Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Sum1 Help?

mellow_yellow

hey i posted this q indirectly in another topic but got no respnse, so figured id post it again.

Basically, im considering DE-CATing my car and installing a new exhaust system in running down straight from the manifold. i want a four pipe exit (on a car that stock, has just one puney exuse for an exit) that purposefully backfires and pops on gear change - like the Focus RS. a local company said they can get the exhaust the way i want, but i might just loose some bhp. do they know what they are talkin about or not?

1. What year is your car. Catalyst is required for the MoT on all post-92 cars. Are you prepared to fit the catalyst at each MoT to pass the emission check?

2. Multiple exit pipes are heavier than a single pipe exhaust and will slow your car down

A certain amount of back pressure can also be a good thing. A larger exhaust will mean a colder exhaust if you are not trying to shift large volumes of gas. Hence the gas is not gas at the end. The scavenging effect is wasted and you could lose some power I guess.

This crowd do the units for popping and flaming on lift off and gear changes. :blink:

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/

This crowd do the units for popping and flaming on lift off and gear changes.  :blink:

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/

ah.. good old Takakaira... Excellent company. Have ordered my Cusco cooling Panel from them and numerous other bits and bobs....... not sure about the flaming kit mind....... :blink:

I'd loose the cat straight away, this will gain you some bhp, but how much depends on the quality of your engine, but i reckon you'd gain more than you loose by having 4 pipes, Make the cat replacement yourself and make it a bolt in affair with flanges at each end.

at the rear have TWO pipes on the back box then run a pipe out the back of the box and cross to the other side and stick your other two tailpipes on that (no box required) the second pair of pipes are more for show than go but at least they'll show condensation and smoke on cold mornings and at start up !

why do i need a cat replacement? flanges? i was jus gonna run a big juicy pipe down to the middle box then out to a back box and then do what you said bout the two pipes for show...

cant i just do that?

my car is a 97, but im not really bothered about the MOT thing, i've still got the original system hanging off my garage roof collecting dust. and spider food :wacko:

the cat replacement pipe with flanges at both ends will just make it easier to replace the Cat section by unbolting at MOT time rather than f##k about with a whole system

You can make exhausts too fat also you'll need upto 2.5" for a NA engine and 3" for turbo (roughly)

thanks for your help guys, watch this space to see how it goes...