Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of buying a 2010 RAV4. How expensive is maintenance?

kissinger

I've been on the hunt for a new car for a couple of months now. I've found a facelifted 2010 RAV4 that I really like, but I was wondering if it's going to be really expensive to maintain compared to, say, a similar age Avensis or Auris? 

I read that the RAV4 service interval is 5k miles, which seems really low (and really expensive)! Do you guys recommend sticking to that, or can you get away with 10k safely? Is it expensive to maintain in other ways as well? I'm expecting tyres to cost, but can't really think of anything else that will be out of the ordinary. 

I bought my RAV four years ago with 13k on the clock, now it's just gone over 40k. 2l petrol with CVT gearbox. Mainly short journeys, average fuel consumption 27MPG. Service plan at main dealer is about £700 - £800 for 3 years. Extended warranty is £500 for two years (can be renewed until car is 12 years old or 100k mileage). Apart from this since I've bought the car I bought 4 new tyres (Michelin Latitude Sport, about £440 in total), front wipers every year (OEM set about £20) and replaced gear selector bulb (didn't need to buy one, had few spare ones in the shed 😊). Service interval is 10k miles or every year. Excellent car in terms of reliability. 

That sounds pretty decent. I'm looking at getting the D-4D diesel manual though. Not sure if that one is more expensive to maintain. I also won't be able to purchase the extended warranty because I'll be just over the 100k mileage limit. 

Can't really say anything about diesel, I've heard that they are not as reliable as petrol, don't know if it's true or not though. 

22 hours ago, kissinger said:

I've been on the hunt for a new car for a couple of months now. I've found a facelifted 2010 RAV4 that I really like, but I was wondering if it's going to be really expensive to maintain compared to, say, a similar age Avensis or Auris? 

I read that the RAV4 service interval is 5k miles, which seems really low (and really expensive)! Do you guys recommend sticking to that, or can you get away with 10k safely? Is it expensive to maintain in other ways as well? I'm expecting tyres to cost, but can't really think of anything else that will be out of the ordinary. 

Service schedule is every 10,000 miles /12 month for normal use, its is only 5,000/6 month if car is used in extreme use e.g. intensive farming/off-road/mining etc.

As the car is over 5 years Toyota offer the 5+Club ( Free to sign up ) which gives 20% of servicing so £152 ( apposed to £190 ) for an Intermediate service and £272 ( apposed to £340 ) for a Full service.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:59 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Service schedule is every 10,000 miles /12 month for normal use, its is only 5,000/6 month if car is used in extreme use e.g. intensive farming/off-road/mining etc.

As the car is over 5 years Toyota offer the 5+Club ( Free to sign up ) which gives 20% of servicing so £152 ( apposed to £190 ) for an Intermediate service and £272 ( apposed to £340 ) for a Full service.

Thanks, I did end up buying the car, and I think I'll take advantage of this offer. 

However! Major problem with it. I got it yesterday afternoon and checked the oil this morning before my first commute and it's well over the fill line! I'm hoping it's just because of an overfill at the recent service, but I'm worried that it's a much worse problem (maybe the turbo failing). Is this a common problem with RAVs? Not sure whether to try to return the car, because other than that I think it's great. 

If the oil is over filled, that’s not likely to be due to a failing turbo, but a ham fisted seller. If it were a diesel, I would be worried the seller is trying to hide excessive oil consumption by over filling it, but that’s another story. It’s easy enough to drain a little of you don’t mind getting your hands dirty, failing that any reputable garage will be happy to change the oil for you - it’s not going to be thy expensive and at least you know it’s been done.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible (highly unlikely) there could be diesel fuel leak past the piston rings hence the rising oil level. This is harder to detect than water mixing with oil.

Had the car been sat idle for a long time? Rings can then rust if the engine hasn't been turned over in a long time. Drain some out take it for a long run (take some oil with you just in case)

then check it again. Personally if using a garage the mechanic will charge you for draining some out anyway, maybe worth just doing an oil change for peace of mind.