Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing Gen 4 side windows - a warning

Will004

I was unfortunate enought to end up with stone chip damage to the front passenger side window of my Gen 4 Prius (it was in a car park with an unmade surface). Contacted Autoglass (insurer's approved repairer) and they fitted third party glass, which I was expecting. All seemed Ok until I noticed that the window was going up and down at half the speed and the bottom external trim with the seal was bowing out. As it happened, I had a booking at my Toyota Centre to finally sort out the battery/software issues I posted about during the Lockdown. I asked for an opinion on the glass. The technician's report said the glass was thicker that OEM glass, less than half a mm but enough to cause friction and bow out the trim. I measured it with my own micrometer and sure enough it was, compared to the other side. Remember the front side glass is laminated.

Autoglass came back with another one but I was ready with the micrometer - exactly the same problem so he didn't bother fitting. Then a third visit by a more senior guy with yet another third party glass. He agreed it would have to be Toyota glass as clearly the whole batch was not as claimed - identical to OEM glass. So eventually after about a month since the first visit I had a proper replacement. To be fair to Autoglass, they didn't suggest at any point that it wasn't their problem. I was also careful to not insist on Toyota glass to make sure I didn't get hit with the extra. No doubt Autoglass have taken it up with their supplier but anyone in a similar situation in the near future would be wise to check the glass carefully and ask if the problem has been resolved.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that excellent piece of info. Makes being a subscriber to this forum worthwhile.

Was it laminated the same as the original and did it have the rain repellent coating on the outside, same as original ?

It was certainly laminated but one or both were out by a fraction of a mm. The tint was spot on, but to be honest I didn't think about the rain coating. Good point though. Autoglass say on their website that any third party glass used has the same specifification as the original, so it should do. But then again it should have been the same size .......