Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris TS 1.4. D-4D vs 2.0. D-4D

korxz

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used Auris TS and I narrowed the selection to 2 cars. One is 1.4. D-4D (5/2016) Luna and the other is 2.0. D-4D (1/2015) Sol. I would like your honest opinion for which engine to go and if you have any particular tips on what to check on the cars before buying it (like famous rust places...).

I will do aprox. 10km of city drive in each direction going to and from work and some highway driving over the weekends. When I asked around people said 1.4. is going to be plenty enough. Prices of both cars is pretty much the same, so I am looking for owner experience.

Thank you for your help.

Why have you excluded gasoline engines? Gasoline engine is more suited for your daily commute. 

I didn't exclude them, unfourtunately there are none on the used car market where I live.

With such a low daily mileage a Diesel could be a poor choice as Diesel particulate/EGR issues are highly likely

• Like 1

Is it Ireland your from? Seem to remember Sol was an Irish trim spec?

Your driving route would highly suit a hybrid. A work colleague of mine had A VW diesel that was less than 5 years old. She had no end of problems as her distance to work was 5 miles! We told her to get a petrol! She didn't! I left the company so don't know what happened next. A diesel takes ages to warm up.

James.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, korxz said:

Hi,

I am looking to buy a used Auris TS and I narrowed the selection to 2 cars. One is 1.4. D-4D (5/2016) Luna and the other is 2.0. D-4D (1/2015) Sol. I would like your honest opinion for which engine to go and if you have any particular tips on what to check on the cars before buying it (like famous rust places...).

I will do aprox. 10km of city drive in each direction going to and from work and some highway driving over the weekends. When I asked around people said 1.4. is going to be plenty enough. Prices of both cars is pretty much the same, so I am looking for owner experience.

Thank you for your help.

I have the 1.4 d4d In a 2015 Auris sports Tourer . Its go well but fast and need to change down on some hills but happy with the car . I belive with a 2016 model at least in the uk the car would be a 1.6 BMW engine . I bought the 1.4 D4d as I was told it was the more reliablr engine

8 hours ago, Auris James said:

Is it Ireland your from? Seem to remember Sol was an Irish trim spec?

Your driving route would highly suit a hybrid. A work colleague of mine had A VW diesel that was less than 5 years old. She had no end of problems as her distance to work was 5 miles! We told her to get a petrol! She didn't! I left the company so don't know what happened next. A diesel takes ages to warm up.

James.

No I am from Slovenia. As far as I know Sol is the top line spec. you can get here in Slovenia.

Currently I own a petrol engine car and the city drive causes no problems, my parent own a 2.0 HDI from 2008 and are driving it 90% on city drives less then 2km in each direct to work. The car hasn't had any issues with EGR so far. Yes I am aware it's not the same engine and a petrol engine would be more suited for my type of driving, issue is there aren't many petrol engine SW on the market, especily not Toyotas. There are some Octavias and Leons with TSI engines and Focuses with Ecoboosts but that is pretty much it if you are choosing a petrol engine SW here on the market.

1 hour ago, stevecrvn said:

I have the 1.4 d4d In a 2015 Auris sports Tourer . Its go well but fast and need to change down on some hills but happy with the car . I belive with a 2016 model at least in the uk the car would be a 1.6 BMW engine . I bought the 1.4 D4d as I was told it was the more reliablr engine

I will take a closer look to that 1.4. D-4D from 2016. How about crusing down the highway 130km/h, do you have to hit the pedal hard to get to that speed. I am waiting for the Covid lock down to soften so I can go on a test drive with that car.

8 hours ago, korxz said:

No I am from Slovenia. As far as I know Sol is the top line spec. you can get here in Slovenia.

Currently I own a petrol engine car and the city drive causes no problems, my parent own a 2.0 HDI from 2008 and are driving it 90% on city drives less then 2km in each direct to work. The car hasn't had any issues with EGR so far. Yes I am aware it's not the same engine and a petrol engine would be more suited for my type of driving, issue is there aren't many petrol engine SW on the market, especily not Toyotas. There are some Octavias and Leons with TSI engines and Focuses with Ecoboosts but that is pretty much it if you are choosing a petrol engine SW here on the market.

I will take a closer look to that 1.4. D-4D from 2016. How about crusing down the highway 130km/h, do you have to hit the pedal hard to get to that speed. I am waiting for the Covid lock down to soften so I can go on a test drive with that car.

It Cruises along well at 70 mph . I tend to go along at 60 mph and the car is doing about 60 miles to  the gallon

If you can buy a hybrid would be the best choice that you can make, diesels are no go especially in U.K. but Slovenia might be an option however they will follow soon the big countries regulations and your investment may become total lost unless you want to buy a new car and dealers offer a good amount for exchange of your diesel Auris. If you going for a diesel car you maybe better suited with another make, Peugeot for example can offer much better diesel options in 308 sw and that car can be as reliable as Toyota or even more, Toyota are best in hybrid technology. And if you still want to get a diesel Toyota better choice will be 1.4d their own diesel, it’s not very powerful or super efficient but it’s fine for normal driving. 
Good luck with any of your choice. 👍🚗

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If you can buy a hybrid would be the best choice that you can make, diesels are no go especially in U.K. but Slovenia might be an option however they will follow soon the big countries regulations and your investment may become total lost unless you want to buy a new car and dealers offer a good amount for exchange of your diesel Auris. If you going for a diesel car you maybe better suited with another make, Peugeot for example can offer much better diesel options in 308 sw and that car can be as reliable as Toyota or even more, Toyota are best in hybrid technology. And if you still want to get a diesel Toyota better choice will be 1.4d their own diesel, it’s not very powerful or super efficient but it’s fine for normal driving. 
Good luck with any of your choice. 👍🚗

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of diesl regulation, 2.0. is EURO5 when 1.4. it's EURO6 at least. I don't know about Peugeot. I was considering them (308 SW) but I heard too much bad things about them. I would much rather prefer a non turbo powered gasoline engine sience it's more suited for my current needs.

And yesterday I was talking to my local mechanic who also suggested to me to go for a Toyota, he said a weekend drive on highway should be enough to clear EGR filter, but also that I need to be aware if something would go wrong a diesl car repair is probably going to be more costly then a petrol one.

Can always pop to Croatia or Austria and check out their used car market. No need to limit yourself to your own country, when you have 2 big cities quite close to you, and no tax involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links