Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem with a 1cd-ftv

Juntunen

Car in question is 2003 Avensis T25 with 2 liter D4d 1CD-FTV engine. and it´s giving me a massive headache. Forgive the long read and that i speak english as second language so few terms might be incorrect

First problem was engine oil went bad under 4000km. Took some oil from the dipstick and felt it between fingers it felt gritty. so i took oil pan off and looked how the crank and conrod bearings looked like. And they were like new.

Next i took valvecover off and checked how the injectors look like. Two was fine and other two were stuck and had to use some force to get them out. At that point it was obvious that two bottom washers had failed. But i took them injectors to local diesel shop to had them tested. And two of the were mechanically worn (diesel leaked through thread of the big nut which helds injector together.) I assembled everything back together and changed cambelt and other accessories.

After that took it to testdrive and felt reasonably good at first felt that power was missing but it turned out that i forgot to attach one vacuumhose. After that it felt like it should- Started nice and fast, idle was steady and it pulled nicely. But...

Two days after girlfriend was driving home from work and about 30km after start engine ran away. it let out huge smoke cloud and luckily it shut down when turned ignition off.Right after that it didn't start. Towed it back home and tried to start it. And it fired up like nothing. Went for testdrive and drove about 100 meters and it ran away again with huge bluish smoke cloud. And again shut down when turned ignition off.

That blue smoke smells bitter more like unburnt diesel than oil which is bit "sweeter" smell. So it feels to me that it might be more fuelling problem than mechanical problem. But this seems to be rare problem that everyone who with i have been spoken have never heard that something like this has happened. I have techstream on my laptop and it showed no fault codes.

After the runaway problem occurred i have replaced SCV-valve but it made no difference. Took injectors and injection pump to test and they were fine. Now i have taken egr and intakemanifold off. There is some oily sludge on the walls but i don´t think that this is the problem because i have seen few worse cases and they weren't affected like this.

Oh and last time when i took it to longer test drive was after SCV-valve change. First 5km it was again normal and idled nice and pulled well. But when i pulled over to layby. And  when i tried to take off again it had lost power. It was so breathless that i stalled it atleast 5 times on a level ground. Managed to get it going again it wouldn't go over 60km/h on full throttle.ANd then knocking sound emerged and it ranaway again. This time with huge black smoke cloud. And again it shut down from the key.

Any hints what to do next? Has someone experienced same or similar fault? Any info is appreciated.

Problem is washers went leak diesel fuel into oil pan that was your problem there oil and diesel bad mix not common problem with d4d but is with opel cdti and Hyundai Santa fe unfortunately I can damage engine and causes big blooms white smoke unburn fuel like smell too think u get 4 injectors done full service may be ok engine if not engine bound repairs.cherrs

6 hours ago, Tomm5 said:

Problem is washers went leak diesel fuel into oil pan that was your problem there oil and diesel bad mix not common problem with d4d but is with opel cdti and Hyundai Santa fe unfortunately I can damage engine and causes big blooms white smoke unburn fuel like smell too think u get 4 injectors done full service may be ok engine if not engine bound repairs.cherrs

When i had them injectors tested first time i assebled it with new washers and seals. so t shouldn't be possible that oil and diesel mixes. Also test showed that two injectors are fine no need to replace them but two weren't so fine so i replaced them with new ones.  Forgot to mention this on the first post.

On 10/15/2020 at 7:56 PM, Juntunen said:

Car in question is 2003 Avensis T25 with 2 liter D4d 1CD-FTV engine. and it´s giving me a massive headache. Forgive the long read and that i speak english as second language so few terms might be incorrect

First problem was engine oil went bad under 4000km. Took some oil from the dipstick and felt it between fingers it felt gritty. so i took oil pan off and looked how the crank and conrod bearings looked like. And they were like new.

Next i took valvecover off and checked how the injectors look like. Two was fine and other two were stuck and had to use some force to get them out. At that point it was obvious that two bottom washers had failed. But i took them injectors to local diesel shop to had them tested. And two of the were mechanically worn (diesel leaked through thread of the big nut which helds injector together.) I assembled everything back together and changed cambelt and other accessories.

After that took it to testdrive and felt reasonably good at first felt that power was missing but it turned out that i forgot to attach one vacuumhose. After that it felt like it should- Started nice and fast, idle was steady and it pulled nicely. But...

Two days after girlfriend was driving home from work and about 30km after start engine ran away. it let out huge smoke cloud and luckily it shut down when turned ignition off.Right after that it didn't start. Towed it back home and tried to start it. And it fired up like nothing. Went for testdrive and drove about 100 meters and it ran away again with huge bluish smoke cloud. And again shut down when turned ignition off.

That blue smoke smells bitter more like unburnt diesel than oil which is bit "sweeter" smell. So it feels to me that it might be more fuelling problem than mechanical problem. But this seems to be rare problem that everyone who with i have been spoken have never heard that something like this has happened. I have techstream on my laptop and it showed no fault codes.

After the runaway problem occurred i have replaced SCV-valve but it made no difference. Took injectors and injection pump to test and they were fine. Now i have taken egr and intakemanifold off. There is some oily sludge on the walls but i don´t think that this is the problem because i have seen few worse cases and they weren't affected like this.

Oh and last time when i took it to longer test drive was after SCV-valve change. First 5km it was again normal and idled nice and pulled well. But when i pulled over to layby. And  when i tried to take off again it had lost power. It was so breathless that i stalled it atleast 5 times on a level ground. Managed to get it going again it wouldn't go over 60km/h on full throttle.ANd then knocking sound emerged and it ranaway again. This time with huge black smoke cloud. And again it shut down from the key.

Any hints what to do next? Has someone experienced same or similar fault? Any info is appreciated.

quick question how many miles are on your engine my friend 

4 hours ago, 2009joe said:

quick question how many miles are on your engine my friend 

250 000 km

• 2 years later...

it's not that much miles, but maybe you did something wrong with it, EGR valve could be , did you find the problem or you get rid of the car ?