Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MY21 Rav4

Devon Aygo

Toyota have announced details of new MY21 updates:

New Black Edition above Dynamic trim:

•  Full black body colour
  • Black painted front radiator grille with ICS
  • Black painted front skid plate
  • Black painted rear skid plate
  • Black painted rear garnish
  • 19" wheel "EMO" stud Black
  • Interior: Grey stitching
  • JBL

Other models:

• New 19” Alloy Wheels on Dynamic and Excel grades
  • Motion sensor added to support anti-relay attack
  • Hybrid pack including scuff plates and key cover

2wd Orders are now open due to low stock of MY20.5

4wd Orders TBC once current stock 600+ of MY20.5 is run down 

• Thanks 1

Hi and thanks for that information.

So I ordered my excel in August and the order book was opened in September.

I have a delivery date of Week 14 December.

Does that mean that mine will be MY 21 ?
regards Terry

The 19 inch wheels look good!

@Devon Aygo does the Black Edition include a digital rear view mirror?  The press releases earlier in the year stated it did, but the website makes no mention of it.

22 hours ago, duncerduncs said:

The 19 inch wheels look good!

@Devon Aygo does the Black Edition include a digital rear view mirror?  The press releases earlier in the year stated it did, but the website makes no mention of it.

I can't see any info about it other then the Blog post, I have emailed Toyota and await a response.

Have just taken delivery of a new Excel MY21

Thrilled with it, and the 19" wheels look terrific. Be aware however, that a space saver in the boot isn't available - the full size spare has now been replaced with a bottle of gunk. To me, in the real world, this is a step backwards. I appreciate the thinking behind it, namely achieving a weight reduction.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Encayoh said:

Thrilled with it, and the 19" wheels look terrific. Be aware however, that a space saver in the boot isn't available - the full size spare has now been replaced with a bottle of gunk. To me, in the real world, this is a step backwards. I appreciate the thinking behind it, namely achieving a weight reduction.

Do you have the sunroof because if you have a sunroof in the 2019 model you can’t have a spare because the extra weight takes it over the emissions level or the car. Of course there is no reason why can’t put a spare in yourself after you take delivery.

5 hours ago, Encayoh said:

Hi Keith

good to hear that you have a MY21 model Excel.

Can I ask when you ordered  it ??  As above I ordered mine in August withe delivery date 14 December.

Really not sure what I am going to get but seeing your post I am obviously hoping for the same..

regardsTerry

Hi chaps

I didn't specify the sunroof, and was expecting the spare wheel - I saw that one negated the other. I'm lead to believe that since I ordered it back in August, the spec changed and I received the MY21

A trip to my local dealer yesterday was met with 'there are no steel wheels and a space saver isn't available for your car'. I forgot to ask for the price of a single alloy, but will check the dimensions in the boot first anyway before I consider getting one.

A trawl of the internet shows that any space saver must be within 4% of the circumference of the existing tyre, and 19" versions are available for other cars, albeit less readily. I read something about wheel offsets or some such, but still need to get my head around what this means. I assume its something to do with the geometry of the wheel versus the car??

The reg-checker thing on these sites doesn't recognise my car yet, so I'm hoping in time I'll find something.

Will of course post here if I succeed.

Regards

Keith

11 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Hi Keith

good to hear that you have a MY21 model Excel.

Can I ask when you ordered  it ??  As above I ordered mine in August withe delivery date 14 December.

Really not sure what I am going to get but seeing your post I am obviously hoping for the same..

regardsTerry

I ordered through a broker, and was quoted 6-8 weeks delivery. this was right on the money.

1 hour ago, Encayoh said:

Hi chaps

I didn't specify the sunroof, and was expecting the spare wheel - I saw that one negated the other. I'm lead to believe that since I ordered it back in August, the spec changed and I received the MY21

A trip to my local dealer yesterday was met with 'there are no steel wheels and a space saver isn't available for your car'. I forgot to ask for the price of a single alloy, but will check the dimensions in the boot first anyway before I consider getting one.

A trawl of the internet shows that any space saver must be within 4% of the circumference of the existing tyre, and 19" versions are available for other cars, albeit less readily. I read something about wheel offsets or some such, but still need to get my head around what this means. I assume its something to do with the geometry of the wheel versus the car??

The reg-checker thing on these sites doesn't recognise my car yet, so I'm hoping in time I'll find something.

Will of course post here if I succeed.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith

That is a really good delivery time, hoping I may get a call soon. Is yours a 2 wheel drive?

Can you tell me what the 19 inch wheel tyre dimensions are please as I already have a new 18 inch spare purchased on the previous   model specs. Hopefully I will still be able to use it if it is within the overall tolerances.

Opono is the place to go for a new wheel. ( online )

I got a wheel and new tyre ( tyre locally ) did the lot for £200 which is a fraction of dealer price.Only other thing was a insert that goes into the centre of the wheel. ( eBay, about £3.00 for four of them.)

2 ton jack on eBay for £10 and an extendable wrench at about £7.00. You can also get the Toyota screw to hold the spare down from the Toyota online store for about £7.00.

regards Terry.

Hi Terry,

I found the following guide quite helpful. I can only assume it is accurate:

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/guide/what-space-saver-wheel-and-tyre-0

My wheels are 225x55x19, therefore will require a space saver of 28.74" using the tyremen calculation.

I've had a measure and the existing wheel is around 28" diameter when fitted, so seems to be about right.

I can't help but think an 18" wheel wouldn't be suitable - fine for doing a tyre rotation, but less so for driving - anyone have any other thoughts?

Thank you for the Opono recommendation - a quick look didn't show anything for mine yet - I'm nervous about ordering a steel wheel without being 100% I understand the offset and other parameters required. I'm going to wait until my model is more widely known and the spec can be pulled from my registration number.

Best,

Keith

11 minutes ago, Encayoh said:

Hi Terry,

My wheels are 225x55x19, therefore will require a space saver of 28.74" using the tyremen calculation.

I've had a measure and the existing wheel is around 28" diameter when fitted, so seems to be about right.

I can't help but think an 18" wheel wouldn't be suitable - fine for doing a tyre rotation, but less so for driving - anyone have any other thoughts?

Thank you for the Opono recommendation - a quick look didn't show anything for mine yet - I'm nervous about ordering a steel wheel without being 100% I understand the offset and other parameters required. I'm going to wait until my model is more widely known and the spec can be pulled from my registration number.

Best,

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks, really appreciate that information.

I actually purchased a full size aluminium wheel as it will fit into the recess in the floor. A friend of mine already has an excel so I have been able to measure his boot recess.

The overall height of the wheel is the important bit as I am sure you already know.Thanks to your information I now know the following 

18 inch wheel is 28.2 inches. and  19 inch wheel is 28.7 inches. This is + 1.8 % so well within the 4% guidelines.

The tyre site I got this from is    Tire Size.com

I also have the 2 wheel drive on order.

Fingers crossed that I will also receive the MY21 model as those wheels look really nice.

Thanks again for the information and quick reply.

regards Terry

On 10/25/2020 at 10:56 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota have announced details of new MY21 updates:

New Black Edition above Dynamic trim:

•  Full black body colour
  • Black painted front radiator grille with ICS
  • Black painted front skid plate
  • Black painted rear skid plate
  • Black painted rear garnish
  • 19" wheel "EMO" stud Black
  • Interior: Grey stitching
  • JBL

Other models:

• New 19” Alloy Wheels on Dynamic and Excel grades
  • Motion sensor added to support anti-relay attack
  • Hybrid pack including scuff plates and key cover

2wd Orders are now open due to low stock of MY20.5

4wd Orders TBC once current stock 600+ of MY20.5 is run down 

I'm confused was the anti relay attack not added to the MY20

Is this to stop them boosting your key fob signal to steal your car? 

2 minutes ago, griff279 said:

I'm confused was the anti relay attack not added to the MY20

Is this to stop them boosting your key fob signal to steal your car? 

Hi

Yes, Sure it was added but very recently.I am sure that I have seen this mentioned on a previous post on this site.As I understand it the key goes to sleep and switches off when it isn't moved.

As said, a friend of mine has the Excel, delivered early July but he hasn’t got that on his. He does have a button on his key fob that he can switch it off with though. At least thats what I think he said.

What I want to know is exactly what you get in this Hybrid pack??
Terry

18 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Hi

Yes, Sure it was added but very recently.I am sure that I have seen this mentioned on a previous post on this site.As I understand it the key goes to sleep and switches off when it isn't moved.

As said, a friend of mine has the Excel, delivered early July but he hasn’t got that on his. He does have a button on his key fob that he can switch it off with though. At least thats what I think he said.

What I want to know is exactly what you get in this Hybrid pack??
Terry

Is he sure he has a button?,  we have two rav4s and I know mine was built after July and that doesn't have a button to turn it off, is he confused with the key blade release button? 

23 minutes ago, 182_blue said:

Is he sure he has a button?,  we have two rav4s and I know mine was built after July and that doesn't have a button to turn it off, is he confused with the key blade release button? 

Hi

will be seeing him tomorrow so will check it out and come back to you.

Terry

sorry but as a lot of motorway miles driver I wouldn't buy a car with 19" wheels rather have a better ride than a minimal cosmetic tweak. Tried many cars back to back over the years and its always been a inch too far for me as could feel the difference instantly.

Interested they have more 4wd 20.5 models left over. I suspect after the WLTP emission ratings took over UK company car sales slowed down for the 4WD. My company limits petrol car choice to sub 130g/km. So I could no longer have the 4wd I had last September as its well over now. The 2wd just, just scrapes in. 130g/km is a common ceiling apparently.

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

sorry but as a lot of motorway miles driver I wouldn't buy a car with 19" wheels rather have a better ride than a minimal cosmetic tweak. Tried many cars back to back over the years and its always been a inch too far for me as could feel the difference instantly.

Interested they have more 4wd 20.5 models left over. I suspect after the WLTP emission ratings took over UK company car sales slowed down for the 4WD. My company limits petrol car choice to sub 130g/km. So I could no longer have the 4wd I had last September as its well over now. The 2wd just, just scrapes in. 130g/km is a common ceiling apparently.

Hi, yes I must admit that the ride quality has crossed my mind as well even though I do prefer the look of the 19 inch wheels. Not that I have any choice in what I get anyway. This new one for me will be at least 5 years so if it is to choppy a ride then it will be a set of new wheels at some point.

Get the impression that there was always a bit of a shortage of 2 wheel drive cars available and they obviously overcooked production of AWD.

Terry

On 10/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, Encayoh said:

Hi Terry,

Best,

Keith

9 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

On 10/30/2020 at 10:42 PM, Terry10 said:

Reference the previous post about the key fob. I got this wrong about a button to disable it.

However it is as follows.

Press and hold lock button.Press unlock button twice and watch the red light flash four times. FOB DISABLED.

To undo, press unlock.

Apparently this is in the handbook.

regards Terry

14 hours ago, Terry10 said:

Reference the previous post about the key fob. I got this wrong about a button to disable it.

However it is as follows.

Press and hold lock button.Press unlock button twice and watch the red light flash four times. FOB DISABLED.

To undo, press unlock.

Apparently this is in the handbook.

regards Terry

That's the same for all keyless entry Toyota's.

MY 20.5 included the motion sensor in the key - it definitely works! 

17 hours ago, Terry10 said:

...Press and hold lock button. Press unlock button twice and watch the red light flash four times. FOB DISABLED...

Personally, I'd still do this if my key had the motion sensor feature (I think Ford did this first, and offered free upgrades to some customers too - which I assume meant giving them new keys).

My worry would be that if the key was in my pocket, or somewhere that it could get disturbed, it would get woken up every so often - or am I missing something?

Hi

Thats true of the latest MY21 model as I believe it goes to sleep when not moved.

However the MY 20.5 and previous I am led to believe will stay turned off if you do as above until you physically press the unlock button.

Guess you could press it accidentally whilst in your pocket or whatever and activate it again.

My mate just does his at night as a security measure which is really what its for I assume.

Better than nothing though.

Terry

On 11/1/2020 at 1:48 PM, duncerduncs said:

That's the same for all keyless entry Toyota's.

MY 20.5 included the motion sensor in the key - it definitely works! 

How do you tell if you have a 20.5 or if your key has this feature? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links