Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing cruise control to non motorway

mikmikmikmik

How can I change the cruise control so that the first time I press it, it does not do the motorway cruise control,but rather the normal cruise control.

I currently have to hold the cruise button in to go past the motorway CC to get to the normal CC.

Thanks.

That’s what you have to do, no getting round it. Adaptive cruise control isn’t just for motorways, it’s equally, if not more, applicable to single-carriage roads. 

At least you get the choice.

I wish I could turn off the auto headlights, which have nearly caused a collision 3 times so far when lights have come on in shade from buildings or overhanging trees and people have thought I'm flashing them (even though I've set them to minimum possible sensitivity).

I had the same issue when I got my RAV, surprised me as well. The forum put me right ! A prolonged hold of the cruise on button cycles it to what I would call urban cruise. You get 1 mph increments and I believe the radar is disabled. Works just fine for me.

I found the radar on motorway cruise OK but the 5mph increments are too abrupt. Yes that is a none adjustable setting. For UK motorways with the amount of cameras we have I think the 5 mph increments are something that should be adjustable.

Really? Who the heck is on a motorway everyday and needs the motorway cruise control before needing the ordinary cruise control?

Gawd, I really hate these options that cannot be changed on cars. Over the years I have had to deal with things like stop/stt mode always turning back on after a restart, and now on this car, not only this stupid motorway cruise as the first option, but the radar setting button on the steering wheel doesn't keep it's setting either.

How come manufacturers have not realised. every setting that can be changed, should also be saveable across restarts.

Now I have to %$(ing live with these two stupid  non saveable settings.

Hmmm, you don't seem to realise that some manufacturers have your best interests at heart and therefore reset a good number of setting in the interests of safety. This is, I suspect, the reason that the radar setting sensibly resets itself to the furthest option. Hardly a chore to press the button to change it when using it.

As for what you term 'motorway cruise' it isn't , it is adaptive cruise and brings with it an amount of safety and can apply the brakes at a lesser amount than the pre collision system would. Travelling on busy motorways in the North West it is very useful and much more useful than a fixed speed. Also works on A roads and can be useful slowing down and speeding up again as people in front turn off. Once you get used to it and work with it instead of fighting it you might find it useful. You don't have to stick with 60 or 65 for example, you can set it at 57 or 64, just the increases are in 5 - hardly an issue.

Previously you queried whether Toyota would know if you used an OBD11 device. Are you aware that Toyota will be aware which cruise mode you would be using if there was an incident ?. The TSS has a field for cruise control but I haven't seen this filled in. The manual does state though " Select this mode only when vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode does not function correctly due to a dirty radar sensor, etc."

I hope this helps although I doubt it as you seem to have a complete downer on your RAV4 and will never be happy with it although I would be happy to be proved wrong !

Who the heck is on a motorway everyday and needs the motorway cruise control before needing the ordinary cruise control?

Err, many people who commute daily. As Peterd23 says, it’s not ‘motorway cruise control’ as you insist on calling it (where did you get that term from, I’ve never heard it before), it’s adaptive cruise control and does exactly that, adapts to the speed of the traffic in front. That makes it hugely useful on a motorway but also on any road, with or without traffic. 

• Like 2

For the UK, I read highways and freeways as motorways.

From the owners manual: 

"Use the dynamic radar cruise control on freeways and highways"

Ok, a genuine question: why would you choose the ‘traditional’ cruise control instead of the dynamic cruise?  The 1mph incremental increases would be one reason as the 5mph increases on the dynamic are irritating, completely agree.  But if the increments were the same, are there other reasons?

From the owners manual: 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:00 AM, Adamthenav said:

Ok, a genuine question: why would you choose the ‘traditional’ cruise control instead of the dynamic cruise?  The 1mph incremental increases would be one reason as the 5mph increases on the dynamic are irritating, completely agree.  But if the increments were the same, are there other reasons?

But the increments are not the same. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore cos even a couple mph over the limit gets you a ticket these days.

I thought the normal cruise did not use radar. But I could be wrong.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:34 PM, mikmikmikmik said:

From the owners manual: 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:00 AM, Adamthenav said:

Pages 375 / 376 discuss "constant speed control mode" - aka ‘traditional’ cruise control - and state:

When constant speed control mode is selected, your vehicle will maintain a set speed without controlling the vehicle-to-vehicle distance.
Select this mode only when vehicle-to-vehicle distance control mode does not function correctly due to a dirty radar, etc.

So, where the manual says "Use the dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range on freeways and highways" it should be read as meaning "use cruise control on main roads [and do not use cruise control on minor roads]."

The radar only works well when it can 'see' the car ahead (or an open road). This requires that the road is reasonably wide, straight and level - i.e. a 'main' road. As the roads get narrower, more windy and hillier (i.e. a bit like A roads in Wales!) the radar is likely to to 'miss' the car ahead when it disappears around a bend or over a crest causing unexpected (and unwanted acceleration) - yes, I have done this and it's quite fun if a bit silly!

So, to Adanthenav's question, there probably is a narrow window of opportunity where constant speed cruise control might be helpful and radar cruise is just too much fun!

The 5mph increments make sense when you think about it. Assume that you are travelling on a dual carriageway (or motorway) with the cruise speed set to 70 and you come up to a set of roadworks - four quick presses on the 'slow' button resets the set speed to 50, and, at the end of the roadworks, four more presses get you back to 70 again. UK speed limits are always multiples of 5mph. (And, on the continent always multiples of 5kph).

Page 376 describes how the dynamic radar cruise control is linked with the Road Sign Assist function so that a single "press and hold" of the "+RES/-SET" switch can adjust the set speed to the recognised speed. I've not had the opportunity to try this yet but it may be very helpful on sections of variable speed motorway.

Of course, the foregoing assumes that you actually want to abide by the speed limits ... 🙂

3 minutes ago, gavioliuk said:

Page 376 describes how the dynamic radar cruise control is linked with the Road Sign Assist function so that a single "press and hold" of the "+RES/-SET" switch can adjust the set speed to the recognised speed. I've not had the opportunity to try this yet but it may be very helpful on sections of variable speed motorway.

I find it very useful when the speed limit has increased.  Not always when speed limit is lower.

If you're in traffic that's moving at or only slightly above the new speed limit, it's fine.  But if you went from, say 70 to 40 limit and you were doing 70, you can't use this method until after you've passed the sign for the new limit and it's been correctly recognised.  A lot of people won't care, but on a variable speed limit motorway section with gantry cameras on the same gantrys as the variable speed limit signs, even though it may apply the brakes, you might get flashed before the speed is below the trigger threshold.

• Like 1

I got my knickers in a twist trying to comment.  I will try again. I have a series 4 2019.

I find radar cruise control; useful in 30mph areas, as mine will work down to 25mph before coming out of the mode.

The problem I have moving down in 5mph increments is that the brakes are applied very hard.  Moving down four increments ie 20mph could prevent a problem to following traffic especially if tail gating.

1 minute ago, gavioliuk said:

...I have a series 4 2019...I find radar cruise control; useful in 30mph areas, as mine will work down to 25mph before coming out of the mode...

My last 2016 Prius was the same.  The new Safety Sense V2 package on the RAV4.5 can be set to a speed down to 18 mph, so it's genuinely useful in 20 zones.  It can be set to resume from 0 mph - when stopped at traffic lights, for example, you can hit resume while stopped with a foot on the brake, even with no vehicle in front.  If the foot is removed from the brake pedal, it stay's stopped until either the accelerator is tapped or the resume button/lever is hit again.

At times where the cruise control is inappropriate, I may use the speed limiter, which oddly can be set to a minimum of 20 mph, not 18 like the ACC.

1 minute ago, gavioliuk said:

...The problem I have moving down in 5mph increments is that the brakes are applied very hard.  Moving down four increments ie 20mph could prevent a problem to following traffic especially if tail gating.

Yes indeed.

More often than not, I hit the cancel button ahead of the lower speed limit and let the speed decay naturally, hitting resume when at the new speed.

• Like 2

So, is there a way to swap the button function?

I want non radar CC more than I want radar CC.

Can the dealer configure things like this in the techstream vehicle configuration section that I cannot get into because clicking on vehicle configuration brings up a window asking for a code? 

Thank you.