Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Change

nevica

Hello,

I had a dead Battery on a 10 year old IQ on Saturday. The car was running perfectly.

After installing a new Battery I have found that the tickover/idle has reduced to less than 500 rpm and it looks like the fuel consumption is down as well.

What is going on? All I did was change the Battery? What could be the reasons that an idle speed will go below 500rpm?

Thanks,

Nevica

I've just changed the Battery on ours, it was 7 years old. Thought I'd better do it before winter takes hold. Cant say I've noticed any change. I'll be interested to see if anything else should be done other that disconnect the old one and pop in the new one. I know on the latest cars, there has to be a device connected so the car is told what type of Battery is fitted in order to get the electronics to give it the right amount of charge from the alternator. I hope this isn't the case on the IQ!

When you disconnect the Battery, the engine ECU, clocks, dash etc are reset. After a while, the engine ECU "Learns" your driving style and should return to normal shortly 

• Like 1

But surely tickover speed is a fundamental setting disregarding the ECU. Or is it dependent upon the ECU???

When you say that fuel consumption is down,do you mean that fuel consumption has improved, mpg is better?

No, it is too early to say about fuel consumption because it is a cold day today. I'll report back in a few days!!! The tickover is more concerning.

19 minutes ago, nevica said:

No, it is too early to say about fuel consumption because it is a cold day today. I'll report back in a few days!!! The tickover is more concerning.

Thanks D but it was you who said it had gone down !

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding...

38 minutes ago, mick787 said:

I've just changed the battery on ours, it was 7 years old. Thought I'd better do it before winter takes hold. Cant say I've noticed any change. I'll be interested to see if anything else should be done other that disconnect the old one and pop in the new one. I know on the latest cars, there has to be a device connected so the car is told what type of battery is fitted in order to get the electronics to give it the right amount of charge from the alternator. I hope this isn't the case on the IQ!

Nope, just take out old one and put in the new one. ECU will be reset!!!

• Like 1

I have had this, I Changed the Battery and it felt like the car was going to stall all the time due to idling to low, so I decided to disconnect the Battery and leave it for a hour then reconnected it and it idled at about 1500rpm and settled down after driving it a few miles.