Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cup holder jammed

Merlin5

Hi guys. I use the cup holder regularly but it's stuck. Normally I push on it to open, but it's solid.  You can see in my photo there's a gap at the bottom right where the holder is pushed upwards slightly and the left side has gone in too far.  Got any suggestions how to open it?

20201023_170842.thumb.jpg.53fb2af282d1dde88682f150f708902e.jpg

Have a look at the following:

pop the mirror switch surround/trim  off you should be able to get to the back of it then, failing that a plastic trim tool, or at a pinch a tapped up screwdriver and try to pry it free

Pics for reference

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-AURIS-CUP-HOLDER-55620-02100-55620-02100J/184323978782?hash=item2aea90b61e:g:sRYAAOSwOape4Nah

• Like 1

I had one broken, in the end took both, as 2nd needed the spring to be rewound.

I did not remove any trim at all, it's possible to pry it out without damaging the car.

One was like in your picture, pushing upwards, it's still possible to pry it out without removing the trim, in my case i used long flathead screwdriver wrapped in tape.

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply.  You've given me some good suggestions and I'll have a go tomorrow. 

Well guys,  I put gaffa tape around a flat head screwdriver and got it open but it's sitting at a slight angle towards the door. I'll have to leave it open because once pushed closed, the release mechanism doesn't work.  Also the main inner square flap doesn't spring down/vertically. Not that important, I can move it manually.

20201026_140737.thumb.jpg.2043dd729f4cfd35d9ccd7cfad45d4f2.jpg

20201026_141514.thumb.jpg.12307d2fc21838e06bca361a35f4e1a3.jpg

Take it out again, and put it back. I had the same happen, takes 2-3 times until you figure out how much tension you need on the spring, how to insert, etc.

13 minutes ago, furtula said:

Take it out again, and put it back. I had the same happen, takes 2-3 times until you figure out how much tension you need on the spring, how to insert, etc.

Oh I didn't take the whole unit out, I only forced open the holder. Should I pull hard on it and will that remove the unit without it breaking and springs flying everywhere? And there's a spring tensioner?

You can pry it out, but dont force it. If i remember correctly, once you open it, there are 2 places on which to apply force, to get it out. 

Shine some light on it once it's opened and you should find it.

Don't pull on it with significant force, it should come out fairly easily once you pop the right places.

It won't fall apart once it's out, but pay attention, on the back of it is a tiny pin, which drops in place once you push it fully closed, and keeps it there. Don't lose the pin.

Also, when putting it back, it's needed to wind the mechanism a bit, to function correctly, if you dont do it, it will open maybe 1/2, and be "lazy"

Thanks furtula.  Fortunately didn't have to go through that. I was just playing around with the hinge and runner of the square flap that wasn't springing down when the holder is first opened. I've marked it in yellow.

20201027_160532.thumb.jpg.e0eaea1b9994bc1ecb5a8147f7d17230.jpg

I noticed it wasn't sitting in the runner on the door side and now I've fixed that and the whole unit is working perfectly! It's still slightly angled but I can close and open it as normal. Pity I chipped the plastic in the centre of the front cover plate.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:13 PM, Merlin5 said:

Thanks furtula.  Fortunately didn't have to go through that. I was just playing around with the hinge and runner of the square flap that wasn't springing down when the holder is first opened. I've marked it in yellow.

20201027_160532.thumb.jpg.e0eaea1b9994bc1ecb5a8147f7d17230.jpg

I noticed it wasn't sitting in the runner on the door side and now I've fixed that and the whole unit is working perfectly! It's still slightly angled but I can close and open it as normal. Pity I chipped the plastic in the centre of the front cover plate.

You can remove that front cover plate and put a new one on if it bothers you too much. You can also find them with chrome strips on them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 8:13 AM, sponchie said:

You can remove that front cover plate and put a new one on if it bothers you too much. You can also find them with chrome strips on them.

Hi Sponchie, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I only just saw it! Ah, it's ok I guess. Every now and again I notice it but for the most part I don't even think about it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links