Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Change

Haitham Mohamed

I have Toyota Avensis 2008 with 1.6 VVT-i engine i do an oil change and i forget to fill the oil filter with oil, i put it dry only i do is put some oil on the oil filter gasket and then i fill the engine with oil and fired it up and the engine has a ticking sound and disappeared, this sound only appear after the oil change

by the way the sound doesn't appear again, it only happened after i changed the oil and started up and just to confirm, i let it sat over night and i started up in the next day in the morning and the engine didn't make any noises, i'm just concerned about that sound that happen after that oil change

Is that normal ?

Hi,

Yes , that is normal if you forgot to fill the filter with oil.

When you started the engine it was starved of oil for a few seconds while the oil pump filled up the empty filter, the noise you often hear is the valve lifters etc ticking / tapping.

It will only happen that once, so nothing to worry about.

You can often hear that kind of tapping noise for a few seconds on start up on a very cold morning when the oil is old and thin.

• Like 1

The OP has done everything correct, and what I did for years. For those with the later Valvematic engine, the cartridge type oil filter is horizontal on the engine. This means you cannot fill with oil, because the oil will just spill out when trying to put back on. Apparently there is a non-return valve, which makes it possible to change the oil filter without draining the engine oil! I have never tried that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links