Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MY21 Rav4

Devon Aygo

Hi Shaun

I really haven’t got a clue how you tell the difference.

My mate’s car has the press button feature and he took delivery early July 2020.

I have been reading up on the MY21 model and one of the pieces mentioned that the key went to sleep if it wasn’t moved and therefore protects from electronic theft.

Encayoh ( Keith ) who posted near the top here has just taken delivery of a MY21 model so maybe he can let us know the difference.

regards Terry

On 11/1/2020 at 7:38 PM, Terry10 said:

Encayoh ( Keith ) who posted near the top here has just taken delivery of a MY21 model so maybe he can let us know the difference.

Morning chaps

Not entirely sure what you're asking - no extra switches on my key - happy to take pics or have a play if needed

Nothing in the manual either.

Keith

Hi Keith

It appears that models previous to yours the key can be disabled by holding down buttons and waiting for the red light to flash etc.see above post.

The MY21 model key just goes to sleep when it is not moved ( ie left on a shelf or whatever)

This is all to stop electronic car theft.

Obviously this should all be in your handbook.

So which does yours do?
regards Terry

On 11/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, 182_blue said:

How do you tell if you have a 20.5 or if your key has this feature? 

Mine has an 'AWD-i' Badge under the Hybrid logo on the back - model years 20.5 onwards have this Badge.

How do I know the motion sensor works? I've got a mechanic friend who has the 'tools' to test it!

11 hours ago, Encayoh said:

Morning chaps

Not entirely sure what you're asking - no extra switches on my key - happy to take pics or have a play if needed

Nothing in the manual either.

Keith

It would be interesting to see inside yours, I can't see any model numbers on mine tbh. 

20201103_211148.jpg

1604437942387.jpg

Will try and leave my keys on the roof for 5 mins and then try opening the drivers door.

if it doesn't open then the 20,5 has the motion sensor in the key

11 hours ago, griff279 said:

Will try and leave my keys on the roof for 5 mins and then try opening the drivers door.

I tried the 'roof test' and can attest to the key going to sleep - a really good security feature that I'm now reassured about.

I couldn't easily disassemble the key - it looks to be subtly different to the pic posted previously - hoped the attached pics are useful.

Keith

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2917.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Encayoh said:

I tried the 'roof test' and can attest to the key going to sleep...

Out of interest, does the "Battery save" feature still work on your key (press unlock twice while holding the lock button in - confirmed by 2 double flashes of the red light on the key)?

1 minute ago, PeteB said:

Out of interest, does the "battery save" feature still work on your key (press unlock twice while holding the lock button in - confirmed by 2 double flashes of the red light on the key)?

Yep - have just tried it 😀

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith

That confirms that then.

wouldn't expect you to take the key apart on a brand new car mate

As you say, that is good to know

regards Terry

2 hours ago, Encayoh said:

I tried the 'roof test' and can attest to the key going to sleep - a really good security feature that I'm now reassured about.

I couldn't easily disassemble the key - it looks to be subtly different to the pic posted previously - hoped the attached pics are useful.

Keith

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2917.jpeg

This is the spare, look to be exactly the same as yours with same markings on etc, both mine and my wife's show that info too

20201103_211706.jpg

Thanks Terry10. 

They say you live and learn!

I have had 5 keyless Toyota's over recent year but didn't realise you could put the fob to sleep. Just tried it on my 2019 Rav4 and my wife's 5 year old Yaris. Worked on both. Also WhatsApped my son to try it on his Prius. Thanks 

37 minutes ago, Yorkboy said:

Thanks Terry10. 

They say you live and learn!

I have had 5 keyless Toyota's over recent year but didn't realise you could put the fob to sleep. Just tried it on my 2019 Rav4 and my wife's 5 year old Yaris. Worked on both. Also WhatsApped my son to try it on his Prius. Thanks 

Hi

Good to hear. I haven’t even got my new Rav4 yet!!!!!  Just happen to have a mate who is a compulsive manual reader😂😂

regards Terry

• 1 month later...

Hi all

At Last, MY21 model with 19 inch wheels etc being delivered to my door on 17 December.

Got the reg number sent through today so all good.

Been a 4 month wait but guess I am lucky compared to some of you.

Terry

• Like 2

Well, honestly I do consider that the newest Rav4 model is probably one of the best looking toyota crossover. I mean, the rav4 has always been a pretty car, however the last model is just beautiful in my opinion. And the new Black Edition, looks insane! It does not look anymore like a car for your wife or your mom, not at all. However, I am not yet sure in their reliability. My wife owns a 2004 rav4, we bought it back in 2004. The car is just incredible, during the 16 years of experience with that car, the only thing that has actually broken in it was the ECM. Nevertheless, we found it for a really great price on https://qcwo.com/technicaldomain/product/2001-2005-toyota-rav4-ecm-repair-service/. After replacing the ecm, the car acts just like a new one.

Hi, finally took delivery of my MY21 Rav 4 Excel yesterday and I am over the moon with it.

If I have any reservations at all , it is that the grey leather is a little on the light side. I have some Dr Leather stain block so I think the seats will get a coat of that very shortly

Brilliant car

regards Terry

Hi all,

Just bought a new 2021 Dynamic for delivery first week of Jan 21.  Joined up and saw this thread.  My answer to the key problem has always been cheap "faraday" wallets bought off AMAZON, under a tenner and work perfectly!

Thinking of taking out a 5 year service plan, are they worth it? How much?  No registration number yet so can't put it into the website.

Make sure the service plan is based on the fixed price servicing costs - check with your dealer's service department beforehand what their fixed price service costs are. Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first: Intermediate at 12 months/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, 5 years/50,000 miles, etc; Full services at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc. Need a price for Intermediate service and Full service. Do you want to include MOT's for years 3+?

The main thing about service plans is that they fix your costs over the period of the plan. Toyota service costs haven't been subject to any price increase for a while, so some adjustment may soon be due. Depending on the dealer, service plans may also include benefits such as a % off parts/accessories, labour costs for non-service work, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

Make sure the service plan is based on the fixed price servicing costs - check with your dealer's service department beforehand what their fixed price service costs are. Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first: Intermediate at 12 months/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, 5 years/50,000 miles, etc; Full services at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc. Need a price for Intermediate service and Full service. Do you want to include MOT's for years 3+?

The main thing about service plans is that they fix your costs over the period of the plan. Toyota service costs haven't been subject to any price increase for a while, so some adjustment may soon be due. Depending on the dealer, service plans may also include benefits such as a % off parts/accessories, labour costs for non-service work, etc.

... and ... 5 years is a fairly long time ahead - my service plan is 2 years (the same as the PCP period) and 'conveniently' covers 1 intermediate and 1 full service. In two years time I will take out a plan for the next two years assuming that I still expect to be keeping the car for that length of time (which, today, I certainly do).

One 'nice' thing about the service plan is the fact that you can get your car serviced without getting out your wallet to pay for it ... 🙂

... but you must equally appreciate that you have already paid for it in full (less discount) and entirely upfront ... 😉

Edit: oh, and costs ... for mine it would be £190 for the intermediate and £340 for the full - I can't see yours being different

• Like 1