Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When to change back to winter tyres

marlinleg

hello to one and all .I was wondering when you all change back to your winter tyres looking at the long range weather forecast suggesting it will be wet windy but not to cold 

You will get no benefit at all from winter tyres unless the ambient temperature drops below 7 degs C so that is the guideline time...

• 6 months later...

I usually replace my summer tires when temperature drops at 7 degrees. I also replace my wheels with steel wheels like the HD wheels that I have. It gives me more stability and less vulnerability to de-icing and salt. I learned my lesson a few years ago when I didn't replace and clean my wheels after winter and salt badly damaged the plating. 

• 4 months later...

Worth noting that modern winter tyres are generally much better than they used to be for wear  and typical autumn weather will not cause any major issues of wear for normal driving, so don't worry if you change them a 2 or 3 weeks earlier than optimal (if you regularly drive quick, then I would say its better to wait as when winter tyres get hot the sipes (slits that help grab snow and ice) do cause less block stability when hard cornering and faster wear).

• Like 1