Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Q: 2versions of 2.5l petrol engine.

mikmikmikmik

What gives the extra 40hp in the other more powerful 2.5l petrol engine, in the hybrid model?

As far as I am aware the AWD model is described as more powerful due to the extra power from the electric motor(s) driving the rear wheels. There is not the more powerful petrol engine that you describe. Didn't think this was as much as 40hp, maybe just the extra 4bhp shown on the latest model. Maybe the latest model is listed as more power due to the different Battery configuration and Mr T likes to combine the ICE and Battery power to give a single figure.

If you do the eBay thing where it ask you to define a car to see if the parts fit, the two options are something like 114KW or 145KW.

It's the same engine in the hybrid, plug in and non hybrid RAV's (we dont get the non hybrid option from Toyota GB).  It's a 178 DINhp engine, the 2WD hybrid is 218hp, 4WD is 222hp and the plug in is 302hp due to the bigger Battery.

Confusingly, Toyota Europe no longer offer the 2.5 ltr engine in non hybrid format, you now get the 2.0 ltr engine out of the Corolla/C-HR hybrid but with an output of 175hp.  In the hybrid it delivers 152hp 🤷‍♂️

In America and Australia you can get the 2.5 ltr engine rated at 204 hp, so there is probably the ability to 'chip' the current hybrid close to 250hp...

Except that the 2.5l engine in a 2018 RAV 4.4 hybrid is not the same 2.5l engine as in a RAV 4,5 ...

The 2018 4.4 hybrid uses model code 2AR-FXE and Toyota quote 197 DIN hp

The 4.5 hybrid uses model code A25A-FXS and Toyota quote 218 DIN hp in 2WD form, and 222 DIN hp in AWD form - the difference being the additional electric motor on the rear axle (as stated above).

Looks to me 114kW is the output of the combustion engine alone. AFAIK the only 2.5L engine on offer in GB was the hybrid 2AR-FXE (4th gen Rav)

How can I tell which engine I have?

image.thumb.png.4e28f30811376d7a81c29f4993d05d2a.png

23 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

How can I tell which engine I have?

image.thumb.png.4e28f30811376d7a81c29f4993d05d2a.png

TBH I thinks its third parties getting confused over technical specs

AVA42 is a 2.5 2ARFXE 2WD 10/2015 - 12/2018 RAV4 Hybrid

AVA44 is a 2.5 2ARFXE 4WD 10/2015 - 12/2018 RAV4 Hybrid

Toyota state the engine output is 114kw and the Total Hybrid system output as 145kw which = 197ps in effect all the listings you show are for the same car but using either just the engine output 114kw or the combined engine/electric output 145kw.

Thank you very much for this answer. It explains it brilliantly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links