Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dab radio reception

Nigel smith

I have that too sometimes, but I read that it could be interference from my Dashcam..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

DAB is notoriously patchy, and still not implemented to its true capacity. 

So it may not be down to onboard electronics,  unless its consistently bad  😉

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:31 PM, Nigel smith said:

Hi has anyone had problems with dab reception?

There is a Technical Service Bulletin from Toyota regarding Poor DAB reception:

BE-00042T-TME

Subject: Toyota Touch 2 - Poor DAB-reception on OE-radio assy.

Models - Model Codes: C-HR - NGX10, NGX50, ZGX10, ZYX10; Hilux - GUN122, GUN125, GUN123, GUN126, GUN135

DESCRIPTION OF THE PHENOMENON Some customers driving vehicles equipped with Toyota Safety Sense-system and Front windshield glass mounted OE DAB-antenna may experience and report poor DAB-reception on DAB- radio stations they normally listen to. Poor DAB reception might be perceived via audible long mutes (no sound audible when listening to a DAB-radio station) OR the DAB-screen of the radio display will show as in below picture "No signal" for a longer period. Note : Long mutes / "No signal" for a longer period = approx. 30 seconds or more.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The following has been changed: The software of the Touch 2 Display Audio-unit has been changed to not result in a 30-seconds mute when searching for the same DAB-station with better reception quality.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION Below included production change information includes the Touch 2 Display Audio-unit software change to respectively VE3947 or HE3947 for C-HR and XE3947 for Hilux, Noise filter & Plate adopted on both models

Also of note one of the issues corrected above is electrical noise near the DAB antenna from the TSS camera harness and noise filter is fitted to reduce this, installations of Dash cameras

in the area either side of the TSS camera have also been found to emit electrical noise and a filter may be needed for the dash camera power line (Dash cam filter is not a warrantable issue)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 68 reg c-hr and the DAB radio reception is rubbish compared to the 65 reg Auris that I had before it. I have started using FM again when I use the radio so I don’t have to retune all the time

• 1 month later...

I’ve just had the “fix” for DAB reception today. They confirmed my software is up-to-date, but had to fit the in-line filter. Will have to see if it improves reception over the next few weeks.

• 2 months later...

Does the above Technical Service Bulletin apply to the Corolla (2020) with a Toyota Touch® 2 with Go Navigation?

I have poor DAB (and for that matter FM) reception, even around north London. My previous car was a Prius Plus (2017) which had a similar system but had better reception.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, Trowsers said:

Does the above Technical Service Bulletin apply to the Corolla (2020) with a Toyota Touch® 2 with Go Navigation?

I have poor DAB (and for that matter FM) reception, even around north London. My previous car was a Prius Plus (2017) which had a similar system but had better reception.

No it does not, do you have a dash cam installed?

• 5 months later...

I bought a brand new chr in April this year it's been back to the dealers three times now and at the moment they kept the car to try it again on Wednesday not impressed with customers services but lovely car to drive 

For info - mine has been back a couple of times and they’ve basically said there’s nothing more they can do. All fixes are in place.

Interestingly, my wife’s 2018 Yaris has great reception - the only difference is the antenna is roof mounted pole,  opposed to poxy little orange line in front screen.

On 10/13/2020 at 10:43 PM, frizzbee30 said:

DAB is notoriously patchy, and still not implemented to its true capacity. 

So it may not be down to onboard electronics,  unless its consistently bad  😉

I agree with frizzbee30, we expect to lose DAB in particular spots on a regular trip into town, descending a hill with buildings forming a canyon effect, parking up in the trading estate with wall to wall sheds in front and so on. 

We also notice that we lose some channels rather than others.  LBC ch11D is particularly sensitive whereas we can often get our local Radio Lincolnshire. I haven't done thorough research to find out whether different broadcasters have different signal strengths or whether it is frequency critical. 

I drive a Kia Ceed pool car for work and that never drops out - even in remote parts of the country. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The kids of signal we experience is associated with deep hollows or artificial ones as I described.

37 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

The kids of signal we experience is associated with deep hollows or artificial ones as I described.

Nope, Kia signal/reception never drops out, whereas, C-HR in same area on same station drops in/out.

I would not buy a Kia though based on DAB reception. They’re not as good as the C-HR imo.

• 11 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 9:42 PM, Devon Aygo said:

No it does not, do you have a dash cam installed?

I have Carolla 20 plate also and DAB is terrible , compared to any other car.Dont have a dash cam . Been terrible from new . 

• 6 months later...

I have a 2019 Hybrid Corolla, and my DAB reception is patchy, especially with BBC stations.. it’s getting annoying now, so has anybody tried fitting a signal booster?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same problems with the DAB dropping the signal on my C-Hr.

I think it is down to a poor quality aerial, because on my previous car, (ford focus), I added a Dab unit which gave me the same issues, until I changed the aerial, (cost £10 for the aerial). After changing the aerial I had no further problems with lost signals and actually was able to tune in to more stations.

So I conclude that Toyota's penny pinching must have included a cheap poor quality aerial, when I find out how to replace the shark fin aerial on my C-Hr, I will do so.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows how to change the shark fin, or if anyone as done so.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:57 PM, alun101_uk said:

I have a 2019 Hybrid Corolla, and my DAB reception is patchy, especially with BBC stations.. it’s getting annoying now, so has anybody tried fitting a signal booster?

Contrary to this, I have noticed the BBC National broadcast can often be received when commercial once such at TalkTV are not. 

It might be different frequency bands or signal strength.  I think frequency is more likely.  Total loss of all signals still occurs. 

• 2 weeks later...

My C-HR has been in for its first service and have been running around in an Aygo X loan car. I have travelled a number of route I usually go  and the DAB in the Skateboard has not dropped out once in 48 hours. Also as previously mentioned this week I have been out in a 44 Tonne MAN covering some 2000 miles and not once has the DAB given any sign of dropping out.

I have always been of the opinion that either the arial  or the infotainment system in a C-HR is totally not fit for purpose.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links