 manual Toyota Auris. I could not fault it in any area, except that in hilly terrain, the performance was not good. It seemed that I had to often change down gears to go up and down hills, a problem I did not have with my former 2005 Toyota Corolla of similar engine size.

Since there are quite a lot of hills in my area, I am thinking maybe selling it and possibly buying a 1.6 Auris.

Does anybody know if this problem would be noticeably improved in the higher powered 1.6?

Thank you very much for reading and for any comments that you could give to me.

Simon

What you need to appreciate is the the Auris is slightly bigger than the Corolla and at least 65kg heavier. Also the Auris meets more stringent emissions standards than the Corolla (Euro5 as opposed to Euro4), which may have an effect on performance.

Depends whether you're changing down from 6th in the Auris, compared to keeping the Corolla in 5th - the 6th gesr would probably be a higher ratio than 5th in the Corolla.

Yes the 1.6 would perform better, but the fuel economy would be worse. 

Your choice.

• Like 3

Hi Simon, welcome to this forum, I sure you will find topics are interesting, most things solvable.  FBalls made a good point about gear changing.  In the past I was changing down more when got to long hills, or steep short hills. I now find with cars being more powerful I is not necessary as much,  it still much better to change down and let the engine run free, rather then let the engine labour in a higher gear. Living in Caithness I would imagine there are more hills to climb then where I live on the Cheshire plain. You will get used to it. The Old Corolla was a great car, and the Auris is too, you will get used to it’s characteristics for sure.

The lil 1.3 Auris needs a bit of work to get it going especially on hilly roads.

I love mine as is and i have learned to appreciate it for what it is.
@FROSTYBALLS has made so good valid points.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Performance Issue said:

Since there are quite a lot of hills in my area, I am thinking maybe selling it and possibly buying a 1.6 Auris.

Not the hairpins at Berriedale Braes 🙂 1st gear and don't be afraid of using all the rev range. The 1.33L Auris is up on both power and torque compared to the old 1.4L Corolla (we still have one of those) but the subjective feel is very different. The 1.4L feels alive and raring to go, the 1.33L always feels laid back as if being reigned in. Don't be afraid of using the revs and hanging on to the gears. The smaller VVTi engines come alive at that upper third of the range when needed and when not needed you have the benefit of better economy.  

• Like 1

Not the hairpins at Berriedale Braes [emoji846] 1st gear and don't be afraid of using all the rev range. The 1.33L Auris is up on both power and torque compared to the old 1.4L Corolla (we still have one of those) but the subjective feel is very different. The 1.4L feels alive and raring to go, the 1.33L always feels laid back as if being reigned in. Don't be afraid of using the revs and hanging on to the gears. The smaller VVTi engines come alive at that upper third of the range when needed and when not needed you have the benefit of better economy.  
Well said.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

i have been up a mountain with my 14 year old 1000cc Daihatsu Sirion meant for city driving you will be fine with just some hills and a 1300cc engine

I'm pretty sure the 1.33 should be fine for your needs, you just need to adjust your habits, drive it up in RPM's a bit more, the engine should be fine with it.

I got a pretty steep hill on my frequent commute, 14%, and 2nd has to be up to 4.5k rpm, or it will struggle in 3rd afterwards, and that's on a 91kw 1.6 engine.

A big thanks to all who gave me their views on my "Difference in performance between 1.33 and 1.6". The general consensus of opinion being that I should continue driving it and will eventually get used to the low-power. 

When I test drove the car in Wick, it did seem a bit slow but acceptable. However when I hit the braes on the road to Inverness a few days later, I started to think that actually, the car was underpowered for my purposes. I was fortunate in that I bought the Auris at quite a good price and so if put back on the market, could recoup all of my investment. I could then buy a 1.6V which would give me more muscle. 

Should I do this, would there be much of an increase in power and would there be much of a decrease in fuel economy? Any comments most welcome.

Thanks,

Simon

The difference in power between a post 2010 Auris 1.33 and a 1.6 would be around 30bhp. You can go on sites such as Honest John Real MPG to compare fuel consumption.

I suspect you will definitely see a noticeable hit in economy with the 1.6 but ultimately it has to be your decision. 

I can't explain this in anything other than subjective terms but I used to have a 1.8L Corolla TSport and while that car could catch pigeons if you explored the top end of the rev range (192bhp) jumping into our 1.4L Corolla never ever felt like it was much a step down in terms of normal day to day driving. The 1.33L Auris does initially feel 'slow' and the throttle response is purposely damped (for emissions and economy). It can feel very slow off the mark if you are in say second gear at 5 mph and put your foot down but that is just the way it is. On paper it is similar in engine performance to the 1.6L Carina II XL I used to have although way better on economy.

On the roads you are talking about you will not be able to just change into 3rd at say 2.5 to 3k rpm and expect to keep or increase your speed, it's just not going to do it. You are going to have to use the higher rpm region such as accelerating to around 5k or above in 2nd and then a quick change into 3rd and keep the pace up. Do that and I'm sure it will be fine.

And fwiw, I would take the 1.33L over the 1.8TSport I used to have as the 1.33L is much more refined at speed. There is also something quite satisfying about driving the underdog in the performance stakes, I think it makes you anticipate more. Try using the full rev range more when needed, it won't blow up or come to any harm.

6 hours ago, Mooly said:

On the roads you are talking about you will not be able to just change into 3rd at say 2.5 to 3k rpm and expect to keep or increase your speed, it's just not going to do it. You are going to have to use the higher rpm region such as accelerating to around 5k or above in 2nd and then a quick change into 3rd and keep the pace up. Do that and I'm sure it will be fine.

Yeah, peak torque is 3800rpm for that engine, you'll need to keep it singing between there and 6000rpm to make progress.

My 1.6 Auris gets around 47 mpg while driving in rural roads, between 50-60 mph.

City driving with a lot of shorter trips and traffic lights is around 40 mpg.

Crusing on highway at 60 mph with AC on is also around 47 mpg.

I think it's pretty decent for 91kw 1.6 engine that i have.

You can compare the mpg to yours and see if it's worth the trouble.

I still think if you adjust your driving style, to the car engine, push it in the RPM's, and it will do just fine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links