Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo automatic

petroleum

HI,

I've just bought a Aygo automatic with 21,000 miles on it. I took it back to the dealers last week trying to explain that it doesn't drive quite like i think it should. What do you mean?  Trying to describe this is like some people who even own one would say. "Oh its just the one of the peculiarities of these autos. What, when your coasting down to a halt sign or traffic lights it kind of doesn't do it smooth like as though the actuator that does all the work for you changing the gears and the clutch that there might be a problem with the actuator intermittently making the clutch go in and out and so disengaging from the drive giving a slight shunting effect. "That's just how they are" the sales man replied! But there seems to be a slight shudder and that might be a potential problem with the clutch i replied and there is a intermittent miss fire on the engine i said which i think the spark plugs have never been changed from new and even if they can go up to 30,000 miles these days i recon they have never been gapped! To which he said he would replace them and sure enough he has because i checked and the engine is now running fine. But since getting the car back I've noticed the sequence of the gear changing has altered to the point of not being able to hold a 1st gear take off before it changes into second unlike before. Can they go into the computer and change this? But this is the main point that is strange. Since driving it in the wet for the first time that slight clutch judder has got to the point that if i took it back when it does it if they were honest calling himself too an old school mechanic he would surely have to admit something is trying show its self here? But at this moment in time when the engine has reached working temperature when this happens in the wet it doesn't do it the same and he again would say "There is nothing wrong with it "But there is! And so at this moment in time im left with the dilemma before my 3 months warranty is up because they will still maintain unless it shows it ugly head proper, that we dont know what yer going on about ; do i go for a refund unless some one here with experience can give me an idea of what may be at fault like I've tried to explain above thanks?   

Remember that an Aygo "automatic" isn't actually an automatic - it's the same clutch and manual gearbox as in a "manual" Aygo but with electromechanical actuators on the gear selector and clutch. This means that you are almost certain to feel it changing gear.

The earlier changing into second gear after the engine is now running better doesn't surprise  - if you're being gentle on the throttle the electronics will change up into second gear as soon as possible, which with an engine in better health will be sooner. AFAIK there are no dealer tweaks to change this behaviour.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for that, but what about the other part where i mention the strange clutch judder. and the car kind of feeling slightly disengaging before it comes to a halt. and so can the actuator if not an actual clutch fault cause both faults it its because of it possibly being lazy in its operation?

What year Aygo ?? i don't think there is an issue, these mmt gear boxes are not very refined, recalibrating the gearbox can help early cars 05-08 the gearboxes can be a bit hit and miss but it's just a characteristic of the mmt automated system

disconnecting the Battery for 15-20 mins and letting the ecus reset may help

Hi, thanks for your reply. Its a 2014 but saying again though has there been any reports of the actuators causing a slight judder from take off like as though they might get sticky in their operation, because if not even though its only done 21,000 miles i will have to consider a slowly but surely failing clutch which we all know is a common fault with them. That maybe a good idea trying a reset ; is there any thing to be careful about doing it with the Aygo ?

Edited by petroleum
to alter a few words

Failing clutches was an issue with Mk1 Aygos before 2008 when the clutch was changed from 180mm to 190mm which has solved the early failing clutch problem.

Disengaging before coming to a halt is the MMT changing into 1st gear ready to move off again.

• Like 1

The MMT boxes aren't the smoothest in the world, The aygo uses an electrical actuated clutch what can be harsh iirc there is a slight bit of adjustment in the clutch actuator mount, be light on the throttle pedal and let it engage

checking the oil level in the gearbox might not be a bad idea

• Like 1

Perks of a semi auto aygo, you'll get used to it eventually. I actually prefer it to the steady cvt in a yaris.

Yes, i understand that but its like the engine is intermittently slightly speeding up from its idle and so you get a slight shunting forward before it comes to a halt. I've also learned that the idle speed should be 850 rpm but that might be on the older models mine is 1000 so perhaps a reset might help because you cant reset these later throttle bodies, can you? 

Checking the oil level in the gearbox might not be a bad idea Yes i was thinking of checking that thanks.

By resetting the ecu it defaults to the base map as you drive it relearns, it may have been the case it was sat for a while and only started while parked - cars are like their owners they pick up bad habits over time

• Like 2

Hi, thanks for that. I've not tried anything on it right now because im seriously thinking of trying to claim a full refund before my 30 day period is up where it states on line if your dissatisfied or not happy for any reason your entitled to a full refund. Would that be correct? Just one more question for now. If i end up stuck with it do you know if the auto clutch kit is the same as the manual thanks?

A 2014 Aygo could be either a first generation or a second generation Aygo (introduced May 2014) - which is it?

Regardless of any warranty, if you bought the car from a dealer, you will be covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. 

See 'the first six months' section of https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

I think it would the second. According to the log book it was first registered on 31 / 03 /2014

22 minutes ago, petroleum said:

I think it would the second. According to the log book it was first registered on 31 / 03 /2014

Does it look more like this (Mark 1)

image.png.acf1d2cb49c6c39d28ef2538023adaa6.png

or more like this (Mark 2)?

image.png.9e75fe658a59f31cdb39c493d75fdf9a.png

06/2014 is the change over date, you always get cars that a registered later (old stock) and new generation (early demo cars) of that date

The clutch is supposedly different, there is a procedure you need to follow when changing it

https://webcat.schaeffler.com/web/schaeffler/en_GB/PKW/111/5442/18813/applicationSearch.xhtml?result=1603650604087&showResult=1

Hi, thanks very much for your time and information. I dont  know fi its just a one off day going to the shops this morning but it seemed to drive more like it should and when slowing down from second to first. If it stays that way im just wondering if when they changed the plugs they might have done a ECU reset and it has taken some time running it before it has settled down or even like you say has not been used properly even before i bought it.

I can put up with the possibility of a clutch problem because they have given me a 12 month warranty but there is nothing more irritating than a car that's not driving  proper which can sometimes turn out to be an obscure technical fault that was missed by every one at what ever garage a car was at. Which with these modern day cars is happening every day! Ill just have to see if it behaves its self within the next 2 weeks. Thanks.