Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 or 2.0 corolla

barrycoll

It definitely affects hybrids more because they need to keep the engine running for the heater plus batteries don't work as well when cold.

• Like 3

On 12/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hahah, I have that sort of experience every month 🤣👍 my Toyota is white but it’s not a Prius not an estate but everyone says look and sound like Prius, that’s it, colour does not matter. 

If not white, all silver hatch look the same. Dropped some stuff of for charity.  Left mother in law in car and wife off elsewhere. 

Got back, opened the door and saw MiL was not there but she had left some Christmas cards on front seat.  Odd. Didn't remember red cards. Penny dropped and saw a gear lever. 

If was an old Ford Focus. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I never calculated the drop for my Jazz as a %ge so don't know.

On my 208, fuel economy dropped by 16% from beginning of October until mid December, that's what showed up on spritmonitor.de, OTOH, it's only this year's data, but I haven't been affected by change to E10, because that's what I have nearly always used in that car. A couple of occasions, three maybe, I used E5(95) or E5(98).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

If not white, all silver hatch look the same. Dropped some stuff of for charity.  Left mother in law in car and wife off elsewhere. 

Got back, opened the door and saw MiL was not there but she had left some Christmas cards on front seat.  Odd. Didn't remember red cards. Penny dropped and saw a gear lever. 

If was an old Ford Focus. 

What a pity it wasn't her who made the mistake and got whisked off out of sight 😄

I have just traded a Focus ST3 diesel (stage 1 tuned) for the Corolla 2ltr hybrid. The focus was great for 3rd gear overtaking but I found I was stuck behind the next Honda Jazz all too quickly. The corolla is a calmer and more comfortable drive but still has a bit if needed. Only had it 3 weeks but returning 56mpg average but with super unleaded it has gone up a little with as much as 61.4 mpg on one journey. Not sure that the increase is worth the extra 16p a litre to be honest. Next I am going to try some additive in the E10 to see if the claims are actually anywhere accurate.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Popalulu said:

I have just traded a Focus ST3 diesel (stage 1 tuned) for the Corolla 2ltr hybrid. The focus was great for 3rd gear overtaking but I found I was stuck behind the next Honda Jazz all too quickly. The corolla is a calmer and more comfortable drive but still has a bit if needed. Only had it 3 weeks but returning 56mpg average but with super unleaded it has gone up a little with as much as 61.4 mpg on one journey. Not sure that the increase is worth the extra 16p a litre to be honest. Next I am going to try some additive in the E10 to see if the claims are actually anywhere accurate.

Tesco momentum E5 is similar price to E10 from other garages, I only drive on that fuel since last September and the engine is running smoother and quieter, more responsive too👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Popalulu said:

Wait till summer - you will be seeing 60+mpg more often

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

Wait till summer - you will be seeing 60+mpg more often

I do hope so. A tour round the Welsh Snowdonia mountains is scheduled for late spring 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Popalulu said:

I do hope so. A tour round the Welsh Snowdonia mountains is scheduled for late spring 🙂

You will enjoy that, it’s a lovely area, lots to see and do, Porthmadog, Harlech, Blaenau Ffestiniog (steam railway from Porthmadog), Llanberis (train to top of Snowdon), Caernarfon, Llandudno.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Tesco momentum E5 is similar price to E10 from other garages, I only drive on that fuel since last September and the engine is running smoother and quieter, more responsive too👍

I’ve found she’ll e10 to give better mpg than Tesco e5

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cyker said:

I've always admired Subarus but also always been put off by the maintenance and running costs!

It's great that the hybrids have finally evolved to the point where they are genuinely engaging to drive now.

It's nice being able to go for a hoon without having to visit a petrol station right after :laugh: 

I can honestly say that for 13 years from new this car has only really cost me fuel and road/emissions tax she is still on her original front discs, I work in the trade been with Bmw for 25 years and Ford for 10 years prior to that and If you look after a car they can serve you well. I have not been a fan of Electric /Hybrid cars and have seen the hybrids as a big tax fiddle(plug ins) but I was very impressed with the car I tested and having not been a fan of cvt transmissions in early Mini's I wasn't expecting to be buying a Corolla especially having to also get Mrs Stig to buy into it but again she was really impressed and she will drive it daily as I commute under pedal power.🤣

• Like 4

On 1/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Bozz said:

I have the 2.0 TS and have done about 3000 miles since I picked it up in October.

The 2.0 makes pulling away from traffic lights and roundabouts an effortless experience. Getting up to motorway speeds is easy and hillclimbing never a problem although the engine does drone a bit when sat at over 3000rpm for a long drag.

Its also makes a good overtaking device.

Economy wise I'm currently getting about 53 mpg in mixed driving on E10 (not much city work though) and cruising at 70 on the motorway in ECO mode.

I'm very happy with it.

Do you run yours in Eco or normal mode? Only had mine a couple of weeks but loving the smooth ride. Finding Eco mode is the most economical but sluggish acceleration if staying within eco grid. Certainly feel the difference if in sport! Bought a bottle of Lucas ethanol additive to see if I can get the E10 near the same MPG as super unleaded (E5) as my first tankful was E10 ave 53 but with super its around 58 and as much as 61.4 on one trip!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Popalulu said:

Bought a bottle of Lucas ethanol additive to see if I can get the E10 near the same MPG as super unleaded (E5) as my first tankful was E10 ave 53 but with super its around 58 and as much as 61.4 on one trip!

Do you take into account the additive cost or volume when calculating the E10 MPG ?
Because if you add standard E10 to the tank and do not include it in your MPG you will get better MPG with the same tank.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Popama said:

Do you take into account the additive cost or volume when calculating the E10 MPG ?
Because if you add standard E10 to the tank and do not include it in your MPG you will get better MPG with the same tank.

I will take the cost and volume but it is very small. One £9.50 bottle treats 80 galls (363 litres) so 2.62p per litre. I'm not expecting much difference but will be interesting to see if it is noticeable.

Better fill up with E5 99 instead of E10 95 and adding additives if you are worried about higher ethanol content or engine performance and fuel consumption, the lower alcohol in the fuel is better for the engine long term. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Catlover said:

You will enjoy that, it’s a lovely area, lots to see and do, Porthmadog, Harlech, Blaenau Ffestiniog (steam railway from Porthmadog), Llanberis (train to top of Snowdon), Caernarfon, Llandudno.

Already done those (a couple of times up Snowdon) Also explored some of the abandoned slate mines and several beaches and coves. Anglesey is another must visit with so many places to visit. I think we have spent 5 weeks there over the last 3 years (fitted a week in at the Lake District too). 

On 1/8/2022 at 6:13 PM, Popalulu said:

I've heard from several reputable mechanics, that additives are just snake oil and not worth the money versus over time.  It's also featured in one of Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2badmice said:

I've heard from several reputable mechanics, that additives are just snake oil and not worth the money versus over time.  It's also featured in one of Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos.

Not all additives are snake oils, some are really good and work as remedies, medicines for your car., even reputable garages including main dealers are using them. I do drive a lot and also I do maintain my car plus I like cars and do experiments and tests myself and this is how I come to that conclusion. With the good additives if there is no change after been used either there was no need of them or they had not been used correctly. Basically to start using additives your car has to travel a bit, perhaps 50-60k miles at least or 5 years old, before that no additives would be necessary, just simple use of quality fuels and maintenance on time 👌👍

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, Popalulu said:

Do you run yours in Eco or normal mode? Only had mine a couple of weeks but loving the smooth ride. Finding Eco mode is the most economical but sluggish acceleration if staying within eco grid. Certainly feel the difference if in sport! Bought a bottle of Lucas ethanol additive to see if I can get the E10 near the same MPG as super unleaded (E5) as my first tankful was E10 ave 53 but with super its around 58 and as much as 61.4 on one trip!

I use ECO mode most of the time except when needing the extra response say for overtaking. I run on E10 all the time as I'm too mean to use Premium E5. Never tried additives tbh.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2badmice said:

Only £9.50 for a bottle so no great loss. I know it will help reduce corrosion on internal components although modern engines are supposed to be ok with E10. Also helps to keep the fuel fresher for longer (again I don't think even if the same fuel was in there for 2 months that isn't long enough for it to deteriorate too much. (I will be adding a bit to my fuel tins of E5 super I have in the shed for lawnmowers and such as they will be stored 6 months or more)) Will suck it and see. First dose is in the tank on last refill on Friday but not been anywhere yet 🙂

Ordered a 2.0 on Saturday after a positively horrific 6 months of a MY21 Skoda Octavia VRS trying to kill me every 5 minutes. Luckily that has held value and won't be any worse off from owning it, but wish i'd just gone with the Corolla to begin with. Looking forward to not being able to hear the fuel slurp on drives through the city centre 😅

2 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Ordered a 2.0 on Saturday after a positively horrific 6 months of a MY21 Skoda Octavia VRS trying to kill me every 5 minutes. Luckily that has held value and won't be any worse off from owning it, but wish i'd just gone with the Corolla to begin with. Looking forward to not being able to hear the fuel slurp on drives through the city centre 😅

Welcome to Toyota cars and forum. That’s interesting about the Octavia, would you like to share more experience about that car here in case someone is not happy with the Corolla and perhaps goes exactly towards Octavia as replacement. 👍

37 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Interesting about the Octavia. I actually did look into Octavia myself but since I have previously owned a Leon and wasn't happy with how underpowered the AC was in summer decided against it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Welcome to Toyota cars and forum. That’s interesting about the Octavia, would you like to share more experience about that car here in case someone is not happy with the Corolla and perhaps goes exactly towards Octavia as replacement. 👍

If it's anything like the Skoda Kamiq I have at the moment (Until my Corolla arrives) it will be issues with the Lane Assist and Emergency braking.

It's horrendous. I have to switch off the lane assist every time I get in the car (can't switch it off fully) as I can guarantee that the car will try to send me into a hedge at least once every journey.

• Like 1

I had a Tiguan and once had issues with the ACC whereby it was like it switched to a left hand drive and would not overtake anyone in the left hand lane, rather than slow down for anyone in the right hand lane.  It only happened the once.

It was also rubbish that you could not turn off lane assist.