Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2013 Yaris hybrid T spirit - keyless entry?

corpjones

Hi all

We've just put down a deposit (after test driving) on a 2013 Yaris hybrid in T spirit trim at a Toyota dealer, it's a lovely car however just need clarification on something.

Is the keyless system safe on this car? I asked the dealer to disable the feature (another dealer has done this for me before) but salesperson advised it's only keyless start and not keyless entry so it's not a issue on this car, does that sound correct?

If it's not keyless entry then I guess no one can get into car to start it so I'm not as worried, just sounded strange to me that it had keyless start but not keyless entry, i.e. you have to press button on fob to open door and not just touch handle 🙂

Did you check to see if it is keyless entry?
Our t spirit didn’t, just keyless start.

With my old car that keyless entry, I kept the key in an altoids tin. That reduced the range and would only when you were stood up close. The reduced range would make it harder for boost the signal for someone to try and gain access to the or drive off with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope didn't get a chance to test and had to take his word for it, they had closed and car was taken away so had to take his word on it, we will be collecting the car tomorrow..

I have a 2016 Yaris Hybrid with keyless entry and keyless start. I can't guarantee for that, but as far as I know, keyless entry models have different door handles. 
If you look at the door handle of the right front door, it has a long part which moves out when you pull the handle and a short part which stays in place, it basically houses the mechanical lock cylinder. If you look at the end of the movable part of the handle which points towards the front of the car, you may see three horizontal lines engraved in the surface of the handle. They are about one inch long, and all three are parallel and in one row, so you basically have three lines like this = (sorry, cannot explain better). These three lines indicate the location of the finger touch sensor. So if your car has keyless entry and you have the key fob in your pocket, then you simply touch the handle with your finger on the spot with the three lines, and the car locks itself. If you pull the handle, the car unlocks itself. Please note that the system needs a 3 second break between locking and unlocking the car. It is my understanding that cars without keyless entry have door handles with a plain surface, without these three engraved lines. 
My Yaris also has a switch at the rear hatch for locking and unlocking the car: The button for unlocking the car is shaped like a rectangle and feels like rubber. The button for locking the car is smaller, it is round and it is located at the right side of the unlock button. I assume that cars without keyless entry do not have the small round button. Maybe they have an entirely different handle for opening the hatch. 
My personal opinion about keyless entry is: awesome! It works pretty sensitive. It will only unlock the car when the key fob is located closer than 3 feet to the handle. So, just imagine that you are standing at the right side of your car with the key fob in your pocket, and somebody approaches your car from the left side and pulls a handle: No chance! The car is only unlocked when the key is near the handle you are using. The system also detects if your key is inside or outside the car. You cannot lock the car if one key is inside the car. The car will alert you with a signal beep. 
I am not sure if it is easy to disable the keyless entry. My car (2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Style Selection - German model) folds away its rear mirrors as soon as the car is locked. I was thinking about disabling this, because in 9 out of 10 occasions my car is in a garage where folding the mirrors is not necessary. So I wanted to avoid wear and tear in the mirror folding mechanism - but the onboard computer does not offer this option - even for the Toyota dealer with special software. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sampleman said:

I have a 2016 Yaris Hybrid with keyless entry and keyless start. I can't guarantee for that, but as far as I know, keyless entry models have different door handles. 
If you look at the door handle of the right front door, it has a long part which moves out when you pull the handle and a short part which stays in place, it basically houses the mechanical lock cylinder. If you look at the end of the movable part of the handle which points towards the front of the car, you may see three horizontal lines engraved in the surface of the handle. They are about one inch long, and all three are parallel and in one row, so you basically have three lines like this = (sorry, cannot explain better). These three lines indicate the location of the finger touch sensor. So if your car has keyless entry and you have the key fob in your pocket, then you simply touch the handle with your finger on the spot with the three lines, and the car locks itself. If you pull the handle, the car unlocks itself. Please note that the system needs a 3 second break between locking and unlocking the car. It is my understanding that cars without keyless entry have door handles with a plain surface, without these three engraved lines. 
My Yaris also has a switch at the rear hatch for locking and unlocking the car: The button for unlocking the car is shaped like a rectangle and feels like rubber. The button for locking the car is smaller, it is round and it is located at the right side of the unlock button. I assume that cars without keyless entry do not have the small round button. Maybe they have an entirely different handle for opening the hatch. 
My personal opinion about keyless entry is: awesome! It works pretty sensitive. It will only unlock the car when the key fob is located closer than 3 feet to the handle. So, just imagine that you are standing at the right side of your car with the key fob in your pocket, and somebody approaches your car from the left side and pulls a handle: No chance! The car is only unlocked when the key is near the handle you are using. The system also detects if your key is inside or outside the car. You cannot lock the car if one key is inside the car. The car will alert you with a signal beep. 
I am not sure if it is easy to disable the keyless entry. My car (2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Style Selection - German model) folds away its rear mirrors as soon as the car is locked. I was thinking about disabling this, because in 9 out of 10 occasions my car is in a garage where folding the mirrors is not necessary. So I wanted to avoid wear and tear in the mirror folding mechanism - but the onboard computer does not offer this option - even for the Toyota dealer with special software. 

Thank you, I'll have a look to see if the car has this 🙂

e8b010b6829d5c2b9169289de2927821.jpg

Oops, I made a mistake: The keyless entry sensor has only two lines, not three.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links