Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

brakes are smoking

Ruben1619

So my dad has a 2004 Toyota Camry 4 cly. and his front driver side brakes caught on fire. We replaced the caliper and brake pads. After that we did bleed the brakes to make sure there was no air in the system. Took it out for a test drive to makes sure that it was working properly. Everything seemed fine to me and brakes worked fine. My dad took the car out to get some food and on his way back he could smell smoke and got out to check on it and noticed smoke coming from the same side that had caught on fire. I have no idea what could possibly be causing this please any information would be helpful thank you in advance. 

When you had the car up in the air did you revolve the wheel. It should revolve pretty freely. Obviously something is sticking. Try the passenger side wheel and see how free that revolves. 

road debris obstructing caliper motion or internal debris blocking the flow of brake fluid may be the reason. Since the side brakes caught on fire, there is possible chance of debris in this case clearing the obstruction may be helpful

If its happened twice and you have replaced the caliper, with a new piston and seal I assume ?  then its possible you might have a problem with the flexible hose to the caliper, in that its collapsing and acting as a one way valve, allowing you to pump fluid into the caliper but not allowing it to return when you stop braking, so hold the pads on all the time ?

Possibly a simlar thing happening with the ABS unit, though not read about such a problem.

Generally better to replace all brake parts, calipers,discs, pads  in Axle pairs as just doing one side can lead to a braking imbalance.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links