Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 or 2.0 corolla

barrycoll

Is the HV Battery bigger on the 2.0, and is Regen stronger when braking....is one pedal operation possible as in some EVs.

the 2.0 is attractive and with a careful right foot, maybe mpg does not suffer too much, but proper grunt available when needed.

does the corolla have the HUD as per my 2017 Prius?

anybodies thoughts on big or small engine??????

The 2.0 has a bigger capacity Battery, but its not Lithium Ion like the 1.8. so you're not comparing like for like.

For this and a whole load of other data, you can't beat the Toyota Media website:

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1599057321200312MCorollatechspecWLTP.pdf

Neither car offers more than gentle deceleration when you lift your foot off. If you want the acceleration of the 2.0 you'll probably want the deceleration that only the second pedal will give! 

• Like 2

As a 2 ltr owner who is not a boy racer, but is happy to pull away onto roundabouts safely, but not waiting half an hour until there is nothing in sight, and likes to be away smartly from the lights, you won't get the same economy from the 2 ltr as you get from the 1.8ltr. Probably about 12 mpg less on average would be fair, reading what other 1.8 ltr owners achieve which I find impressive.

If you get the 2 ltr and worry about not achieving what 1.8 ltrs owners are getting MPG wise, you bought the wrong engine. 

Try and match 1,8 owners figures, you won't enjoy the drive, stressing about it.   My advice is decide what is most important. Getting 48 to 56 mpg typically or 58 to 68 typically.  

Don't get me wrong, the 2 ltr is cutting edge technology, Toyota have maximised the balance of power and economy with this new engine. But compare with other 2ltr cars, that is where you see the comparison. I get at least 20mpg more with the 2 ltr Hybrid, compared to my last 2ltr non hybrid. That's impressive.

Re HUD, the GR has it. I don't know if Toyota extended HUD to other models yet. I have the Excel 2019, no HUD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just because you have a choice of engines doesn't mean that the smaller one is 'weak'. The 1.8 produces 120bhp and if you allow the electric motor to help out it adds some serious torque which can be useful at low speed.

But the 1.8 has plenty of power for normal driving. I rarely let the Battery help out when accelerating because the car is quite capable of keeping up with traffic without wasting recovered energy. I also rarely use the brake pedal other than for actually coming to a stop.

Maybe that's why last winter when I was commuting it never dropped much below 60mpg measured pump to pump. During this summer (not commuting) it was sitting in the high 60s and once over 70mpg. At the moment (no commuting, yay!) it's still sitting around mid 60s.

A little anticipation and acceleration sense is cheaper and safer than just mashing the pedals 😉

• Like 1

I bought the 1.8 because I have a relaxed driving style and felt I’d get more satisfaction from maximising economy.  I even went for the Icon Tech specifically because I wanted the 16” alloys as they are more efficient than the larger options.  This is my preference.

I think that if you sometimes wish your Prius had more power then you should test drive the Corolla 2.0 and try out a full throttle slip road merge and a fast overtake on a motorway.  That’s where you’re going to see the benefit of the 2.0 over the 1.8.

• Like 4

I have the 2.0 , as a company car swap after a 2l diesel, an extremely frugal V40.

I haven't done any of my usual 200 mile plus runs with covid, however I'm getting above 50 on punishing short run, traffic laden journeys .

So far it is beating my much loved V40 diesel on economy hands down for regular town driving.

Obviously it won't get the regular 67 to 70 on long straight runs.

It's going to be down to driving style, but I love the effortless driving of the 2 litre

• Like 3

Good replies here👍 1.8 best for efficiency where 2.0 better performance and depending which of these two you’re prioritise more. I personally will enjoy driving 2.0 more but almost certainly will get the 1.8 as I am a high miller plus 1.8 gives me one more option, Saloon Corolla. 👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

1.8 gives me one more option, Saloon Corolla. 👍

That is made in Turkey. I prefer the ones (hatcback - TS) that are made in UK.

1 hour ago, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

That is made in Turkey. I prefer the ones (hatcback - TS) that are made in UK.

It doesn’t matter it’s made in Turkey it’s made by Toyota, if you think the U.K. one are better made think twice, there are already guys with issues from brand new U.K. factory production. The only issue in England with the saloon is that they are not as well equipped as eu or Irish variety, but I can always buy from Ireland. Irish top ranger are as good as Mercedes or Audi inside. 
https://www.toyota.ie/models/corolla-saloon/build?path=customize/65bfd91d-f2a8-4cbb-bdbc-3834b400492a/59734b8e-3788-4ff7-84bf-88795e84bb1c&c=a7c5cf0a-e472-4919-9510-8c37aaa6a39a&u=997e7d0f-18a5-4e81-b7c3-e1e91a120bd9&w=17235&financeOption=cash

• Like 2

I not keen on the looks of the Corolla hatch, the saloon looks nice, as does the estate, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so that’s my opinion. Go for it Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

I not keen on the looks of the Corolla hatch, the saloon looks nice, as does the estate, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so that’s my opinion. Go for it Tony.

Thanks , I will at some time in the future. 👍 I like the hatch too, for me is the best looking new hatchback on the market but the interior space on the rear seats is a joke., and the black lining makes it claustrophobic. Small boot can live with, seats down and you can carry on, however limited head room and leg room can be a real pain. 

• Like 1

I really dislike black lining. Few years ago I was looking to purchase a BMW 320d. First one I looked at was an estate car with black lining. I really did feel I was sat in a coffin (how I knew that I don’t know, I never sat in a coffin!). Put me right off.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Test drive both if you can but drive the 1.8 litre first. Why? Because I tried the 2.0 litre first and was totally blown away with it's effortless power and very quiet engine. The 1.8 litre just felt flat on accelaration and a very revvy engine on hill climbs. It just didn't rock my boat. My 2.0 litre was returning good mid 60's mpg in the warm summer weather. Cooler weather is still returning 52 to 55 mpg. The worst has beeni 46 mpg in a very cold spell of weather. It seems mpg is very ambient temperature dependant with hybrids  Even more so with a full electric vehicle I would suggest. (batteries love heat to work well). I have done 3500 miles so far and don't stretch the engine at all. A light right foot is all you need to get the 2.0 litre moving briskly..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigblock said:

Test drive both if you can but drive the 1.8 litre first. Why? Because I tried the 2.0 litre first and was totally blown away with it's effortless power and very quiet engine. The 1.8 litre just felt flat on accelaration and a very revvy engine on hill climbs. It just didn't rock my boat. My 2.0 litre was returning good mid 60's mpg in the warm summer weather. Cooler weather is still returning 52 to 55 mpg. The worst has beeni 46 mpg in a very cold spell of weather. It seems mpg is very ambient temperature dependant with hybrids  Even more so with a full electric vehicle I would suggest. (batteries love heat to work well). I have done 3500 miles so far and don't stretch the engine at all. A light right foot is all you need to get the 2.0 litre moving briskly..

Absolutely! Same here with my 2l excel ts.

This may or may not be a factor in your decision, but probably the main reason I went for the 1.8l is that the Carbon Monoxide emissions of the 2.0l are significantly higher.  I know you can't put full faith in Which's emissions tests where the 2.0l engine was flagged up as having high CO emissions, but a look at the engine specs published by Toyota show CO (mg/km) of 104.8 for the 1.8l and 188.2 for the 2.0l.

I've not really had much opportunity to test the car out on the motorway in the current circumstances and may come to regret my decision but it has been fine for city driving.  Pulls away at roundabouts fine for me.

Most of my driving is in the city and even though the 2.0L meets ULEZ requirements I would have been uncomfortable purchasing it as air quality is poor in London and I don't want to add to the problem unnecessarily (I recognise it is a drop in the ocean though).  I may have gone for a diesel if I didn't have concerns about DPFs not regenerating properly with the amount of miles I do.

Edit:  Talking about TS here.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, TonyHSD said:

Good replies here👍 1.8 best for efficiency where 2.0 better performance and depending which of these two you’re prioritise more. I personally will enjoy driving 2.0 more but almost certainly will get the 1.8 as I am a high miller plus 1.8 gives me one more option, Saloon Corolla. 👍

Only thing I've noticed as being a bit weak is climbing up a steep dual carriageway near me (M40 J11). My previous car was a Honda Jazz which only has 107bhp. Flooring the accelerator would get the car to just shy of 100 mph by the time I was two thirds of the way to the top and it pretty much just accelerated until it ran out of gear ratios (it was also CVT). By contrast the 1.8 Corolla barely gets to 90 mph before the top and is clearly running out of puff once it gets to 80 mph.

But the Corolla has more get up and go at low speed if you engage the Battery. That's even allowing for knowing how to bump the Jazz out of Atkinson mode at low RPMs.

Since I rarely go above 60 mph even on motorways and only occasionally feel like being silly with that stretch of the A422 it doesn't matter. The Corolla 1.8 has enough power to climb that hill in the outside lane normally without holding people up.

• Like 2

The trick with the 1.8 when accelerating uphill is to floor it flat out for a moment and than release a bit and rpm settles better, the car has gained already a good speed and can carry on the hill, if you go with moderate power, you may just see and hear the engine whining and no speed or acceleration, like a dead underpowered car, but it’s not., there is enough punch if Battery is half and above. 👍 This is for the gen 3 power train but I think will be same for yours too. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The trick with the 1.8 when accelerating uphill is to floor it flat out for a moment and than release a bit and rpm settles better, the car has gained already a good speed and can carry on the hill, if you go with moderate power, you may just see and hear the engine whining and no speed or acceleration, like a dead underpowered car, but it’s not., there is enough punch if battery is half and above. 👍 This is for the gen 3 power train but I think will be same for yours too. 

This is exactly what I didn't like about the 1.8 on my test drive. With the 2.0 you don't have to think about a hill coming up. It just glides up it without having to 'floor it'. Plus you hardly hear the engine as it climbs because of the massive power reserve on tap. I had years of this with my Auris 1.8 hybrid needing to be coaxed ready for a long drag uphill. This is why I personally went for a 2.0 corolla. It wasn't for the speed. It was for the power reserve for effortless driving performance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bigblock said:

This is exactly what I didn't like about the 1.8 on my test drive. With the 2.0 you don't have to think about a hill coming up. It just glides up it without having to 'floor it'. Plus you hardly hear the engine as it climbs because of the massive power reserve on tap. I had years of this with my Auris 1.8 hybrid needing to be coaxed ready for a long drag uphill. This is why I personally went for a 2.0 corolla. It wasn't for the speed. It was for the power reserve for effortless driving performance.

One of my colleagues has recently gotten the 1.8 C-HR, and reports the hills are....'intersting'..😉

5 hours ago, bigblock said:

That’s make sense for sure, when my time for Corolla comes I will rent from somewhere 1.8 for a week, then 2.0 for another week, will put on both 1000 miles each and will compare carefully the behaviour and fuel efficiency, I do mostly motorway miles and if the fuel efficiency difference is not huge the 2.0l might be a better choice, but again I will need an extended test drive to see as economy is a major factor for me with my annual mileage. 👍

• Like 1

It's the only hill around here where it's an issue and even then only if I'm being silly. If I lived somewhere hilly the 2.0 might be more comfortable but around the south midlands the 1.8 is fine.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, Catlover said:

I really dislike black lining. Few years ago I was looking to purchase a BMW 320d. First one I looked at was an estate car with black lining. I really did feel I was sat in a coffin (how I knew that I don’t know, I never sat in a coffin!). Put me right off.

Yes, I agree. In the USA they have much brighter interior. My old car had black leather but the pillars and roof lining was off white, looked smart.

It is one reason why I got the Panny roof, the car can be really bright in summer with the whole roof exposed, makes a massive difference, so you don't really notice the black so much. Now I am used to the black anyway, so it does not worry me at all. At least it won't show every mark, except the piano black scratchy plastic of course!

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

It's the only hill around here where it's an issue and even then only if I'm being silly. If I lived somewhere hilly the 2.0 might be more comfortable but around the south midlands the 1.8 is fine.

Yes I agree. When I go to Devon, I really appreciate the 2 ltr, there are some good hills around East Devon, and the Corolla laughs at them. Not so much as the SAAB turbo did, but it's still an effortless drive. In Northants, it's just the A422 up from Banbury that the Corolla loves to zoom up, and some places around Daventry!

On 10/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, TonyHSD said:

It doesn’t matter it’s made in Turkey it’s made by Toyota, if you think the U.K. one are better made think twice, there are already guys with issues from brand new U.K. factory production. The only issue in England with the saloon is that they are not as well equipped as eu or Irish variety, but I can always buy from Ireland. Irish top ranger are as good as Mercedes or Audi inside. 
https://www.toyota.ie/models/corolla-saloon/build?path=customize/65bfd91d-f2a8-4cbb-bdbc-3834b400492a/59734b8e-3788-4ff7-84bf-88795e84bb1c&c=a7c5cf0a-e472-4919-9510-8c37aaa6a39a&u=997e7d0f-18a5-4e81-b7c3-e1e91a120bd9&w=17235&financeOption=cash

Yes, I love the look of the saloon. It was not launched when I bought my new car. If I had a family, I would have bought the TS. Although really an Estate, it does not look like a "reps" car in my opinion. My last Estate was a Ford Sierra "Laser", and that looked like a reps car and was! Times change, Reps drive BMW's now, so I think of BMW's as reps cars.

As a singleton, the hatch back is ideal for me, and although classed as a family car, it is not really in my opinion, for the reasons stated. You don't want to be in the rear of the car for too long!

But a major reason I came to Toyota was the "Built in Britain" thing. Having had a poor sales experience at Mercedes, I came to Toyota, the sales experience was totally different, they made me feel valued, and with everything going on in this country, I was proud to support our workers. That was important to me, personally, and a motivation to buy. Since the Germans didn't want my money anyway!

If the saloon was built here, it would be a serious contender for my next car for looks alone, but a pity there is no 2ltr option yet, and as you say, it is defeatured.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Timmon said:

Yes I agree. When I go to Devon, I really appreciate the 2 ltr, there are some good hills around East Devon, and the Corolla laughs at them. Not so much as the SAAB turbo did, but it's still an effortless drive. In Northants, it's just the A422 up from Banbury that the Corolla loves to zoom up, and some places around Daventry!

I have to admit that taking the 1.8 up Telegraph hill just outside Exeter wouldn't be ideal. I used to cycle up there with my mates in the late 70s. Mind you you'd get a nice Battery charge coming back down 🙂

• Haha 1