Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0336 Error Mk1 Aygo Blue 2009

Kangaroo1

Evening all,

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help... Had an issue yesterday when starting the car. Tried to start it up, all the lights came on, but wouldn't crank over! Nothing! Thought the Battery was flat (been sitting for about 2 weeks), so jump started it. Turned it over, it started, and there was a loud screeching noise, as I checked under the bonnet the noise was accompanied by the smell of burning rubber & a bit of smoke. As I went to turn it off, the engine cut out. It was only running for about 20 - 30 seconds. I called out the RAC who checked it out & turns out the alternator was seized!

Discussed it with him & he tried to free the bearings using WD40, but to no avail. Suggested I try it again after 24 hours. Duly did this earlier & it's now cranking over, but it's quite sluggish, but not quite firing...I stopped before the Battery went dead. I'm sure that this is now Battery related, because of the drain on it yesterday..   

I'm waiting for a new alternator & belt to arrive, to swap out, but in the meantime thought I'd check the diagnostics & got a P0336 pending  "Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" circuit range/performance". I have no idea how long it's been there, as my OBD2 reader isn't that smart. But having looked it up on line I can see that it's often caused by the ECM reading an irregular voltage coming from the crankshaft position sensor, or starter motor/starting system problems, or even just a weak or dead battery...

I'm guessing it's related to the non starting? But would very much appreciate some further thoughts on this?

Before this, I've not had any problems in the 2+ years that I've owned the car. Up until March I was driving 25 miles per day, commuting, and the car ran fine, I have had no problems with it whatsoever.... although I have been working from home since April so it's not really being driven very much, I'm always careful to start it up regularly, let it run up to temperature & drive up & down the road to release the brakes etc. 

Thanks in advance! 

Its just one of those things, electronics hate low voltage and will throw all sorts of random codes, the Battery may have gone weak too, if it's original it's 11 years old time for a new one, a Bosch S4 or Varta are decent replacements

• Like 1

Cars rely on the Battery do much more these days. They gave to be 100% so if yours is 11 years old it's done well. Get a good brand, yuasa , bosh etc. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys! I fitted a new alternator last weekend, and all seems fine again now. 

Ref. the Battery...It's a Yuasa YBX3202 (40Ah, 360A) and it looks like it's not actually that old. Whilst the installation label on the back hasn't been marked off, it shows "fitted" as "2017, 2018, 2019 or 2020" And there's a "recharge date of 01/19. I bought the car in July 2018, so I'm guessing it was fairly new then.