Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Awkward License plate bulb replacement lol 😀

Jason 2020

Hi guys, don't suppose anyone knows why my handbook doesn't tell you to open the inside like in the video. If I just do what  my handbook says, it won't come off, and I'm convinced if I use any more force I'll break something lol

https://youtu.be/7LYx6EaosQw

IMG_20201010_205240200_BURST000_COVER.thumb.jpg.ced0c3ca6b9d95458feacfc79c78e808.jpg

Presumably because it is designed to be accessed from outside.

• Thanks 1

I can't get it off without breaking it. The thing is, in the picture it shows the screwdriver vertical taking it off, but No screw driver can be vertical on my car because of the shape of the boot, I have to go at an angle.

I've said this for years, I'm convinced that car makers and designers at the board meeting say to each other: " Right ! Let's make it as hard and as awkward as we can, for drivers to change bulbs" 😒😀

Hahah, the designers and directors and their products recent years are beyond stupidity for all tech not only cars, it’s kind of rushed job done, all to be fast and poor quality, what a horrible thing. The days when people were designed and built quality goods are gone. Now everything is upside down. Anyway, best to change bulbs is to get whole thing out and remove carefully the clear cover, out a new bulb in and close the cover . Try changing the bulbs of the stop lights , it’s even worse. Try not to break it as the new once are circa £40 each 

• 1 month later...

It's impossible with a standard flat-head screwdriver.

I solved the problem by making my own tool: if you bend the stem of a small teaspoon you can work around the obstacles.

• Like 1

You can get it out from the outside too, but very high risk of breaking, did it once.

From the inside it is easier, but still hard to pry it out for the first time.

Once you get it out 2-3 times, it's much easier, but first time it's a real pain, just be careful not to damage it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope is not to late for you 😁

Don't do it from the outside.

As Tony has pointed remove the whole lamp from the inside - you should have accesss to it if you remove the small lid-cover from the inside the boot. Then push the whole thing outside, remove the clear cover and change the bulb. Then push it back and that's it.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Try pushing a small electrical screwdriver into the end of the lens but push it in rather than levering it down as suggested in the handbook.

I think there is a small plastic moulded clip that holds it in and by pushing it in you release the clip wrap a bit of tape around the screwdriver to avoid damaging the trim also best if you can use a trim tool if you have one.

that is how I removed the boot light lens on my corolla.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links