Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Motorway driving

Txnis

Hi guys, first time poster and I don't have very much car knowledge so would really really appreciate any and all help. 
I'm looking to buy a Toyota Yaris 1.33 VVT-I Icon (2016) car and everywhere Ive read has basically said it is not good for motorway driving which is what I need it for Ill be doing around 90 miles to work and back everyday and I don't know if the car will be able to handle this? Oh and its a 1.3 litre petrol engine.

Of course the car will be able to handle it. Where did you read about this car? Some motor journalist review probably, maybe? They are super critical and personally I read them with a pinch of salt. The journalists tend to pour scorn on anything that cannot go 0-60 in under 8 seconds, and the Yaris is far short, and nothing wrong with that.    
What matters more is what users say and the Yaris has always been a popular car right from the Mk1. It will cruise on the MWay at 70 no doubt, if you get to a long hill you may have to change down from 6th to 5th to keep the revs up and some pep in the engine but that is no big deal.              
There is a Yaris section on this forum, take a look and see what users think, see what fails reoccur for that year of car, but remember, all cars have heir faults, non are perfect (but a Gen4 Prius is pretty near-but that is my opinion) lol.

• Like 2

That's simply not true Tania....the Yaris will cope very well...and as a bonus it will be reliable too...unlike many others ypu might choose.

You'll soon learn to get the best out of it.

• Like 2

I used my 1.3 Yaris frequently for a motorway return trip of 220 miles. Never a problem. 

• Like 2

I have to agree with the others. I've never felt any aches and pains (other than the usual:laugh:) after a longish drive, Motorway or other. The car sits comfortably at 70mph, where possible, and doesn't sound or feel stressed in any way. Mine is a Multidrive transmission and the engine revs are at 2000 doing 70mph.

For getting reliably and safely from A to B there's really not much better. As long as servicing and maintenance are followed then it should give you many years of excellent service.

Don't listen to the nay sayers and as Joe writes it will be from, mainly, some numpty motoring "journalist" who will only entertain some boy racer transport! Or someone who has never driven, or even owned one.

• Like 3

Hahaha 0-62in 8 seconds, nope if more than 5 it’s rubbish for them😃, auto journalists are clones 95% of them period. Any car can do motorway journeys even the smallest one too. However cars that are more suitable for motorway journeys are slightly larger cars, let say Auris, Golf, Focus and above., simply because they are bigger, heavier and provide more comfortable and safer drive than a smaller class like Yaris, Polo, Fiesta., there is no doubt about it, please take this from a man that does 200+ miles every day on  U.K. motorways. Best suited cars are Even one class above for example these are Passat, Corolla saloon, BMW 3 series or Mercedes c class, well obviously not always make sense driving or owning one of these so you use whatever you like, or you have or can afford. Toyota are usually reliable cars and driving your Yaris on motorway will be ok., when the time for changing your car comes and you still doing 90 miles a day my recommendation is to look for something bigger, Corolla hatchback hybrid will be Best Buy imo. Until then enjoy you car and don’t worry to take it to the motorway, cars love motorway journeys. 
Regards 👍

• Like 3

I have the 1.33L in the larger Auris and it is excellent on the motorway in 6th gear. I've often mentioned on here that I would take the 1.33L over the 1.8L in my previous car (the very high performance Corolla TSport) because it it so much more refined at speed. The 1.33L in a Yaris is perfect imo.

• Like 2

We have done a 400 mile round trip to Somerset in our 2015 Yaris 1.33, it was fine on the motorway & managed 56mpg too. 

I've retrofitted cruise control to ours which made the journey even easier 

To echo Mooly's post, we had two Auris 1.33's from new and did several motorway trips - including annual 500 mile trips each way to Skye (300 miles motorway each way) fully loaded with luggage and two of us. No problems at all at motorway plus speeds.

• Like 1

There are many cars that you could choose, Yaris will do the job without trouble. I have even used a Yaris 1.0 around the M25 with no problems. The first thing I would be considering when travelling many miles on Motorways is reliability, breaking down on a motorway is not a pleasant experience and dangerous, plus you are going to stack up the miles so fuel economy and service costs will be important, all of these factors are good in the Yaris and Toyota range so, maybe a larger model if you want a bit more space.

• Like 1

Some folk really do talk out off there ubiks lol 🙂 I love my small Toyotas,  drove my 95 GT turbo starlet 2 years straight in all weathers and it never missed a beat, its resting currently  🙂

was driving a 2001 1.3 Yaris for 3 months there but its cut up now for parts, I've not long bought another 2001 Yaris 1L for a daily and Teaching the Daughter in, motorway driving I'm expecting high 40s mpg.