Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 or 2.0 corolla

barrycoll

55 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

For me, having had turbo cars in recent years, the performance of the 1.8 is just about acceptable

That's wisdom creeping up on you 😉

• Like 1

Just don’t like the fact that the ts makes you look like an Uber driver

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

Just don’t like the fact that the ts makes you look like an Uber driver

I really wanted a white one - but the thought of collecting my wife from a train station or outside a bar on a Saturday night filled me with dread with the amount of strangers wanting a ride 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

in years to come used Touring Sports will be in demand by the taxi fraternity so prices should hold up well, maybe not the hatchback with its limited rear space. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I really wanted a white one - but the thought of collecting my wife from a train station or outside a bar on a Saturday night filled me with dread with the amount of strangers wanting a ride 

Years ago I owned a white Citroen BX diesel. I was once sat in the car, the middle of nowhere, in a farmyard gateway, checking a map with the engine idling. Suddenly the farmhouse door opened and two elderly fellas rushed out, trotted up to my car and jumped in the back. They were clearly rather surprised to find a child seat in the middle, but not as surprised as I was. We looked at each other for a few seconds until one of them said 'This isn't the taxi we just phoned for is it?' 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Years ago I owned a white Citroen BX diesel. I was once sat in the car, the middle of nowhere, in a farmyard gateway, checking a map with the engine idling. Suddenly the farmhouse door opened and two elderly fellas rushed out, trotted up to my car and jumped in the back. They were clearly rather surprised to find a child seat in the middle, but not as surprised as I was. We looked at each other for a few seconds until one of them said 'This isn't the taxi we just phoned for is it?' 

Hahah, I have that sort of experience every month 🤣👍 my Toyota is white but it’s not a Prius not an estate but everyone says look and sound like Prius, that’s it, colour does not matter. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did test drive both 1.8 and 2L today and I think 1.8 is absolutely perfect for the UK's motorways (70mph speed limit and my driving style too) My current car is 1.6 diesel Honda Civic which isn't fast, neither quiet, but still good enough for the size and engine. The 1.8 Corolla feels as fast as the Civic - or at least very close, which makes me think it all depends on what you've been driving so far.

The 2L wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't "wow" for me, so I did order the 1.8 which is cheaper, with better fuel economy, cheaper insurance, already known super reliable engine...

I was a bit worried if it will be noisy when revving on acceleration, but coming from a diesel the Corolla is actually quieter.

Hope I get approved for the finance(they will let me know next week😭😭😭), then will be long waiting - current waiting time for a new one is 6 to 9 months. My new baby😀

• Like 5

6-9 months, is that for a hatchback? 

I’ve just ordered a TS and it’s expected end March/early April which ties in with the 16 week estimate on the configurator. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StreetHawk said:

6-9 months, is that for a hatchback? 

I’ve just ordered a TS and it’s expected end March/early April which ties in with the 16 week estimate on the configurator. 

Ordered TS too - 1.8 icon tech. The salesman said waiting time of 6 to 9 months at the moment, but on the paperwork estimate time is 1st of June. Hope it is earlier. 

• Like 1

I have the 2.0 TS and have done about 3000 miles since I picked it up in October.

The 2.0 makes pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts an effortless experience. Getting up to motorway speeds is easy and hillclimbing never a problem although the engine does drone a bit when sat at over 3000rpm for a long drag.

Its also makes a good overtaking device.

Economy wise I'm currently getting about 53 mpg in mixed driving on E10 (not much city work though) and cruising at 70 on the motorway in ECO mode.

I'm very happy with it.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, AndrueC said:

Would look even better with chrome door handles like mine 😄

Image?

25 minutes ago, 2badmice said:

Image?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CgtiNXSok1GPb1Xg6

I got the last pair off Amazon at the time. Self adhesive. They are back in stock now, but way more pricey:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K5XYLD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only drawback is that for keyless entry you have to poke your finger through the hole to lock the car rather than just knock your hand against it. No great hardship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozz said:

I have the 2.0 TS and have done about 3000 miles since I picked it up in October.

The 2.0 makes pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts an effortless experience. Getting up to motorway speeds is easy and hillclimbing never a problem although the engine does drone a bit when sat at over 3000rpm for a long drag.

Its also makes a good overtaking device.

Economy wise I'm currently getting about 53 mpg in mixed driving on E10 (not much city work though) and cruising at 70 on the motorway in ECO mode.

I'm very happy with it.

Yes indeed. The 2.0 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It will certainly perform when the pedal hits the metal. I too am more than happy with mine. Average is 56.4 over 8200 miles so far in mixed driving.

• Like 4

On 1/1/2022 at 11:34 AM, AndrueC said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CgtiNXSok1GPb1Xg6

I got the last pair off Amazon at the time. Self adhesive. They are back in stock now, but way more pricey:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K5XYLD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only drawback is that for keyless entry you have to poke your finger through the hole to lock the car rather than just knock your hand against it. No great hardship.

They don't look as bad as I'd initially imagined when I saw your comment, goes with the rest of the chrome.   I don't think they'd have the same affect on mine, as I have a silver Corolla and I don't have keyless entry.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, bigblock said:

Yes indeed. The 2.0 is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It will certainly perform when the pedal hits the metal. I too am more than happy with mine. Average is 56.4 over 8200 miles so far in mixed driving.

Interesting.  I haven't reset my consumption track since March but the mpg figure continues to drop from about 62.1 and has reached 60.5.  My Toyota shows the last month was 57.3.

Occurs to me that the switch to E10 fuel was determined as September when we expect consumption to rise and we assume it is the weather. P

Roy, its not an assumpion the weather affects mpg, the cooler the weather the less mpg. It happens every year with hybrids. We have two hybrids and they both dip in the winter but once above 10 deg C it all starts comingback again. So no assumption.  I cannot say whether E10 is adding to the drop, probably so, but we are not using E10  Yesterday I was at Costco and put E5 in at 146.9/litre, which was just couple pence more then the local BP E10 price.

A report during the week said petrol stations are not passing the drop in fuel prices. They averaged a drop of 4p per litre when it should have been up to 12p per litre. Rip  off Britain again.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Roy, its not an assumpion the weather affects mpg, the cooler the weather the less mpg. It happens every year with hybrids.

It happens every year with all cars, IMO.

• Like 3

Yeah they were quite sneaky by scheduling the E10 switchover right around the time of year mpg starts dropping, so it'd be harder to know what to blame it on!

I'm slightly tempted to try some of that E0 Esso stuff to see if it makes a noticeable improvement, but I don't know how long the hybrid engines take to optimize themselves for different fuels... It seemed to take a while in the Mk1 and Mk2

• Like 1

Cyker, you will never know until you try.You can do it one of tw ways. Either top up with E0 as you go along then its gradual, orwait till your tank is very then fill up with E0.

New to Toyota after having owned a 2.5lit Impreza wrx-s for the past 13 years and a couple of others before that this car has been a joy but she is getting tired and the tax is horrendous every year. Just ordered a Corolla 2.0 GR Sport after testing that and a C-HR, wasn't expecting much to be honest but the car put a smile on my face, performance was very good and the mpg after a 40 minute drive was amazing. Didn't try the 1.8 we were sold on the 2.0 straight away......Really looking forward to getting the car hopefully March/April

• Like 2

I've always admired Subarus but also always been put off by the maintenance and running costs!

It's great that the hybrids have finally evolved to the point where they are genuinely engaging to drive now.

It's nice being able to go for a hoon without having to visit a petrol station right after :laugh: 

Catlover, what I meant was not an assumption that weather affected  consumption, but that poor consumption due to E10 fuel was assumed to be due to weather. 

A different assumption, political slight of hand. 

Esso E0 99 was my fuel of choice for two weeks during the “petrol crisis”, the only available fuel that I discovered and was willing to queue for 30-40 min at a time 😅, no difference in performance or consumption in comparison with Tesco E5 99 , the engine doesn’t need to much time to adjust to the different fuel, it’s happening immediately after the first drop has burn inside. The difference between 1.8 and 2.0 will always shows margins where the time in ev drive is less than time in engine drive, in some scenarios both variants will be close, but in many other times the 1.8 will do obviously better fuel consumption. Private use up to 20k miles a year the 2.0 is perfect choice but for company car, trade use or crazy high mileage drive the 1.8 is the way to go imo.👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It happens every year with all cars, IMO.

It seemed to be more dramatic to me but that might be the consequence of being more economical in the first place. I never calculated the drop for my Jazz as a %ge so don't know. Since working from home the drop appears to be a lot less. My guess is that it's because if the weather is really poor I just don't use car and I don't drive it in the dark much either.

• Like 1