Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Are all 1NR-FE engines the same?

Yaris_1NR

We have a MkII Yaris 2011 1.33  6 speed with stop & stop and the garage have confirmed that 1NR is stamped on the engine.

I believe this must be 1NR-FE.  The VIN also indicates its a French car.

We did have some noises from the engine at low revs engine which has since been flushed and fresh oil put in and noise has disappeared.  Garage suspects timing chain tensioner was affected by sludge.

Reading up on this some folks seem to carry on fine with a flush, but if noise returns then I guess we may be either looking at a replacement timing chain or perhaps a replacement used engine.

Hence my question about MKII and MkIII engines if they share the same engine code would they be a directly compatible donor?

Many thanks for any advice

Sludge fowls up the lubrication system, and plays havoc with the vvti system (likely cause of the noise) the chain tensioner is sprung loaded not oil driven

Engine wise it depends on if its burning oil, if it is swap the engine for one around the same year Gen 2 Yaris

Thanks for that.

Just to confirm are any MK3 Engines with the same Engine Code NR1-FE likely to be compatable as this opens up a lot more available options, especially lower mileage.  On paper the spec appears the same,

What are the potential compatability issues?  Are we talking a different engine casting with different engine mounting points or what?

Thanks once again for any help

One breaker has just come back and told me that if the engine code matches then there should be no problem.  Although eBay seems to randomly say compatible or incompatible on engines which have a matching engine code?.   

I am guessing it might help to match gearbox - i.e. our car is a six speed or is this not relevant?

i know there are differences between starter motor locations and possibly the flywheel in relation to the size and offset from the block

according to the epc that specific engine is in the yaris between 02/2010 to 07/2011 and Auris 02/2010 to 01/2013 (Stop and start system)

• 3 weeks later...

The 1 NR in your Mk2 Yaris shares with:

MK2 Yaris

Urban Cruiser

Auris Mk1

It does not share with:

Mk3 Yaris

Mk2 Auris

IQ

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links